Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:44 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have just done a couple of calculations.

LHR-LAX-LHR used to earn a total of 32,652 miles in F but under the new scheme will net you 27,210 as a Gold member so this is a drop of 17%.
This route also earned 480points rt now it is only 360 a drop of 25%

LHR-FCO-LHRused to earn 1796 miles in C and will still earn exactly the same miles if you are Gold.

This route used to net 120 points but now only gets 80 a drop of 33%

edited to reflect a few bomabays at lunchtime means my math has gone to crap.
Thanks Canista

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skippythelizard:

I think they're going to end up with a lot more upgrades.
</font>
That's also my opinion and IMO it contradicts completely BA's so-called Premium positioning – with a revised F service (and on maintained routes a service that can be quite inconsistent) and now likely to be more people in CW, what exactly is the aim? WT+ is a very disappointing service in my experience – cramped, over-priced and less appealing than E+ on UA or even MRTC on AA (considering the price difference).

As usual also, lower fares are treated with total contempt, which doesn’t really reflect the realities of air travel (unless in the rarefied class of the free-spending exec).

Pretty poor overall.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
And lets not even start on u**grades... if I read it right, you can do it from J/C/D/I?? so we'll have all the people buying elcheapo I-class sat in F??

dnw
</font>
According to the North America Brochure, 50% of the miles required to redeem an economy award ticket on a route can be used to upgrade one class of service.

It says "full fare ticket" ... but for economy tickets it says Y, B & H ... for WT+ is says W & T ... for Club it says J, C, D & I.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:46 am

edited because it's Friday

[This message has been edited by Canista (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canista:
That's also my opinion and IMO it contradicts completely BA's so-called Premium positioning – with a revised F service (and on maintained routes a service that can be quite inconsistent) and now likely to be more people in CW, what exactly is the aim? WT+ is a very disappointing service in my experience – cramped, over-priced and less appealing than E+ on UA or even MRTC on AA (considering the price difference).

As usual also, lower fares are treated with total contempt, which doesn’t really reflect the realities of air travel (unless in the rarefied class of the free-spending exec).

Pretty poor overall.
</font>

Another thing is that if the upgrades book into regular award inventory (my suspicion because of a recent experience where I'm not getting credit for a flight on which I was op-up'd), I think we're going to end up with a lot less award availability as well.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:52 am

I am having trouble finding how this effects US domestic redemptions. On AA now it is 25K for coach and 40K for business. Has anyone found if this changes? I am not understanding if or how this info is included in the 12 zones. What happens to redemption tickets booked before July 1 for travel after that date?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goingnow:
I am having trouble finding how this effects US domestic redemptions. On AA now it is 25K for coach and 40K for business. Has anyone found if this changes? I am not understanding if or how this info is included in the 12 zones. What happens to redemption tickets booked before July 1 for travel after that date?</font>
You'll notice the award chart that talks about zones shows it is for BA flights, or BA flights in combination with one OneWorld partner. For redemption travel exclusively on partner airlines or for a redemption booking on British Airways and more than one oneworld alliance partner please refer to "The detail".

(Of course "the detail" is referenced several times, and does not appear to exist.)
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goingnow:
I am having trouble finding how this effects US domestic redemptions. On AA now it is 25K for coach and 40K for business. Has anyone found if this changes? I am not understanding if or how this info is included in the 12 zones. What happens to redemption tickets booked before July 1 for travel after that date?</font>
Have a look at http://www.britishairways.com/execut...tner_only.html which says it's for single partner (no BA travel) rewards. That gives a base of 25,000 for North American travel.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"That's not the way I read it Dave ... sounds to me like they are removing the 3600 tier point companion silver card because of customer feedback."

Ignore my stupidity. I misread that bit. You are correct, they are removing the companion card. I find it hard to believe that customer feedback was that people didnt want it

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:25 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Note that Merry is conspicuous by his abscence. And Pucci hasn't got a lot to say either. If I go for 2 x First Class 'down under' redemptions in June, for say, travel in 12 months time...do you think I could get them validated for a further 12 months without incurring a further mileage penalty ?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:27 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mike turnbull:
Note that Merry is conspicuous by his abscence. And Pucci hasn't got a lot to say either. </font>
I guess some people have to work

Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
I misread that bit. You are correct, they are removing the companion card. I find it hard to believe that customer feedback was that people didnt want it

Dave
</font>
It's probably my fault anyway.

I have previously given BA feedback that another upgrade award would be preferable to the companion silver card.

Of course, that's because my wife was pregnant at the time and had no use for a silver card because she definitely wasn't traveling. I did take advantage of the time window of availability to sign her up for one this year. (Of course, since we'll probably just be burning miles this year, I'm not sure what advantage it will offer.)

So what are the Qantas mileage redemption levels from NA?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:54 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skippythelizard:
It's probably my fault anyway.
So what are the Qantas mileage redemption levels from NA?
</font>
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...s/pointsTables
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:59 am

It's sad, but I think upgrades could be the only good thing about this program, assuming that inventories are not an issue.

It's going to devalue the premium cabins. But that's somewhat of a response to market conditions.

If you have frequent flyers paying a reasonable fare and using miles to upgrade, then they are going to fly BA more ... and with WT+ in place, aside from the $20 fiasco, at least you're making more money off of the upgraders than the other airlines. (Seems like most of my friends on other airlines buy $250 transatlantic tickets and upgrade. At least with BA it makes a little more economic sense. As a shareholder, I've got to try to come up with some good logic.)

It seems to me that both the WT+ to CW and CW to First upgrades are better values than any "free" flights under the new program.

So as long as I still have a mileage balance, rather than fight, maybe I just have to join in the upgrade charge. I'm working for myself now, and paying for my own flights anyway these days ... so maybe rather than fight, I have to lead the charge to devalue the premium cabins.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The funny thing is....

I am a premium traveller and give airlines a lot of business in pretty hugh fare classes. I've just counted back and since Jan 1, 2000 I have flown BA about 134 times. Of those flights less than 12 were not in a Club or First cabin. None of the above flights were redemptions. BA is NOT my primary carrier and in that same period of time I have taken many more flights on other airlines.

I see NO advantages for me WHATSOEVER in the new programme.

The reason I mention this is that recently DL changed their programme. Many people are angry at the changes, and are threatening to leave. At least with the changes they made to their programme, they at least held out some carrots to keep me happy (In my case the biggest one being able to get top tier with 33-50% less flying based on my higher fare classes among other things). BA has held out no carrots for me whatsoever.

I never thought to leave DL just because of their changes, but WILL leave BA if these changes stick.

1. It will now take more tier points to requalify.

2. My primary route which is already the longest "shorthaul" route in the system will now earn 40 tiers instead of 60. In addition on the occasioanl flight where I may choose to go Econ, I will earn none.

3. I had gold tier certs already, I found the old ones more beneficial.

4. I will earn less miles on my flights irrespective of class on my major routes.

5. Awards will be more expensive.

These changes were poorly thought out and are only "global" in as far as they have made every part of the programme as bad as the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.