Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Post-BOB ET experience - I've finally put my finger on what feels wrong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-BOB ET experience - I've finally put my finger on what feels wrong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I do detect a certain rose tinted aspect to this. I can't say on a full LGW-JER flight before BoB the crew would have any time to stop and talk. The same was true on many other DOM and Band 1/2 routes.

The reality as always is money. BA are not imposing this in their customers - they are giving their customers what they are prepared to pay for.

CE is now an excellent product (unless you are very tall or obsessed with size for some reason). ET is a modern Y product - I.e. designed with Generation EasyJet in mind.

I am personally much more inclined to fly CE and I suspect full and large CE cabins reflect the fact that plenty of others also appreciate its value.

I am sorry but I think the idea that before BoB the crew spent hours attending to Y pax every need is just nostalgia for something that really didn't exist.
no no no, most european legacies still give free things in Y. You should replace 'modern' with 'low cost' Y.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
I do agree with the OP. I noticed the lack of interaction pretty much right away. As a GCH when I'm at the back I am more often than not in the exit row, which does give an opportunity to interact, but even there you just get a generic and very rushed speech to read the instructions. (Quite rightly - in terms of the instructions, though I do know them inside out). My point is that there must be more status passengers in the exit rows than before and it is therefore a good chance to interact, but it generally isn't taken up in a positive way by the crew.

I still won't be switching to easyJet unless I'm forced to. (And that is after my employer has basically banned flights to LHR and LCY due to cost, leaving LGW as the only BA choice - the big positive being the Gatwick lounges and the really nice staff and general cleanliness compared to Heathrow).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Sorry, its not.

Even comparing to several European business class competitors, seat comfort isn't great, legroom is poor even for those of moderate height, and catering is often lousy (if BA manage to cater a meal at all).

Compare more broadly (including to airlines that compete with BA head-to-head on longer CE routes like IST), and its frankly nowhere near excellent. At all.
I have to disagree, based on my experiences you would be hard pressed to find a better business product within Europe, short of heading towards Turkey. The realistic competitors here are AF, KLM, Lufthansa and SAS. With the exception of Rest of the Day Mediums the catering is excellent on the whole. And though I've seen the reports of missing food, I've not been on a BA CE flight recently where this has happened, except for at the gate upgrades.
makin'miles and HIDDY like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
So I think that's it - it's that something which is now essentially a self-service public transport (potentially)interaction-free proposition is still dressed up as something very different.
This. A fair observation regardless of one's views on BOB per se.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have to disagree, based on my experiences you would be hard pressed to find a better business product within Europe, short of heading towards Turkey. The realistic competitors here are AF, KLM, Lufthansa and SAS. With the exception of Rest of the Day Mediums the catering is excellent on the whole. And though I've seen the reports of missing food, I've not been on a BA CE flight recently where this has happened, except for at the gate upgrades.
I'd agree that BA Club is solid when stacked up against Europe's largest airlines. However, I'd also say that realistic competitors are more likely determined by the route/s that a traveller needs to fly regularly (I'm not really interested in KL unless I'm headed to AMS).

Looking a bit beyond the carriers with the most market share and keeping in mind their relatively limited number of nonstop routes from London, there are a number of airlines that offer a somewhat better product IMO. On catering, I've definitely preferred Austrian, Swiss and Aegean to BA, for example.

That said, for someone based in Greater London, BA is likely the very best choice if booking Club. The network cannot be be beat, the lounges are solid, and so there's a decent value proposition all the way around. I'm by no means calling it the worst of the bunch - its not - but IMHO that doesn't make an excellent product either.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
no no no, most european legacies still give free things in Y. You should replace 'modern' with 'low cost' Y.
Please name them and what they provide.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Since when is a chat considered a service? Do you always thank people for talking to you?

The service is safely transporting you from A to B. Whether or not you thank the CC is up to you and your manners.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
CE is now an excellent product
Laughable.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Please name them and what they provide.
AF/KL/AZ/A3/LH/LX/OS/TK/TP: Mineral Water, Hot Drinks, Soft drinks, Alcoholic drinks, snacks or meals.
AY/SK/FI: Mineral water, hot drinks and juices
KM: Mineral water, sandwich

​​​​​​​Budget Airlines (including BA, IB and VY): nada!!!
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Any notion that CE could be described as "an excellent product" certainly stretches incredulity - even for those of us who value freedom of opinion, as much as the freedom to spend one's money - or that of others - however one chooses. I'd say it needs more than a leap of imagination to use such hyperbole.

The simple reality is that there is very little to be found (if anything) in the way of true onboard quality where shorthaul intra-European commercial air travel is concerned, whether from BA or its competitors. The best that can be said for the current CE offering is that it reflects an average standard within a sea of ongoing mediocrity.

A quick glance at the catering inefficiencies as recounted (and merely the latest in a series of experiences) by CE travellers on a concurrent thread (when a CE food choice is not a choice) instantly dispels any semblance of excellence.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by subject2load
The simple reality is that there is very little to be found (if anything) in the way of true onboard quality where shorthaul intra-European commercial air travel is concerned, whether from BA or its competitors.
Apart from TK business class, of course.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
Apart from TK business class, of course.
Have yet to enjoy it myself - but yes, seemingly a shining exception, from all that I hear/read ^
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
While I think that is a coherent argument from the OP, it strikes me that the “opportunities for interaction” identified as absent really are probably not terribly important to a majority of the passengers on board at any one time, who will have different personality types, be from a range of backgrounds and cultures etc. In the grand scheme of things most people don’t fly often, and many of the most frequent flyers probably aren’t high yield (equally some of them definitely are). I’m sure BA/IAG know all this and are comfortable with the balance of how BOB impacts their typical mix of flyers.

I largely enjoy flying BA, but for me personally the last thing I want is a big load of chinwag and banter (massively summarising!) on a shorthaul flight. Longhaul is different though, and in premium cabins at least that possibility remains.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Can't say this bothers me in the slightest. Having flown for many years with AF I became accustomed to cabin crew not interacting with me.
That's because they won't serve the sweet bubbles you Argentina types crave.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by daftboy
While I think that is a coherent argument from the OP, it strikes me that the “opportunities for interaction” identified as absent really are probably not terribly important to a majority of the passengers on board at any one time, who will have different personality types, be from a range of backgrounds and cultures etc. In the grand scheme of things most people don’t fly often, and many of the most frequent flyers probably aren’t high yield (equally some of them definitely are). I’m sure BA/IAG know all this and are comfortable with the balance of how BOB impacts their typical mix of flyers.

I largely enjoy flying BA, but for me personally the last thing I want is a big load of chinwag and banter (massively summarising!) on a shorthaul flight. Longhaul is different though, and in premium cabins at least that possibility remains.
There is a bug chunk of high yield frequent business travelers that only fly Y due to strict corporate travel policies (I am one of them).
These will feel alienated by all cost cuts and service deterioration at BA. But that's for another topic.
The interaction with the crew especially if they start recognizing you was what made the travel enjoyable especially if you fly every week.
The BA experience at the back is the same as U2, FR, IB, EI or VY. What makes it worse is that the prices are still astronomical of you fly last minute. Like someone said in the beginning, the good thing about BoB is that it opened as to alternatives. And yes good interactions with crews are possible with other airlines. I certainly had good laughs with AF, KL and A3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.