Wiki Posts
Search

To upgrade or not to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Baec
To upgrade or not to upgrade

I'm WT on BA0009 LHR-BKK and have paid for emergency exit row, window, and upgraded meal. I'm being offered an upgrade to WT+ for £261 which I guess would technically cost me £180 after I get the £66 seat booking fee and £15 for the meal.
Worth it or not?
Am I right in thinking being bronze EC and flying this Thursday I should be able to choose my seat for free.
Will I get WT+ tier points and miles? Won't affect my luggage as I'm back CW.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd be asking myself how much the extra legroom is worth....if you are tall then it is worth it if not don't bother.

The rest is just a better meal really.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:58 am

It may be worth considering how busy the flight is closer to the time. If it is very full down the back then there may be a good chance of an upgrade to CW - a very good investment for £180 indeed!
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
It may be worth considering how busy the flight is closer to the time. If it is very full down the back then there may be a good chance of an upgrade to CW - a very good investment for £180 indeed!
Prices are still quite low for economy seats on the flight £330 but CW seem fairly high £2341, one way when booking in the app for a return if that makes sense. So I'm not very hopeful for an upgrade.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
I'd be asking myself how much the extra legroom is worth....if you are tall then it is worth it if not don't bother.

Extra Legroom?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:52 pm

Yes you'd get the TPs, so I would only do this if they are really worth it for you.

The WT+ on the Bangkok 3-class 777 is the oldest in the fleet and was awful a couple of years ago when I last flew it (seat falling apart, IFE didn't work both ways), so by now it must be really terrible.

I actually prefer the exit row in Y and being able to get out freely - if you've already upgraded the meal then that'll be equal the WT+ offering, so I'd be saving my money personally - 180 quid can go long way in Bangkok !
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by smokie36

It's also extra width which can be critical to comfort for eveb average sized folks.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
For what it's worth I turned down an Op-Up from WT exit row to WT+ on this very type a while ago and was perfectly happy with my choice (if somewhat laterally snug !). Assuming I had an exit row window or aisle WT seat I would need a lot of persuading to shell out my own cash to upgrade...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
It's also extra width which can be critical to comfort for eveb average sized folks.
In my opinion comfort should only be used in terms of CW and above on BA.

Fair point however.
Globalist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

16A is shown as blocked on expertflyer, would this be a better seat than window exit row 26A?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
17C and H are aisle seats but with no one in front of them, which would make them my pick.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:13 am

WT exit seat on a 3-3-3 777 is fine. Save yourself the 180 for BKK.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by capin
WT exit seat on a 3-3-3 777 is fine. Save yourself the 180 for BKK.
I tend to agree - though £180 goes a long way in Bangkok unless you're deliberately not careful.

Two reasons to be ticketed in WTP over an exit row:

1. Chance of an op-up;
2. Tier points and avios.

Unless the OP is very wide, the actual flight experience will be disarmingly simliar.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
I'm WT on BA0009 LHR-BKK and have paid for emergency exit row, window, and upgraded meal. I'm being offered an upgrade to WT+ for £261 which I guess would technically cost me £180 after I get the £66 seat booking fee and £15 for the meal.
Are you expecting your seat booking fee back if you decided to upgrade? I'm not sure that is the case, but you should be able to use it to book a WT+ seat (paying the difference) if you don't want to wait till T-7.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Worth it or not?
Am I right in thinking being bronze EC and flying this Thursday I should be able to choose my seat for free.
Will I get WT+ tier points and miles? Won't affect my luggage as I'm back CW.
Given you have an exit row already, the only thing that would make me take the 'upgrade' is if I needed the Tier Points. (I turned down an Op-Up in the same situation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.