Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 Aug : Disruption - BA computer systems down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Aug : Disruption - BA computer systems down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
Ah yes, I can imaging the conversation

Cruz; We would like you to investigate this IT failure, despite the fact we know what it was completely unforeseeable.

Consultant; Yes of course

Cruz; You must be independent, independent of the management of BA, independent of me, Si? Me the man who places large lucrative consulting contracts with you. Entirely independent?

Consultant; Yes I fully understand.
That sounds pretty similar to one of the Daily Telegraph's Alex cartoon strips a few weeks ago
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Bit of a slow news day by the sounds of it. Still a major outage may save BA a huge amount, by getting rid of Cruzis.
The quarter just passed turned out to be hugely profitable, despite the May madness.

BA appear to be superstitious. They have hit upon a new routine which must be performed at least once a quarter, in order to guarantee a good financial result!

(It's the shareholders they care about, not the pax)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
This is a worth a read by BA.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/briti...-costs-jackson
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by chimambu
As this particular article (others in a similar vein) has already been extensively discussed here on the forum, I'd request we leave this thread to focus on this mornings IT outage and consequent operational disruption.

From the BBC :

Passengers at Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports had to be checked in manually and faced long queues and delays.
BA said the fault was resolved at about 09:00 BST and its computerised system was now operating normally.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Surely with all the focus on the previous outage and the "independent" report due to be coming out, this sort of thing shouldn't happen?
That's not going to happen
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Surely with all the focus on the previous outage and the "independent" report due to be coming out, this sort of thing shouldn't happen?

The regularity with which we've seen outages points to a fundamental flaw with the architecture.
Years of under investment and strategic mistakes on direction cant be fixed in a few months. If BA throw everything at it you probably wont see improvements until 2019 at the earliest
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
From the BBC :

Passengers at Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports had to be checked in manually and faced long queues and delays.
BA said the fault was resolved at about 09:00 BST and its computerised system was now operating normally.
Given that "normal" appears to mean "unreliable" then that's heartening news!

(I wonder how many bags will get lost today?)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I was expecting 100+ comments to just as Peck said! I guess the press have smelt blood and BA are now under the microscope.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure why BA and IAGs long term failure to invest in robust IT is being laid at the door of Alex Cruz.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
I'm not sure why BA and IAGs long term failure to invest in robust IT is being laid at the door of Alex Cruz.
He's the Chief Exec. BA's operations are his responsibility (or should be).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Meh
Just glad I have given up on BA. Reduced service and telling me the baggage system was down are my last two experiences. No longer.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
Are people experiencing much knock-on from this as the day goes on? I’m due on LCY to Linate this evening and whilst it is showing as on-time I never really trust BA’s systems. Given I was also [supposed to be] travelling on 27/05 my heart sank when I saw this morning’s news!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by snuffi
Are people experiencing much knock-on from this as the day goes on? I’m due on LCY to Linate this evening and whilst it is showing as on-time I never really trust BA’s systems. Given I was also [supposed to be] travelling on 27/05 my heart sank when I saw this morning’s news!
Still able to fly? Hope it is OK!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
I might be OK. Per FR24 the scheduled aircraft (LCYT) had over 4h sat at LIN today after having operated the 7303 which arrived at 1349 CET (supposed to be 1315). 7304 does not depart for LCY until 1755 CET. Seems odd to have that much downtime in the schedule but there you go.

Last edited by snuffi; Aug 2, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Oh yeah.. MF crew start their strike today too. It is going to be a fun two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.