Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No F seats available to choose from ( BA93 LHR-Toronto) 24th August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

Last night I booked a F return from EDI-YYZ for a long weekend in Toronto. ( CE for EDI-LHR)

On BA.com after paying I went to select my seats. I was surprised to see I had no seat allocated for LHR-YYZ ( on MMB as a 789) and all seats marked white as unavailable.

For my return flight I was able to choose the only seat available ( 1E)

First time I have seen no seats available to choose from in F.

Should I be worried that I do not have a seat allocated in F as departure approaches?- I will keep checking to see if a seat opens up

Many thanks

TBS
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Just checked the seat map and there are no blocked seats - they're all occupied, so I'd be a little worried - but at the same time there's a reasonable chance that someone will no-show.

It's now F0 A0 but there's plenty of J availability, so if you do get downgraded somehow, you'll be getting a decent chunk of compensation at 3/4 of the one-way...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Just checked the seat map and there are no blocked seats - they're all occupied, so I'd be a little worried - but at the same time there's a reasonable chance that someone will no-show.

It's now F0 A0 but there's plenty of J availability, so if you do get downgraded somehow, you'll be getting a decent chunk of compensation at 3/4 of the one-way...
Hi,

Thanks Cymro!^,

I was a bit surprised at the apparently full cabin given the cheap fare booked last night ( £2500 for F return from EDI) ( admittedly the C £3500 fare to HKG is better value but it involves 2 o/nights and 2 days in HKG ( all I could get off at the Bank holiday) where as I get 3 days in YYZ ( also I have not been to Toronto in over 10 years and I was in HKG in November)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've been to both in the last three months (though J only!) and I'm sure you'll enjoy either. 789 in J is not so bad even for £800 compensation... worst case scenario, the compensation and the avios will get you to HKG in a WTP sale and upgraded to J one way!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:22 pm

I wonder if there's a 2-4-1 in there that BA know about.If so that would imply that revenue management sell an extra seat in these cases.I suspect we will never know.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Why was I under the impression there is no overbooking in F?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Why was I under the impression there is no overbooking in F?
I believe BA is prepared to overbook the F cabin by 1 but that that policy changes closer to departure.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by rapidex
I wonder if there's a 2-4-1 in there that BA know about.If so that would imply that revenue management sell an extra seat in these cases.I suspect we will never know.
I thought we had had this discussion and some very knowledgable people confirmed being on a reward booking including 2-4-1s does not make it more likely that you will be downgraded.

Status (lack of) and being a single traveller when a single seat is needed is much more likely to be the deciding factor.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Why dont BA allow you to check seat before purchase like AA and AC ?
When buying a flight I want to inow whether a decent seat is available
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
They do. During the booking process (before you actually confirm/pay) you are offered the seat selection screen.

Failing that, services like ExpertFlyer provide seat maps also.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
They do - it is the stage before the payment screen. I always check the seats available and preassign them. If there are no seats shown as available for 1 passenger or if when trying to assign two seats, one passenger does not have a seat then I would switch to another day/flight. Sounds like the op did not check before paying which to my mind is a little foolhardy.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If paying/upgrading with Avios, the seat selection process is via MMB after completing the transaction.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

I must have missed the seat selection screen before paying as this was a cash fare

It was getting late and I wanted to book it before midnight but should still have checked.

This is the first time it has happened to me

Regards

Tbs
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
I thought we had had this discussion and some very knowledgable people confirmed being on a reward booking including 2-4-1s does not make it more likely that you will be downgraded.

Status (lack of) and being a single traveller when a single seat is needed is much more likely to be the deciding factor.
As far as I can see opinions do not = confirmation.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by FrancisA
My recollection is that there was no such confirmation, and there has been a not-insignificant number of anecdotal tales of those on a 2-4-1 being selected for downgraded, regardless of status, often referring to comments on the Head For Points site.

If someone has confirmed this does not happen, can you point us to it?

I'd not be surprised if BA's revenue management system took the existence of a 2-4-1 booked passenger into account when determining whether to sell a seat in an already full cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.