Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport validity only for length of stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Passport validity only for length of stay?

We'll be flying first-time on BA this weekend direct from the U.S. to LHR. I just noticed that my six-year-old's passport is expiring in four months, and checked that UK only requires the passport to be valid for our length of stay (which will be only ten days).

I just wanted to double check from the experienced folks here that BA itself doesn't have any tighter rules on passport validity in order to check-in and board, like a 6-month validity? Their website mentions only the restrictions of the destination country, so I think we're fine?

I'm just being extra careful, as a few years ago my wife couldn't check-in on Singapore Air for her first leg to Singapore, as she didn't have the six-months validity needed to reach her final destination of Indonesia. While we knew she couldn't get into Indonesia, her plan was to land in Singapore (which did not have the six month restrictions) and request emergency passport service at the embassy there, for the onward travel - but Singapore Air refused at SFO saying there was too much exposure for them.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
It shouldn't be an issue. BA doesn't generally require anything above the immigration requirement (And I know their happy to carry Brits to the US with less than 6 months).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Ba requires exactly what TIMATIC says. Check timatic website for exact requirements you will face from BA.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by reclusive46
(And I know their happy to carry Brits to the US with less than 6 months).
This is because the US authorities very clearly and openly allow entry to Brits up to and including the final date of validity of a passport. Assuming the Home Office rules are the reciprocal, they will allow it the other way round. The equivalent of the FCO website should provide guidance.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
This is because the US authorities very clearly and openly allow entry to Brits up to and including the final date of validity of a passport. Assuming the Home Office rules are the reciprocal, they will allow it the other way round. The equivalent of the FCO website should provide guidance.
That was my point. I know some airlines like American is funny about carrying those with less than 6 months, even when it is allowed under the rules.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:19 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Ba requires exactly what TIMATIC says.
[KVS Tool 8.5.6/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:
National USA (US)               /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination United Kingdom (GB) 

[Visa Information - Destination] United Kingdom (GB)

[Information For Normal Passports]
Passport required. 
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
  valid for the period of intended stay.
Passport Exemptions:
- Passengers with an emergency or a temporary passport. 

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA for a maximum stay
of 6 months.
Minors:
- When their names are registered in the passport of (one of)
  their parents or guardians, [[TIDFT/GB/PA/MI/ID17270]] 
Additional Information:
- Flights between the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands,
  Ireland (Rep.) and Isle of Man are treated as domestic
  flights, therefore are not subject to UK immigration
  control. 
- Valid visas in expired travel documents are accepted if
  accompanied by a new travel document.
- For visitors who are visa exempt up to a max. stay of 6
  months, the period of stay will be determined by the
  Immigration Officer on arrival.

[Health Information] United Kingdom (GB)

Vaccinations not required.

CHECK [[TINEWS/N1]] - RESTRICTION ON NATIONALS OF QATAR

24 Jul 2017 / 22:17 [UTC]
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by reclusive46
That was my point. I know some airlines like American is funny about carrying those with less than 6 months, even when it is allowed under the rules.
The difference is that if BA is 'funny' about it and refuses carriage when docs are valid it immediately becomes IDB with resulting EU compensation.

It happens, but rarely - for this reason. On most routes AA doesn't have the same kick-up-the-wotsit to get it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.