Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How is British Airways Handling UK Electronics Ban on Flights from Middle East?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is British Airways Handling UK Electronics Ban on Flights from Middle East?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
Officials from HMG were due in Istanbul last week to review BAs security (they have already cleared all the other airlines) still no announcement which suggests that BA have failed to have their security process cleared. I wonder where else their security is weak?
Is every cleared now? I posted a summary of all airlines a week or two ago and there were several including BA which still had restrictions.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by KARFA
Is every cleared now? I posted a summary of all airlines a week or two ago and there were several including BA which still had restrictions.
Sorry should have been more specific. All flights from IST to the UK apart form BA (so Turkish Airlines and Atlas Global) no longer have a ban on electronics.

Was told by BA personal on the 9th that there was going to be a review last week. I assume BA failed it. Was also told that other airlines had invested in new equipment but BA had not.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Still no movement on this with BA. OLCI from Amman this morning with the message laptops are not allowed in hand luggage. Royal Jordanian no longer has this requirement. Does anyone know what the issue is? In Istanbul both TK and BA have conduct an additional manual baggage search at the gate , yet TK no longer has the ban and BA does. Anyone know why?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have it from high authority that it will be back to normal by the 21st of September
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
At all affected airports?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
I have it from high authority that it will be back to normal by the 21st of September
Seems unlikely the government would give permission for BA to allow electronics but they have to wait a week until it's implemented.

Hope your right though.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:55 am

After a chat this morning with a chap from BA possibly more clarity

Apparently the likes of TK have agreed to screen 40% of passengers hand luggage with explosives detection equipment in return for having the ban lifted. He stated that he did not know how TK do that on a full 777.

BA on the other hand have said they can't process that many people (on semi empty A320s??????) and have from sometime soon will only screen 25% of passengers belongings.

As I recall on my last few TK flights they have a much larger team and several scanning devices. This morning BA had two checkers and one scanning device.

It did beg the question if HMG is lowing the threshold for TK and the other airlines? But then again this was a ban implemented by literally no other countries. And any aspiring martyr with a invisible laptop bomb need only drive to Sofia or Athens.

*in case of accusation of anti BA bias I would add this about TK. On my last TK flight we were due on a stand but for some reason after a wait of around 10 minutes had to drive off to a remote stand. While the aircraft was still taxing, people started standing up, getting bags down, aisle was completely full of peole and this was not just approaching the stand, this was two or three minutes out from the seat belt sign going off. The crew did nothing. Just sat strapped into their seats. BA flight I just got off, couple of people stood up and crew immediately told them to sit down.

TK utterly destroy BA in most respects, but still BA gets you there in one piece. Not always the case with TK.

Last edited by Worcester; Sep 20, 2017 at 5:02 am
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ok so the 21st September has come and gone - has there been any change or are iPads etc still banned?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ok so the 21st September has come and gone - has there been any change or are iPads etc still banned?
Hi,

I have not heard anything and the message on BA.com is still unchanged.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Looks like I "dodged a bullet" then, flying IST-LHR a couple of weeks ago, as I couldn't get a non-stop flight, so flew IST-WAW (TK) and WAW-LHR (LO). Very pleasant it was too!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have not heard anything and the message on BA.com is still unchanged.

Regards

TBS
TBS

I suspected as much. So much for "High Authority"! Clearly there are even higher!

Thanks for the clarification
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Latest from HMG here (updated 22 Sept)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security

Restrictions on carrying large phones, laptops and tablets in the cabin have been lifted on all UK bound flights from the following airports:

Antalya (Turkey)
Bodrum (Turkey)
Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen (Turkey)
Izmir (Turkey)
Tunis-Carthage International (Tunisia)
The following airports continue to be affected by restrictions, although some individual airlines may be exempt. Passengers travelling from these airports should contact their airlines for advice about whether their flights are affected:

Turkey:
Istanbul Atatürk
Dalaman
Egypt:
Cairo
Hurghada
Marsa Alam
Luxor
Saudi Arabia:
Jeddah
Riyadh
Jordan:
Amman
Lebanon:
Beirut
So looks like IST is still subject to the restrictions for BA (in the absence of any notification from them to the contrary)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:41 am

Deleted
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:20 am

FCO have updated their advice about electronics
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...tent=immediate

This new information is interesting

Restrictions are no longer in place for the vast majority of carriers operating from other airports in Turkey, but some airlines have decided to maintain the restrictions for operational reasons.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Worcester
FCO have updated their advice about electronics
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...tent=immediate

This new information is interesting
Ha, that is code for “cost reasons” ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.