Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-NYC-LHR in Y Class on BA 747 or AA 777

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld
LHR-NYC-LHR in Y Class on BA 747 or AA 777

Cheap weekend trip in the offing. We are all BAEC Silver, so choose seats at the time of booking and can soak up the benefits of the OW lounges to ease the pain of the actual flight in Y class. So all thing being equal (price, times, TPs earned. etc) which carrier/aircraft should I take. I have no experience of AA, if that helps your understanding.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
AA without a doubt. More substantial food, CX lounge outbound, free Main Cabin Extra, almost certain of updated IFE, newer seats. Assuming you're not a big drinker. One thing in BA's favour on the return though is EC261/duty of care.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by BA6501
AA without a doubt. More substantial food, CX lounge outbound, free Main Cabin Extra, almost certain of updated IFE, newer seats. Assuming you're not a big drinker. One thing in BA's favour on the return though is EC261/duty of care.
Thanks for your comments and that looks like a very good answer in my circumstances.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Thanks for your comments and that looks like a very good answer in my circumstances.
"free Main Cabin Extra"

^ one of the greatest things about AA, as it's roughly equal to BA's WT Plus cabin. In the future AA will have its own Premium Economy cabin, so make the most of MCE while you can!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Make sure MCE seats are available on AA before you book. I would hate to book AA and then get stuck in 10 across 777 economy if MCE is already full.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, I may give AA a try to JFK in Y now I've seen sum of the ex-JER fares. However, Ive just tried to do a dummy booking to check for seats as BAEC Silver and the system is saying I have to pay to select MCE, I'v put in my BAEC number, any idea why this is?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Are you booking on aa.com?

I guess you could confirm the booking and see whether the status is recognised after completing the booking, IB works this way. Pretty sure AA offers a cooling off period.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Are you booking on aa.com?

I guess you could confirm the booking and see whether the status is recognised after completing the booking, IB works this way. Pretty sure AA offers a cooling off period.
Yes on aa.com redirected from Google Flights to aa.com as the ba.com redirect isn't available unless I phone up to book the sectors!

MCE seats are £108!!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I didn't have any trouble booking MCE seats 4 weeks ago (LHR-JFK-LHR) booked on AA.com.
I recall a price but when I clicked through the price came out as 0.
If that doesn't work call or twitter them.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
+1

BA also has the better lounge offering on the return. (At least it did when I used AA in February.) That AA J lounge just above security in T8... [shudder]. Imagine the dreariest business park Harvester you can, at about 9.45pm on a wet Tuesday night in mid November... Got it? Now imagine something with less atmosphere and even worse food and drink. *That* bad. Bonding experience-bad
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
+1

BA also has the better lounge offering on the return. (At least it did when I used AA in February.) That AA J lounge just above security in T8... [shudder]. Imagine the dreariest business park Harvester you can, at about 9.45pm on a wet Tuesday night in mid November... Got it? Now imagine something with less atmosphere and even worse food and drink. *That* bad. Bonding experience-bad
They're silver members, so can access any relevant OW lounge... If there's one near enough.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I believe now the main T8 lounge has been rebranded Flagship, we lowly silvers will get access there. I'll find out in July. I hope that the comments above relate to an Admirals Club or perhaps during renovation?

+1 to MCE on AA. You definitely get free selection as silver. If it struggles on booking you can always call. AA answer very quickly unlike BA without status! The only thing to avoid is the older aircraft (eg 757) but I don't think AA fly them to LHR.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
+1

In February you would've been in the Admiral's Club. AA has recently reopened the renovated Flagship Lounge AND expanded access to those in business class and OWS (previously Flagship Lounge access was only first class and OWE, while business class and OWS only had Admiral's Club access), and it will be a better experience than the Admiral's Club would be.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by wrp96
In February you would've been in the Admiral's Club. AA has recently reopened the renovated Flagship Lounge AND expanded access to those in business class and OWS (previously Flagship Lounge access was only first class and OWE, while business class and OWS only had Admiral's Club access), and it will be a better experience than the Admiral's Club would be.
Very relieved to hear that. Thanks. In that case OP, duty of care aside, I too can recommend AA in Y.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
"free Main Cabin Extra"

^ one of the greatest things about AA, as it's roughly equal to BA's WT Plus cabin. In the future AA will have its own Premium Economy cabin, so make the most of MCE while you can!
Is it not the case that some MCE seats on the 777 are still 10 across? Regardless most being 9 across, that is definitely not the 8 across of WT+. You and I consider 'roughly equal' very differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.