Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CCR Room 'Millionaires Door' re-opens...staff say here to stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CCR Room 'Millionaires Door' re-opens...staff say here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, well I suspect we should apologise since this frankly minor issue would be somewhat obscure outside a fairly narrow range of BA travellers (which admittedly includes myself).
This doorway connects the Concorde Room - the top BA lounge at LHR for First travellers and the top tier status passengers - to an area next to South Security. It was closed a few weeks back as part of the work that led to the opening of the First Wing, a specially branded and dedicated security route from landside to the First Lounge and CCR. However closing that door meant that for some CCR users they had to walk a little further than before in certain circumstances. Typically those connecting airside, domestic connections and some shorthaul service flights. We are talking under 5 minutes here.
The reason it is called the Millionaires' door has been confused over time, it's should be called the Millionaire door, since BA allegedly had to pay the airport owners a huge sum to account for the door to be put there, due to the loss of shopping income that the direct route caused. The door was closed as part of a quid pro quo for a similar agreement with the airport owner regarding the First Wing, the exact details of which will probably never reach public circulation.
As someone that's never been more than silver I've often read of the door on here, and knew broadly what is was. Reading your post did make me smile, in that it reduced something of such seeming importance to many, to "walk a little further". Excellent.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
... but it does not make recent negatives less negatives and I don't think it can (certainly not as yet) be read as a 'trend shifting' move.
Who has suggested it does?

Originally Posted by orbitmic
To me, there has been absolutely no improvement in CE medium haul quality, in fact, a straightforward quality decline when it comes to the panini ..
I could agree only as far as the old band 3 flights are concerned. The rest is a definite improvement in my book - I loathed those boring salads and afternoon tea. The panini has mixed reviews, some like it others not - I'm not a sandwich person but I'd take the panini over the boring salads we used to get.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the afternoon tea flights need revisiting - as in load more ploughmans - and the sandwich offering needs improving. For old Band 2 sectors it is portions size that needs improving; old Band 3 needs a complete rethink - they really should be seeing similar catering to the long bands.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jun 24, 2017 at 2:24 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I could agree only as far as the old band 3 flights are concerned.
Ex-band 3 are indeed the heart of my objection as this is, by far, may main CE market. On ex-band 2 and band 1, I'd say I am more or less indifferent though I would personally choose the boring salad over the panino! But yes, neither is something I'd look forward to.

On ex-band 2, the lunch/dinner we used to have was both more and better than the current choices. In fact, several of the current 'long' mains used to be served already anyway though the presentation has now improved.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
glad to hear the route to boots is reopen - it wasn't at 6am when I was there yesterday.

the other big upside of course (if one was DYKWIA - which of course one isn't) is that currently walking out of the CCR, anyone else coming out of GF might assume one had only frequented GC if they don't recognise one's F shoes.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
I have a v v basic question.

When transferring to an F flight from a domestic connection, where exactly do you access the millionaires door and what does it look like? Does it take you straight to the CCR?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
I have a v v basic question.

When transferring to an F flight from a domestic connection, where exactly do you access the millionaires door and what does it look like? Does it take you straight to the CCR?
The route is:
- Off the airbridge or bus into Domestic Arrivals landside. If on the bus you need to go up one level following the signs to Flight Connections T5.
- At Flight Connections T5 show your onward boarding pass at the desk, they'll scan it and you'll find yourself going up a short escalator.
- Round the corner and through some doors and you'll find yourself in the main departure area for T5. Lots of people!
- Look over in a 2 o'clock direction for WH Smith, and you'll see two escalators, go on the upwards escalator (mostly people are coming down it) to the floor above.
- Past a big security search area - North Security.
- Look up for a big Harrods sign, go past some shops
- Past another big security search area - South Security
- Right on the white wall, at the far end of your passageway, is the door to CCR.
Note you do not clear security or passports, just a boarding pass scan.

Lots more information in the KARFA connection guide in the Dashboard, and also here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ction-lhr.html
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
...I loathed those boring salads....
Sorry I couldn't disagree more! I loved the salads. There was a touch of Ottolenghi about them, they had diverse influences and were a lot more healthy than the current offering. With the bread, they made for a fine and balanced meal. Now we get a meal with NO vegetables and potentially a Subway-style cheap panino, or a chicken McNugget sliced in two. Maybe it's just me but my CE flights are much worse because of it and the plastic-wrapped bread and that's not to mention the band 3 flights which have lost the plated hot meal.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Jun 25, 2017 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
a few regular employees at the CCR have mentioned that people do indeed stay at the Flounge, instead of making the 'journey' to the CCR.
On my last trip through the First Wing last week I was told at the first BP check that I should proceed onto the CCR. I presume this is now being done because people have not realised this and have remained in the F lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by mikebg
On my last trip through the First Wing last week I was told at the first BP check that I should proceed onto the CCR. I presume this is now being done because people have not realised this and have remained in the F lounge.
Before the First Wing opened when entering GF travelling F I was always told politely I should use the CCR. The first few times they seemed puzzled that I said I preferred GF but over the years there seems to not even be any reaction as I'm sure they have heard it many times
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
<pedant mode on>

I believe it's called 'The Million Dollar Door', rather than 'The Millionaires' Door', because, as CWS correctly states, BA paid a significant amount to Heathrow towards the end of T5 development to allow them to put it in. It was somewhat of an afterthought during the building phase, not part of the original plans, when it was decided that something should be done to smooth the journey to the lounge for First Class passengers.

<pedant mode off>
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
<pedant mode on>

I believe it's called 'The Million Dollar Door', rather than 'The Millionaires' Door', because, as CWS correctly states, BA paid a significant amount to Heathrow towards the end of T5 development to allow them to put it in. It was somewhat of an afterthought during the building phase, not part of the original plans, when it was decided that something should be done to smooth the journey to the lounge for First Class passengers.

<pedant mode off>
You are probably correct - although I think we all know what I'm talking about!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:46 am

I thought the door acquired that name because of a TV programme that labelled it so because you needed to be a millionaire to afford the F ticket and use it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
<pedant mode on>

<pedant mode off>
*Pound
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
They have been telling First passengers to use the CCR from when it first opened.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The route is:
- Off the airbridge or bus into Domestic Arrivals landside. If on the bus you need to go up one level following the signs to Flight Connections T5.
- At Flight Connections T5 show your onward boarding pass at the desk, they'll scan it and you'll find yourself going up a short escalator.
- Round the corner and through some doors and you'll find yourself in the main departure area for T5. Lots of people!
- Look over in a 2 o'clock direction for WH Smith, and you'll see two escalators, go on the upwards escalator (mostly people are coming down it) to the floor above.
- Past a big security search area - North Security.
- Look up for a big Harrods sign, go past some shops
- Past another big security search area - South Security
- Right on the white wall, at the far end of your passageway, is the door to CCR.
Note you do not clear security or passports, just a boarding pass scan.

Lots more information in the KARFA connection guide in the Dashboard, and also here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ction-lhr.html
Thanks very much CWS, and I checked out the other thread...all extremely useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.