Wiki Posts
Search

BA 747-400 but no 747-8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
The 744 are expected to remain in operation uptil 2025

Based on my findings I personally think any aircraft over 10 years old should have a full D-check on annual basis. BA's average age of the whole fleet is around 15 years which doesn't make me feel comfortable considering most airlines have an average age of less than 10 years old and the likes of Emirates having the youngest of just 6 years old. I can't think anyone on this forum would ever drive a car older than 3 years on a daily basis or for long distance drive.
My daily car, is less than 6 months old. DOnt worry i am getting a new one next month.

However for normal people a three year old car is quite young now.

Planes as long as they are serviced I dont really mind. Sometimes its better to fly an older plane as the issues are removed.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by origin
However for normal people a three year old car is quite young now.
The notion of getting rid of a 3 year old car is, at best, idiotic. Unless you eat up the miles like a manic, the car will still be "new" after 36 months, while you eat up most of the devaluation.

I see plenty of >25 year old daily drive cars. A few are in good shape, but most are probably a fender bender away from the scrap metal merchant. Considering that an aircraft is going through very extensive inspection in regular periods, I have complete faith in these older aircrafts.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
So Airbus announce an enhanced A380 with more seats and better efficiency: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40321744

Come on BA. Some of these to replace the old B744s?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just in time to take over LAS

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...flights-3.html
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
The winglets will be available as a retrofit apparently. Not sure about the extra seats.

And +1 for more A380 in Ba's fleet. Far prefer this 'ugly' beast to a 747.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
So Airbus announce an enhanced A380 with more seats and better efficiency: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40321744

Come on BA. Some of these to replace the old B744s?
"80 more seats" = adding one seat per row, ie 11-abreast on the main deck, or 9-abreast in premium economy.

Be careful what you wish for.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Be careful what you wish for. The 'more seats' proposal by Airbus involves 3-5-3 in Y on the main deck and nine-abreast in Y+!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's fine - no one on FT flies Y or Y+
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
True, I forgot.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by origin
My daily car, is less than 6 months old. DOnt worry i am getting a new one next month.
Good :-:- I am guessing you work for an automotive manufacturer?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
Good :-:- I am guessing you work for an automotive manufacturer?
I own a rental company.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Since nobody posted anything for a week, I guess this thread is rather closed now.
Thanks to everyone. This turned out to be a much bigger discussion than I had anticipated.
The only thing I was missing is the "official" welcome message to the BAEC forum by corporate-wage-slave.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by KARFA
As with all accidents, it was not a single lapse that happened - it was quite a few which all then aligned to cause the accident.
Jees - hadn't even heard this one. Of course you're right, it was clearly what is known as an 'incident pit', as the major safety incidents almost always are (the Air France Atlantic crash a couple of years ago has some very detailed reporting on this). Still, it does indeed show that anyone can have an off day.

I am never letting my wife see this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
My car is 7 years old and runs as well as the day I bought it, and has never needed any major repair costs other than a tire after hitting a nail. I'd drive it the 180 miles each way to Dallas and back tomorrow. I'm totally comfortable getting on a well maintained 20 year old plane as well. Heck, AA's old MD-80s are arguably more comfortable in economy than their newer 737-800s.
Completely agree. The MD-80s might be old, but they are quiet and super comfortable, especially for a 20+ year old plane.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Completely agree. The MD-80s might be old, but they are quiet and super comfortable, especially for a 20+ year old plane.
Quiet on the inside, at the front.

Noisy on the inside, at the back.

Very noisy on the outside.

To reuse an old joke, an MD-80 is a device for turning jet fuel into noise.

A bit like a 747: not so much the Queen of the Skies, but the Queen Mother of the Skies. Graceful but unfortunately has quite a drinking habit.

747s are also quite noisy compared to newer aircraft, especially the A380, A350 and 787. That matters at places like Heathrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.