Wiki Posts
Search

my issue with the YYZ BA lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
my issue with the YYZ BA lounge

Having access via status to this lounge is not a big benefit IMO. While j/f passengers get a proper meal, pax on WT or WT+ get some very basic snacks.

The F lounge is just a smaller version of the biz lounge. To use the restrooms you still need to walk past the reception desk and over to the business lounge area.

Anyone else share the same view? Or am I making a big deal out of it?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:39 pm

Seeing as it only now has 2 flights a day, what did you expect? The T5 flounge? It's pretty wildly known that pre flight dinning is only available to J/F pax. This is also the case in JFK/BOS/EWR etc. The fact is, as the station manager has already stated, the only reason it's still open is the CX flights supporting it. (Not sure if EI use it yet but in 2016, only CX Pax really used it)
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
As I've only flown BA CW or F TATL from YYZ I find for my home lounge it is very nice for an outstation. However for someone travelling WT or WT+ I can see your point on the food side. However you get everything else. Still a lot more pleasant than the gate area. Plus the food available to WT or WT+ is still better than AC's flagship YYZ Intl MLL in T1.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Calum
The fact is, as the station manager has already stated, the only reason it's still open is the CX flights supporting it. (Not sure if EI use it yet but in 2016, only CX Pax really used it)
Interested to know when/how you know this.

I use the lounge on my annual visit and like it, but it does get crowded. As I am travelling in F, I can dine, but sadly the tablecloth and flowers on the table have gone in the last 12 months or so. A reduction in the ambience but in line with cutbacks elsewhere.

Appreciate that the food offering for those status passengers travelling in in Y or WTP is limited but at least the space is comfortable and the drinks are nice.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:10 pm

And it's worth making the point that 2 years ago - the snacks were much worse than they are today.

I really rather like the YYZ lounge, it is my kind of 3rd home (after my actual home and Heathrow) and I like the staff there.

Yeah - the toilets are on the other side from the F lounge. yeah - if you're gold and you're travelling CW you have to walk around to feed yourself. But it's not like we're talking walking out of the balcony from the LHR F lounge, up the stairs and into GC is it. Nor do you have to leave the lounge to do any of this. And I don't think JFK's any better on that respect.

My complaint about the lounge?

The damn slow lifts to get it and to leave it.

I'd certainly compare it favourably to the BA lounge at DFW as a comparison.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Interested to know when/how you know this.
Admittedly, that was from a conversation back in mid 2016 when the 96/97 was dropped which maybe had worried them a little but YYZ is an expensive airport to operate at and that includes the lease for the lounge, I really would not be surprised if we ended up with just one lounge and a smaller area for F or If it became a contract lounge.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Admittedly, that was from a conversation back in mid 2016 when the 96/97 was dropped which maybe had worried them a little but YYZ is an expensive airport to operate at and that includes the lease for the lounge, I really would not be surprised if we ended up with just one lounge and a smaller area for F or If it became a contract lounge.
Which would just be one more reason for this YYZ Gold to leave for Star or SkyTeam. At some point BA has got to stop cutting.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980

My complaint about the lounge?

The damn slow lifts to get it and to leave it.

The cookies in the J lounge are awful - I wonder if that is on purpose so no one eats them?

Aside from those, considering it's only has two flights a day, it's a pretty decent lounge. I don't expect much but there is always a seat (although crowded) and the staff are friendly but the light snacks could be improved.

Also what's the deal with the yugeeeeee sinks in the restrooms?

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Which would just be one more reason for this YYZ Gold to leave for Star or SkyTeam. At some point BA has got to stop cutting.
Switching my BA flights to YYZ to AC has really entered my mind since the announcement that it will switch to MF but seeing as BA keeps the upgrades to J consistent, I'll stick around. I wonder how I'll feel after a few trips with MF...

Last edited by Calum; Mar 15, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Seeing as it only now has 2 flights a day, what did you expect? The T5 flounge? It's pretty wildly known that pre flight dinning is only available to J/F pax. This is also the case in JFK/BOS/EWR etc. The fact is, as the station manager has already stated, the only reason it's still open is the CX flights supporting it. (Not sure if EI use it yet but in 2016, only CX Pax really used it)
During the summer rotation, there is 3 flights a day... As an out station lounge, it is one of my favorites. Food is usually good )albeit poor wine/champagne selections. On the First Dining menu is says "Concorde Dining" though, which doesn't make sense (not a Concorde room). I actually prefer the GC lounge side over GF side, especially since Internet coverage in the latter is poor).

Also, no shower, but if you have a Priority Pass, you can pop into next door lounge for a quick refresher...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
During the summer rotation, there is 3 flights a day...
As i've said before, the third flight was dropped in 2016. It hasn't been here for S16 or S17.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Each to their own but personally I like it. Friendly staff, good views of the airfield and a quiet space to relax. I struggle to think of a nicer North America BA lounge(excluding NY).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by danboy767
Each to their own but personally I like it. Friendly staff, good views of the airfield and a quiet space to relax. I struggle to think of a nicer North America BA lounge(excluding NY).
IAD - but I'm a big fan of the YYZ lounge as well, looking forward to returning later this year
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by danboy767
+1 Im a semi regular there too
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Numb3rs
Having access via status to this lounge is not a big benefit IMO. While j/f passengers get a proper meal, pax on WT or WT+ get some very basic snacks.

The F lounge is just a smaller version of the biz lounge. To use the restrooms you still need to walk past the reception desk and over to the business lounge area.

Anyone else share the same view? Or am I making a big deal out of it?
You could say the same about the current BOS lounge. The new one should be a lot better.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA
Apart from a dodgy chicken main course in the F pre-dining I really, really like the YYZ lounge. I've flown F and J from there on occasions and think it's one of the better NA lounges. Maybe behind JFK and IAD, but ahead of PHL, ATL, SFO, and MCO (by far!), of the other lounges I've been to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.