Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA to JFK - Opinion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Poster

BA or AA to JFK - Opinion

Im flying to JFK later in the year and looking for opinion / advice.

Im flying out in J and back in Y (some may think I should do it the other way but there ya go...). On the outbound I could take BA 744 which I've flown in Club a number of times and love the upper deck experience but I'm thinking of trying AA who fly 772 on the dates I'm looking at. Is their new J good?

On the way home I'm thinking of AA again as it's a 773 and as BA Silver I'd get free main cabin extra but could also fly back BA on 744

Your thoughts....
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
If you're travelling alone then AA wins for me in business.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
AA very good in J - decent food and second meal better than BA. Seat comfortable, spacious and private
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:33 am

Agreed. I would also go with AA coming back if you can get a non-middle MCE seat - check before you book.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
I prefer AA on the LHR-JFK outbound. Good seat, all with aisle access. If you plan to stay awake most of the flight, there is Wifi across the Atlantic. Live TV (CNN, CNBC, BBC World, Sport Channel), and a great ice cream sundae...

I'd go with BA on the inbound, though. JFK T8 Admirals lounge is being renovated, and is awful. BA T7 slightly better, and you arrive in T5, avoiding the often terrible queues in T3.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: *A Gold; OW Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt GoldPassport Platinum; Accor Silver
AA. Hands-down. Their entertainment and food/drink is far superior. Plus, AA gives you the impression that they actually value your custom unlike BA.
Kaveh96 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by seanyjmuc
AA. Hands-down. Their entertainment and food/drink is far superior. Plus, AA gives you the impression that they actually value your custom unlike BA.
The other bonus if you take the AA flight back in Y is that you have access to the MCE seats if you are gold I found the Y service better too.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I'd take AA in economy due to free access to MCE seats, however, AA charges for alcoholic drinks (only wine is free with dinner). In J - both airlines are pretty much the same in terms of the service flow, food/drink, and you get a blat bed on both as well. If you're a solo traveller I'd go with AA in J as every seat has aisle access.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
I hope someone from BA is reading this, in that so far everyone who has replied - including me - would say take AA over BA!

And that is exactly what I'm doing to JFK when I fly in May, also because on the way back in Y I can get the Main Cabin Extra seats without paying extra for them.

If you can I'd take the 773 on the way there, rather than a 772, as the J cabin on the former is superior, but you'll still get a flat bed on both.

Enjoy
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
BA. Hands-down. Their entertainment and food/drink is far superior. Plus, BA gives you the impression that they actually value your custom unlike AA.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Whenderson
I hope someone from BA is reading this, in that so far everyone who has replied - including me - would say take AA over BA!

And that is exactly what I'm doing to JFK when I fly in May, also because on the way back in Y I can get the Main Cabin Extra seats without paying extra for them.

If you can I'd take the 773 on the way there, rather than a 772, as the J cabin on the former is superior, but you'll still get a flat bed on both.

Enjoy
Well, BA does not have MCE, and the majority of passengers won't have any status to get them for free. In terms of J, I actually prefer BA when flying as a couple, however, the two airlines are more or less the same now that AA has flat beds. I am happy for people whose perception of flying gets improved so much because of an ice-cream or a different seat configuration...as far as I am concerned, if I can get a flat bed and something to eat/drink (neither airline offers anything spectacular in J), I am a happy customer. The other annoying thing about AA is how many different types of J seats they have. Everybody raves about B773, but it is scheduled on one departure only on the JFK route; at least BA is consistent with the seat.
Most importantly, BA & AA share revenue on many routes, so it does not matter if someone prefers AA over BA or vice versa.:-)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I think free MCE makes AA the right choice for your Y return.

However, if lounges are important, I'd say AA on the outbound to get you into CX Business in LHR T3 and BA on the return as, by any measure, the BA J lounge in T7 is superior to the AA J lounge in T8.

BA on the return also gives you the EU duty of care in the event of a weather delay etc.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner
BA. Hands-down. Their entertainment and food/drink is far superior. Plus, BA gives you the impression that they actually value your custom unlike AA.
Wow I found the 77W entertainment and box sets excellent, as well as a decent second hot meal on JFK. Also the BOSE headsets were great
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Wow I found the 77W entertainment and box sets excellent, as well as a decent second hot meal on JFK. Also the BOSE headsets were great
Whether or not one likes AA's second meal will depend on what one likes. I very much prefer BA's afternoon tea (or a mezze plate that I got on my last flight) because 1) I just don't get hungry so quickly, 2) after eating over-processed, reheated food with the first service, the last thing I want is 1,000 calories with a greasy pizza/flat bread or croque monsieur that AA loves to serve.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The BA flights all have the upgraded IFE which have the same volume of box sets etc as the AA system - just a bit more international content on BA which appeals to me.

I do like AA food, but generally prefer BA's style. I quite like the salad 2nd meal choice, its enough for me as Im usually also eating in town later on arrival. I don't generally eat on the way back, so i cant comment. AA food ex Miami is certainly nicer than BA equivalent, but I think thats more due to the caterer BA chooses on that route - thats my main comparison head to head ex USA where I fly either depending on price and schedule.

The BOSE headsets are a PITA - they are great, but the AA crew treat them like treasure, and they always want them back way too early. They are certainly better than the BA ones, but they are adequate and certainly do the job.

I do however forget about MCE on AA - its a good perk, and despite my preference, if I was flying Y I'd take Aadvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.