Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Invalid travel document - [Online checkin for] BIO-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Hi, so I'm due to fly home from Bilbao this evening, but having tried to check in online via the app this morning, I'm getting a message that my travel document isn't valid.

It was valid on my way out here on Friday, and isn't due for expiry until 2021. Any previous posts about this appear to be affecting departures to the US, when I'm merely getting back home. Not sure what to do, just turn up at the airport??

Have tweeted BA, but has anyone else seen this issue?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kath2049
Hi, so I'm due to fly home from Bilbao this evening, but having tried to check in online via the app this morning, I'm getting a message that my travel document isn't valid.

It was valid on my way out here on Friday, and isn't due for expiry until 2021. Any previous posts about this appear to be affecting departures to the US, when I'm merely getting back home. Not sure what to do, just turn up at the airport??

What is your travel document? A British passport?

Sounds like a software bug.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Probably a glitch and nothing to worry about. I am sure you will be able to sort it when at the airport- even if that is a bit of a pain.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Yep, British passport. 3 other friends travelling with me on same flight (but not same booking) all got theirs fine. Very odd!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's not an obvious question, have you looked at Update My Personal Information in BAEC? The standard (so non USA) Advance Passenger Information is held there, and that is validated on flights to the UK from outside the Common Travel Area. That's visible on the full BA website.

If that is OK, I agree it is probably some other glitch which is reporting in this way, and the error itself may be a red herring. If you have a valid ticket number in Manage My Flights and a valid passport then I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't get to the airport too late (90 minutes is fine at BIO, it's a small and efficient).
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold

Same thing happened to us last week returning from TXL. It bothered me but couldn't see any problems with passport. Got to the airport early as 1 week earlier they changed our seats for no valid reason. I thought it was going to be the same issue but all was fine and checked in with no problem.
Assume it was a computer glitch
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Light Travellers
Same thing happened to us last week returning from TXL. It bothered me but couldn't see any problems with passport. Got to the airport early as 1 week earlier they changed our seats for no valid reason. I thought it was going to be the same issue but all was fine and checked in with no problem.
Assume it was a computer glitch
Cool, thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's not an obvious question, have you looked at Update My Personal Information in BAEC? The standard (so non USA) Advance Passenger Information is held there, and that is validated on flights to the UK from outside the Common Travel Area. That's visible on the full BA website.

If that is OK, I agree it is probably some other glitch which is reporting in this way, and the error itself may be a red herring. If you have a valid ticket number in Manage My Flights and a valid passport then I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't get to the airport too late (90 minutes is fine at BIO, it's a small and efficient).
Yeah, I did have a double check of it first. I'll head to the airport a bit earlier than planned & no doubt all will be well! If all else fails, an extended Spanish vacation 😉
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:48 am

Same thing happened to someone in my group travelling back from LCA on Saturday. On the way out they were able to check in using the app and get mobile boarding pass. On return they had the same error message on app you have, travel documents not valid, and nothing had been changed. At bag drop at airport they were issued with a BP with no hassle and we never mentioned an issue to check in agent and they didn't suggest there had been! I doubt you will have a problem!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If all else fails, an extended Spanish vacation 😉
There are certainly worse places to be stranded, though it always seems to be raining when I visit. But yes, a very good city for a short break.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Just confirmed by Twitter team that it's a 'known issue' - am now sat in the lounge with a cava :-)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Had the exact same issue last Wednesday returning from FUE so it has clearly been "known" for a while.

OCLI via a desktop PC was no problem so it must be specific to the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.