Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to maximise WT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Marginally better, the seating is still narrower than EuroTraveller. Size 9s are lucky, for the rest of us, well to repeat something I've said before, I wouldn't transport my sheep in WT on a 787. Get WTP - which is super for a flight of this length on that aircraft.

Really? For me the worst part of BA WT is the 31 inch pitch, vs 33-34 in some L/H airlines such as NZ and EK. But i guess that's because I am quite skinny and tall!

But yes, the best way to maximize WT in BA is to take the 'private' 2 seats, so at the back of the 777 or UD on the A380! This is as good as it gets, especially if you are travelling with a partner!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Enjoy the lounge before hand, perhaps have a nice meal there rather than rely on the onboard food.

Consider the use of a headphone splitter, you can then watch a film on the IFE together

Have a look at the high-life onboard shop and consider booking a surprise for her in advnace with the pre-ordering discount.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Similar dilemma - travelling with my partner. LHR-SIN

The 3 seats with legroom, or two 2 seats no legroom? The avgeek in me needs to ensure we're by a window too.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Similar dilemma - travelling with my partner. LHR-SIN

The 3 seats with legroom, or two 2 seats no legroom? The avgeek in me needs to ensure we're by a window too.
what about booking a window and an aisle in a block of 3 and pray for seat blocking (if you have status) or a slightly empty flight where people do not select a middle seat?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by T8191
I can still remember our early days of l/h, flying in Y. For me, being next to Her, and with nobody else adjacent, mattered more than anything.

Yes, it was bloody uncomfortable, but we could share that together ... and know that the destination was FAR more important than the journey.

So ... 2 seats good, 3 seats bad
Yes it was more important to be with friends family for sure. While I have no experience in long haul Y since 1998 I do know that the many ones I took in the '70's and '80's before the introduction of the 744 were quite bearable because of better cushioning and legroom. In my case a bad lower leg injury 30 years ago just made long periods in Y a dangerous health hazard due to extreme swelling which I have no trouble with obviously in even a slopey style J seat. I couldn't imagine doing longhaul in the Y cabins of today.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Since you are on 2 night flights, I would buy decent ear plugs and eye masks. I don't think the BA ones are much good and sometimes have to be requested. Ideally sound cancelling headphones, especially for the 773. But if you don't own any the money would be better spent on upgrading the outbound to WTP on the 789 if the price is reasonable for you. Personally I try and get back in to the time zone I'm going in to; the return is ok since you can use the lounge for a shower and feed and then try and get straight to sleep. If you put your eye mask on usually the cabin crew won't wake you for food. Remember to take bottled water and a few snacks with you in case you wake up hungry. I would say it is unlikely the aircraft would be empty enough to risk hoping for a blocked seat next to you. If you are happy with twin seats then I would stick with that. But you could keep an eye on the seat map at check in and in the lounge and you can request a seat change at the lounge. I honstly don't know when BA makes the exit rows free to Silver in WT.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I would stick with the twin seats rather than upgrading.

I have only flown WT+ once (on a night flight JFK-LHR) and was really not impressed.

I found the difference in comfort to be negligible, and frankly would take an aisle seat in WT over a window or middle in WT+.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:31 am

Last year we cleared out our AA miles and flew Economy the whole way Malta - London - LA - Honolulu and same again on the return with no stopovers. I think the main thing is mind over matter, and accepting the fact that 95% of the population cope with flying long haul Economy and have nothing better to compare it against. My long haul Economy essentials:

- Forget extra legroom seats unless you're over 6ft. Next to the emergency exit gets freezing cold on a long flight! It's MUCH comfier having the twin seats down the back and not having to clamber over a stranger when you need the toilet.

- Bring a good eye mask, ear plugs and neck cushion. Spend £10 on a decent eye mask off Amazon or somewhere, then it won't itch like the freebies they hand out onboard. I find the soft/sponge neck cushions better than the blow-up plastic ones.

- Take plenty of water. Boots sell 1.5 Litre Evians in their airport stores. Much easier than constantly asking for the thimble sized version that they hand out onboard.

- Enjoy a few drinks in the lounge but try to stick to water onboard unless you want to arrive with a hangover. Same for food - Galleries food isn't amazing but it's much better than onboard. At least then if you're feeling sleepy you don't feel obliged to stay awake for the trolley to reach your aisle.

- Don't rely on the IFE, especially BA! Download a bunch of programmes on iplayer to your iPad then buy a headphone splitter for a few quid so you can watch at the same time. I also have the Readly app where you can get a 1 month free trial and download as many magazines as you like to keep you busy for hours.

Finally, enjoy it and remember that it's quite simply a small price to pay for reaching your final destination, which is the whole point of the trip in the first place.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Totally agree on the water and not relying on the IFE.

I would get a picnic and some snacks maybe even a 1/2 bottle of wine Having some decent food to break up the flight helps.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Unfortunately you're travelling on the 787 which is probably the worst WT experience you can expect on BA metal.

That said, you've booked the double seats, so that at least helps.

I personally wouldn't book a special meal for the following reasons:

1) There is genuinely nothing 'special' about it. As others have said, buy some nice food airside for half the cost

2) It reduces your chances of an OpUp, though its good you don't have this expectation as it doesn't happen very often

Either look for an upgrade online 24-48 hours out, or look for a paid upgrade at the airport to WT+. The latter I've found to provide on occasion great value if there is availability and its a significant jump on the 787 over WT.

The IFE on the 787 is a significant improvement on the tired 777 you'll be travelling back on however it still seems to be troubled by gremlins and almost every flight I'm on has to have a reboot. If you don't already have some get some decent headphones, the 'in-ear' ones provided by BA for folks up the back are not nice.

But above all, enjoy the trip with your other half, its the destination that matters.

Originally Posted by GLABA
Hi all,
I joined BAEC in Jan 2016 and have domestic'd 100 sectors with work since with a short haul return thrown in there. This has turned me silver.

But on Wednesday I and Miss GLABA are flying to India (Del) on a 789 evening flight, returning on a 773 red eye from BOM. This is my first BA long haul since I was a kid half a lifetime ago. Had I not been silver I'd go Emirates (had a couple of decent returns with them before and 'obviously' would've been cheaper). But an American Express offer evened up the price and my silver status means we go BA.

So I've booked WT and I think I have my silver perks sorted (we have twin seats on all four sectors). Expect to use T5b lounge for the connections (there are showers right?).

But how can I maximise the WT experience? Especially compared to Emirates. I don't expect t an upgrade, so how can I make economy better?

I have under 50k avios hence no upgrade...
​​​​​
PS MISSGLABA has endured a lot of me being away so trying to make this trip as good as possible
​​​​
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I'm not sure how it compared to BA's 789, but last year I flew Air Berlin Y (very cheap redemption!) DUS-CUN return and it was rather tight...

However, I think you have the advantage because you're travelling together - personally in this situation I'd always choose the twin seats.

I tend to take a box of chocolates, or some other 'luxury' treat onboard. I definitely wouldn't rely on the IFE (apart from the moving map, I rarely use it, whatever class of service). The water tip is a good one.

I'd consider the plane picnic option - I think it makes the journey more enjoyable and adds a nice touch, not least because food in Y tends to be pretty bad, and often in J too, actually (not directed solely at BA!). Plane picnic + glass of vinho = a more relaxed and 'special' dining experience.

Definitely maximise the lounge experience, it definitely makes things much better when you have a long journey ahead.

But as others have mentioned, although on this board you might forget it most people travel economy and manage just fine.

If travelling on leisure, and I don't find J for a good price, I just spend the journey remembering:

A) It's about the destination. Better sit in longhaul Y than not be able to travel at all

B) Money saved flying Y over J can be spent on other things - better hotel, nice meal at your destination etc. You're probably more likely to remember these things anyway than time spent in the air.

C) A flight is a flight. Ultimately, wherever you happen to be sitting, you're all on the same flight, all going to the same place, and all arriving at the same time.

D) It's fine to have a rest day on arrival, so just relax when you get to your destination and chill.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Last year we cleared out our AA miles and flew Economy the whole way Malta - London - LA - Honolulu and same again on the return with no stopovers. I think the main thing is mind over matter, and accepting the fact that 95% of the population cope with flying long haul Economy and have nothing better to compare it against. My long haul Economy essentials:

- Forget extra legroom seats unless you're over 6ft. Next to the emergency exit gets freezing cold on a long flight! It's MUCH comfier having the twin seats down the back and not having to clamber over a stranger when you need the toilet.

- Bring a good eye mask, ear plugs and neck cushion. Spend £10 on a decent eye mask off Amazon or somewhere, then it won't itch like the freebies they hand out onboard. I find the soft/sponge neck cushions better than the blow-up plastic ones.

- Take plenty of water. Boots sell 1.5 Litre Evians in their airport stores. Much easier than constantly asking for the thimble sized version that they hand out onboard.

- Enjoy a few drinks in the lounge but try to stick to water onboard unless you want to arrive with a hangover. Same for food - Galleries food isn't amazing but it's much better than onboard. At least then if you're feeling sleepy you don't feel obliged to stay awake for the trolley to reach your aisle.

- Don't rely on the IFE, especially BA! Download a bunch of programmes on iplayer to your iPad then buy a headphone splitter for a few quid so you can watch at the same time. I also have the Readly app where you can get a 1 month free trial and download as many magazines as you like to keep you busy for hours.

Finally, enjoy it and remember that it's quite simply a small price to pay for reaching your final destination, which is the whole point of the trip in the first place.
This is great advice.

IMO the worst thing about long haul is the boredom - I can cope with the noise and the uncomfortable seats but watching a long film and then realising you're not even half way to your destination is dispiriting.

I would say to try and avoid having a carry on under the seat in front of you. I am 6ft and can stretch my legs ok if there is nothing under the seat in front of me.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
This is great advice.

IMO the worst thing about long haul is the boredom - I can cope with the noise and the uncomfortable seats but watching a long film and then realising you're not even half way to your destination is dispiriting.

I would say to try and avoid having a carry on under the seat in front of you. I am 6ft and can stretch my legs ok if there is nothing under the seat in front of me.
Indeed, although night flights will hopefully mean that the OP will be able ot sleep through the boredom.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:30 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
For the bottle of water, get one of the ones with a sports cap on it. Boots at the airport usually do these in I think 1 litre sizes.

I usually also grab one of those nature bars out of Boots. Handy if your hungry between meals.

Noise cancelling ear phones. These make such a difference especially in Y where you are behind the engines and subject to a bit more noise.

Wear loose / comfortable clothing. A jumper or hoodie is usually handy to have, especially on an overnight flight if you feel cold.
Untie your shoes or even take them off when at your seat. Relieves a lot of pressure on your feet.

I have around a dozen movies on my ipad. This way I know if there's nothing on the IFE I like I can always watch a film. I also have some books on the iPad and tend to get a magazine like Top Gear or Men's Health on my iPad before a long haul flight.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
jackr27 and AllTheNines have posted great advice. I think the point about Y being a means to an end is most pertinent. Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.