Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

wouldn't it be nice [if reward availability were better]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

BA offers programs such as the Companion Voucher, but actually getting a flight and god forbid you have enough points to want to fly upper class, no way uh uhhhh not going to happen.

I have been trying for some time to book a First seat with my companion voucher and the standard answer is not available which means only available if you are paying.

So then riddle me this, why offer the programs?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by karcer
BA offers programs such as the Companion Voucher, but actually getting a flight and god forbid you have enough points to want to fly upper class, no way uh uhhhh not going to happen.

I have been trying for some time to book a First seat with my companion voucher and the standard answer is not available which means only available if you are paying.

Availability is of course route and season specific. If you're after CPT during school holidays, then of course you're going to struggle to find availability. If you want to go to JFK, or EWR off-peak, then that's rather easier if booked far enough in advance.

Perhaps your post would be a good chance for us to help you: where do you want to go, and when?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

In the last 10 or so years I have never had an issue using my Amex 241 vouchers in either First or Club. BA don't have an Upper Class by the way..

Destinations and travel dates have varied throughout those 10 years, but by their nature you have to be flexible in the use of any 241 and prepared to book either well in advance or when availability arises. If you have to travel on a specific date, to a specific destination, in a specific cabin then you are severly limiting your chance of success.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.

Im off in First next week using mine! to my destination of choice on the exact dates i wanted, and only booked 2-3 months before

So far from impossible!

What route and dates do you want?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
There are multiple threads asking the same question - but the easy reply is 'supply and demand'.
In the last year or two I have found availability on BA in both J and F very good as long as you can be a little flexible. If you, along with the rest of the World, are looking for 2 F seats over Easter or Christmas on a one a day service, of course you will be disappointed! BA are a business, and as much as this forum like to bash them, a pretty successful one from an earnings perspective when you compare them to some of the basket case airlines still out there!

If however, you are willing to be flexible on dates and on routes with multiple flights (JFK for example), F seats are generally available and can be open in significant quantity if you look a little harder.

Expertflyer is worth a subscription if you want to see what is available for your points.

Pilot37
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

It's not impossible - I managed to redeem two companion vouchers last year for return first class flights and I have another one booked for this year, again in first class both ways. I agree that some routes are pretty much impossible for 1st class redemptions - where are you trying to go?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeeT
BA don't have an Upper Class by the way..
Yup, if you want class you'll have to fly a premium airline...
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I was trying to book a first flight to Prague, and before we get all snooting that You cannot do First there you can to LHR from YYZ. I was trying for somewhere near Christmas time next year, I get the early booking thing. Figured 11 months out was good. The times I requested were shown as off peak so that is a good omen. I did notice that they have recently changed from the 777 or 747 to the 787 which has a reduced number of first seats.
Over the years I have built up some 1,000,000 avios so it would be nice to spend them. If there is any help available that is appreciated, if you are going to point out spelling mistakes or use of terminology that you do not like well.........
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Schwann
Yup, if you want class you'll have to fly a premium airline...
^
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Try Nairobi just after Christmas 2017. Some flights have 7 F seats available at the moment. 25th Dec until Jan 1st seems good. As far as the flights are loaded back to London some days have 5 or 7 in the F cabin so you can get back too.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
In the last year or two I have found availability on BA in both J and F very good as long as you can be a little flexible.

<<snip>>

If however, you are willing to be flexible on dates and on routes with multiple flights (JFK for example), F seats are generally available and can be open in significant quantity if you look a little harder.

Expertflyer is worth a subscription if you want to see what is available for your points.

Pilot37
I actually agree with this. I have seen that rewards are more readily available (or so it seems, to me) than in previous years. We certainly get fewer posts on BAFT about this in the last 18-24 months if my memory serves me right - it is usually a good indicator in a general sense.

Certainly, I think SH RFS availability has improved, and I enjoy this benefit. I wouldn't waste extra Avios on CE, as its just not worth it - and I can manage a 1-3hr hop without a salad or scone.

If you are flexible to a degree, and not fixated on heading to SYD or CPT (which I know if I was going to one of these destinations), just pay cash.

Although, I have done fewer LH rewards in the last 12 months as QR are just so competitive (in price and quality terms) for going east, and my westwards LH travel has tailed off (and I have been using LX a bit more going west).

In summary, it's not impossible just be flexible with your timings and availability is there.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
Karcer,
Having had a quick look at redemption availability YYZ-LHR on ba.com I don't think you're going to have much luck getting F on both legs in December. There's some availability on the outbound, mostly Mondays, but nothing on the inbound as far as I can tell. As others have said this might just be because BA have high confidence they can fill those seats with revenue pax.

However, if you're happy to go earlier in the year there's some availability in September & October. For example:

9-OCT-17, BA98, YYZ-LHR - 2xF available
10-OCT-17, BA856, LHR-PRG - Club Europe / Euro Traveller both available
17-OCT-17, BA857, PRG-LHR - Club Europe / Euro Traveller both available
18-OCT-17, BA93, LHR-YYZ - 3xF available

329,500 Avios + 1,856 CAD (approx.)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I was trying to book a first flight to Prague, and before we get all snooting that You cannot do First there you can to LHR from YYZ. I was trying for somewhere near Christmas time next year, I get the early booking thing. Figured 11 months out was good. The times I requested were shown as off peak so that is a good omen. I did notice that they have recently changed from the 777 or 747 to the 787 which has a reduced number of first seats.
Over the years I have built up some 1,000,000 avios so it would be nice to spend them. If there is any help available that is appreciated, if you are going to point out spelling mistakes or use of terminology that you do not like well.........

worth looking for each sector by turn such as JFK-LHR then LHR-MXP for example, rather than JFK-MXP, I find this works better on BA.com

Could you be flexible and fly from JFK or ORD, that might help.

Also if AA have a flight to PRG you could spend your avios there? (not the 241 though)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
I got 4x first tickets to Mumbai on the better timed flight in November last year. It's do-able and avaliblity changes by the day so check back a bunch because even though the dates were less than 355 days away, they went from 2 to 3 to 4 and back again quite frequently!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:35 am

I'm looking for availability LHR to JFK in First for any dates late September/ October / November / early December with no success yet but hope if I keep looking I may get them following advice on here. If not I have a plan b booking as soon as seats are released. With reference to OP we had no trouble booking two UC reward tickets with a certain other airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.