Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Controversial: 'priority boarding' in SH is broken

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Controversial: 'priority boarding' in SH is broken

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The whole problem is easily solved. Get the cheapest possible ticket, and get a seat in Row 20.
As the "others" board in row number, the lot at the back get on first. Lots of room over head over rows 15 to 20.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by strichener
Easily resolved - fit less seats charge for overhead space.

I'd be shocked if they're not working on it.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: None anymore
Might I venture to suggest that what has actually precipitated this boarding priority problem is primarily HBO. This has put substantially increased pressure on overhead locker space.

Before HBO was introduced, I never felt any pressure to board early when travelling in CE and only limited pressure travelling as a then Silver. Now, early queuing up for boarding is like an arms race, even in CE.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
It seems that you're not seeking assistance from CC? Or maybe I've just been blessed with awesome crew in CE. I always sit in 1A for the leg room and I rely on the CC to sort out my bag without issue so far.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by 12939
Might I venture to suggest that what has actually precipitated this boarding priority problem is primarily HBO.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Passengers bring on more hand baggage because they have been trained to do so by LCC's, regardless of BA's HBO fares, but also because of slow baggage delivery in many airports. I see a lot of passengers in CE bringing huge amounts of hand baggage on board.

For me, the bigger problem is that BA are a soft touch in all areas - they rarely enforce carry on size, and there is no policing of overhead bin space when boarding.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rocketship87
It seems that you're not seeking assistance from CC? Or maybe I've just been blessed with awesome crew in CE. I always sit in 1A for the leg room and I rely on the CC to sort out my bag without issue so far.
This. I have never flown CE but flown domestic in row 1 hundreds of times and not once when the overheads have been full above me have the crew not sorted it for me, either by asking people to move their bags back if they are further back or putting my bag in the large locker in front of 1C.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
I was recently on a shorthaul flight (LHR-ZRH) ticketed in club europe. By the time I got to the gate (not late), there were maybe 40 passengers in the priority boarding queue ....
...there was no room for baggage in the club cabin (I was in 1A)

Is this post at all related?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27800913-post32.html
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As posted upthread, board the CE pax first ... and wait before calling the hordes of Gold/Silver/Bronze. Sorry if this eats into Lounge time, but at least it might minimise the ongoing complaints about overhead bins.

I say this in all sincerity, knowing that our next JER-LGW is in ET ... but our carryons go under the seat in front anyway! Oh ... Exit Row seats, so a quick Gold rush to get them inro the overhead will be needed (above OUR seats)
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
As posted upthread, board the CE pax first ... and wait before calling the hordes of Gold/Silver/Bronze. Sorry if this eats into Lounge time, but at least it might minimise the ongoing complaints about overhead bins.

I say this in all sincerity, knowing that our next JER-LGW is in ET ... but our carryons go under the seat in front anyway! Oh ... Exit Row seats, so a quick Gold rush to get them inro the overhead will be needed (above OUR seats)
I agree, but there will likely be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from frequent fliers indignant about being made to wait whilst occasional travellers in CE on redemptions and those on cheapo POUGs are allowed to board first.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
If boarding is done by class first of all then it works fairly, the premium cabins generally have enough space for the bags brought aboard.

Priority boarding only really applies in economy class so once the premium boarding is over then do economy in priority order.

Other airlines manage it, TK at IST being a great example of how to get it right.

But then this is BA we are talking about so the chaos will continue.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by V10
I agree, but there will likely be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from frequent fliers indignant about being made to wait whilst occasional travellers in CE on redemptions and those on cheapo POUGs are allowed to board first.
As a cheapo CE/CW traveller with BA, I do take your point without any rancour whatsoever.

However, I do believe that the occupants of the 'premium' cabins, however that's been achieved, should still take precedence over the generality of BAEC 'status' pax flying in Economy cabins. Otherwise, what's the point of having 'premium' cabins at all? (I hope Cruz doesn't read that).

Cluttering up boarding, and creating overhead issues, by those with 'status' earned by having a job that makes them fly a lot should NOT inconvenience those who have paid (one way or another) to enjoy the 'premium' experiences provided by BA at the pointed end of the aircaft. So there
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC
It's pretty clear how many wheely bags will fit onto a certain aircraft type in the Y and J cabins. Here's an idea:

Have two boarding times. Board Y first (in priority order), counting the number of overhead bags boarded until limit is reached. After wheely bag limit is reached, check all further bags unless they can fit under the seat. Keep J lockers closed during Y boarding, enforced by crew.

Boarding for J starts 10-15 mins after Y allowing extra time in lounge/later arrival at the airport. Also allows time for any extra Y bags to be put in the hold. J bags should always fit comfortably above the passengers' heads and there is plenty of underseat space below B and E. Crew can move bags around in Y if necessary to make room for an extra J bags. Guarantee all J pax will get the full allowance (i.e. one regulation size wheely and one small bag) in the cabin on every flight, even if this involves removing a Y passenger's bag and putting it in the hold.

This creates actual value for J, means that J pax aren't sat there unnecessarily whilst everyone boards past them, and reduces the pressue of getting your bag in the locker early for J pax.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
So my recent fast track boarding on LHR-DME (A231) consisted of: "We now invite our Club Europe and Gold card members to board via fast track". Like the good Silver that I am, I stood to the side to watch 2 golds, 4 other pax and about 12 Bronze pax walk past me. I decided to join the queue at that point and once on board, the only pax in Club were the four pax that did not have any status visible and one Gold. The other gold (& partner) were across the aisle. The Bronze behind my row had already taken up most of the luggage bin above my row and the one above his own. So much for enforcement (of boarding and cabin baggage).

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TabTraveller, I see your thinking. However, do you anticipate ground staff actually being able to implement/enforce that? It USED to work that way in JER, where ET pax boarded first by the rear stairs, and only when they were out the way were CE invited to board via the front stairs (which had previously been roped off). Sadly that sensible arrangement expired a few years ago.

Our last LGW-JER involved a bus, which is atypical, and entailed everyone at random picking whichever set of steps they noticed first. Inevitably a fair number had no idea row numbers started at the front, adding to the onboard confusion due to 'contra-flow'. It was a mess!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
The ground staff and crew yesterday at Basel did an exemplary job, I thought. If BA could manage this on every flight, I think everyone would be happy. The priority line was policed, Bronze was called only after the Club/Gold/Silver line had fully emptied, and people not entitled to be using those lines were turned away. Someone else before the jet bridge was putting yellow tags on the bags for people who had not boarded through the priority line, but didn't bother those who did.

On board, one crew member was very actively helping people put wheeled bags in the overhead and making sure all yellow-tagged bags went under the seat, even though the flight was lightly loaded.

The crew was still very much working out the kinks with BoB, but this very young looking group (BSL is Mixed Fleet, I think?) was otherwise fantastic managing boarding and bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.