Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Purchased flights with BA, they've upgraded me and refunded the money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchased flights with BA, they've upgraded me and refunded the money

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Arrow Purchased flights with BA, they've upgraded me and refunded the money

Who said BA was a **** airline?

Seriously though

IAH - LHR - ABZ 11 April
ABZ - LHR - LAS 12th May

They took the money from my account and gave me a booking ref. Logging into the website it looks all OK, not sure If it has been ticketed (would it be this far away? How can I check?) However, I've just seen my bank account and the money is back, they've not refunded it so to speak but it looks like the 'pending' authorization they took as been cleared as 0 and they have not taken the money. Spoke to the bank and they said they cancelled the charges.

I saw a similar post about someone waiting months for the money to clear. This seems a bit different, makes no sense.

I guess I should call. Or just not say anything.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OSIModel
Who said BA was a **** airline?

Seriously though

IAH - LHR - ABZ 11 April
ABZ - LHR - LAS 12th May

They took the money from my account and gave me a booking ref. Logging into the website it looks all OK, not sure If it has been ticketed (would it be this far away? How can I check?) However, I've just seen my bank account and the money is back, they've not refunded it so to speak but it looks like the 'pending' authorization they took as been cleared as 0 and they have not taken the money. Spoke to the bank and they said they cancelled the charges.

I saw a similar post about someone waiting months for the money to clear. This seems a bit different, makes no sense.

I guess I should call. Or just not say anything.
Paid by debit card I guess ?

The preauthorisation of the amount probably expired before BA issued the ticket and completed the transaction.

This ticketing process of BA's is pants. I'm still waiting for tickets to be issued from a booking made before Christmas. The flight isn't until May but I hope my bank account is covered at the time they finally decide to take the funds and issue the ticket.

On the other hand, feel free to shop around and if you find something better you can always cancel the unticketed booking at any time and free of charge.

Use www.checkmytrip.com and look for ticket numbers in the reservation to be sure.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It says "confirmed" and there is a E-Ticket Number?
I guess it has been ticketed?
That's odd, is it?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just slow ticketing I would say, did you book it by telephone or change some detail? If you don't see a number beginning 125 in checkmytrip, and you haven't had an email receipt, you won't be ticketed and you won't be flying (or even checking in) until you are ticketed.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Paid by debit card I guess ?

The preauthorisation of the amount probably expired before BA issued the ticket and completed the transaction.

This ticketing process of BA's is pants. I'm still waiting for tickets to be issued from a booking made before Christmas. The flight isn't until May but I hope my bank account is covered at the time they finally decide to take the funds and issue the ticket.

On the other hand, feel free to shop around and if you find something better you can always cancel the unticketed booking at any time and free of charge.

Use www.checkmytrip.com and look for ticket numbers in the reservation to be sure.
If this was for a new booking i would call if you havent already!!!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just slow ticketing I would say, did you book it by telephone or change some detail? If you don't see a number beginning 125 in checkmytrip, and you haven't had an email receipt, you won't be ticketed and you won't be flying (or even checking in) until you are ticketed.
Hi,
It's a 125.
This makes no sense, still no money out.
What would they do If I cancel my card - cancel the ticket?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:19 pm

Just because the preauth expires on view in the account doesn't mean they can't use it to do a full auth and capture.

It's only if the full auth expires before the capture transaction is done do you have a problem.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What was the role of the upgrade in all of this?

If you already had a ticket, and some sort of upgrade has taken place, you could very well still see a 125- ticket number still in place which doesn't cover your entire trip so that you are actually still waiting for a ticket reissue. If the situation is something like that, I would take no comfort from the mere fact that you can see a 125- ticket.

I think we'd need much more information from you about what has actually happened.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Pretty much.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What was the role of the upgrade in all of this?
Agreed. Not clear.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hi,
It's a 125.
This makes no sense, still no money out.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Pretty much.
I've seen animated discussions at the gate between the TRM and passengers with card issues. TRMs get contacted and told X cannot fly because they haven't paid for the their tickets, or more specifically, the credit card company has recalled the payment to BA. There are two features here, the booking/reservation - this will live on regardless - and the ticket, which needs to be paid for before check-in can happen. If the credit card company declines payment or retracts payment, then there is a process in place to stop travel until the matter is resolved. I am not saying that things never slip through the net, more on the redemption side perhaps, but BA isn't a charity and quite reasonably goes to some length to ensure payment.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:43 am

Had similar thing a few years ago.

Booked CW to St Lucia with hotel. Paid deposit at time of booking and the money showed as pending then dropped off. Every subsequent payment I made against the balance did exactly the same although the balance reduced by the paid amount.

Anyway, about 2 weeks before the flight I had a call saying that I still owed £3500 on the booking and I needed to pay or ticket would be cancelled. Duly paid and flew without incident.

Bottom line. This will catch up with you. maybe not for a while but I am sure you wont board that plane until the money is in the BA accounts!!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am not saying that things never slip through the net, more on the redemption side perhaps, but BA isn't a charity and quite reasonably goes to some length to ensure payment.
Then I'm afraid they should issue tickets in a more timely manner. BA brings these issues on themselves.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I changed a booking recently and gave card details to pay the fare difference. BA used the wrong postcode, so payment failed and they called me back. I explained what they needed to correct, but the reissue went into a queue at the 'nobody cares' level.

Starting 10 days before travel, I called to enquire as to the progress. Varying responses were given, along the lines of 'we need your card details again, wait a few days' to 'oh, that should have happened' to 'that really should have happened, we've clearly made a mess of this'. Three days before travel, the ticket was reissued and I flew without any raised eyebrows.

I checked my bank statement - my card wasn't charged until three weeks after travel!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm on the phone to them now the guy said

"It's been confirmed and ticketed we have taken the payment"

I said "I can 100% assure you no monies have been taken"

"Well you'll be on the flight"

I guess I should not take the chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.