Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, EI Aer Club, LifeMiles
Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017!

Ho ho ho! Santa is here for you early with some exciting news!

Hot on the heels of news that IAG plans fly long haul from BCN, comes another, even more exciting "regional" prospect.

BA are apparently considering flying long haul from Manchester again at last, along with a few holiday routes, perhaps to test the market.

An interesting thread on a-net has the details:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1350637

Suggestion is that BA will take over JFK and ORD flights at MAN from AA using a Gatwick B772, with LGW based crews.

European routes are allegedly PMI, IBZ, NCE, AGP & ALC, with LCY used to position the aircraft and provide crews.

If anyone is connected to BA's Yammer, apparently that's where the word on the street is coming from...

And finally....they may be returning to BHX too for some summer seasonal bucket n spade routes!!

Be good to hear your thoughts, views, rumours, info ^

Last edited by The Lion; Dec 23, 2016 at 8:23 am Reason: Tweakin' text
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Never. What would the 'London airways' moaners complain about then?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Interesting... of course with these new routes, it makes you wonder if there aren't some new planes on the horizon (or cuts to existing ones).

AA and BA operate from different terminals at ORD and JFK as well, so it's not entirely straightforward to get the slots.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BERbound
Never. What would the 'London airways' moaners complain about then?
'English Airways'!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Brexit Airways - no need to change the initial then
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: Some
A daily flight with CW between MAN and LON would be nice!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm always a bit worried about rumours, and that thread has the BA + VY from MAN + VY from BHX. All those mentions of NCE routes are of course welcome by this particular FTer and I remember taking many a packed BA Embraer when they used to fly MAN-NCE nonstop in the early 2000s. Of course, they'd be challenging Jet2 on most of the proposed short haul routes.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
A daily flight with CW between MAN and LON would be nice!
On the positioning aircraft? It may be put on a LON-JFK-MAN-JFK-LON rotation instead.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JAXBA
On the positioning aircraft? It may be put on a LON-JFK-MAN-JFK-LON rotation instead.
That's what the a.net forum indeed suggests and sounds credible. I suspect that apart from anything else, the refitting with smaller J and 10 across in Y is changing the economic case for BA from both LGW and potentially major regional airports like MAN and BHX.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA
Whilst I'm not commenting on the details or start date, long haul from MAN will make a comeback.

The eventual plan (as it stands) is for LGW and MAN to go all 787. Utilising a single fleet streamlines the operation, and the flexibility of having three sizes of aircraft in the same family opens up more route possibilities.

Of course, the company has a habit of giving all the new toys to LHR. This will change if the results are positive (whilst taking future 787 economics into account). Management is becoming a little braver partly because the competition has show that it has to.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by hemschmall
Whilst I'm not commenting on the details or start date, long haul from MAN will make a comeback.
As in 'but not the shorthaul' with Cityflyer?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
As in 'but not the shorthaul' with Cityflyer?
Oh, I just got excited talking about the long haul from MAN and forgot the rest. Much more interesting to me than a few weekend bucket and spade routes!

A short-haul operation is planned along the lines that are being suggested.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by hemschmall
Oh, I just got excited talking about the long haul from MAN and forgot the rest. Much more interesting to me than a few weekend bucket and spade routes!

A short-haul operation is planned along the lines that are being suggested.
Thanks!! I actually think both sound like an improvement!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Purely speculatively, but it seems Norwegian (and the LGW flights) are going on price-stimulates demand which would thicken trunk routes. Running LGW-XXX-MAN-XXX-LGW to places like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles etc. makes some sense. Particularly when partnered with sales vehicles like transatlantic JVs and BA Holidays. No doubt they've a strong sense of search demand too.

With the QR JV, perhaps a Y-heavy LGW reconfigured 777 could do the trick on MAN-DOH too?

Not unreasonable, but it does seem the 777 would be the only available aircraft (since the the 787-8's are all tied up as is), but that's a lot of capacity?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Not unreasonable, but it does seem the 777 would be the only available aircraft (since the the 787-8's are all tied up as is), but that's a lot of capacity?
Currently planned to run with 777 initially for operational (LGW fleet) reasons, as well as general availability. Extra 747s will be kept at LHR (between 3-5) and refurbished to free up the 777s.

Keeping the competition at bay is the first objective, even if the financial results aren't that great. The 777-200ER is what we currently have and we will make do. The first 12-18 months of operation will give us the data to work out what a 787 operation would likely look like in financial terms. Hopefully it'll look quite perky.

Last edited by hemschmall; Dec 23, 2016 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.