Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA327 cancelled on 15April move to 3 h earlier flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:21 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi

Our flight on 15 April BA327 CDG-LHR 21:00 was cancelled
BA moved us to 18.10 BA323 which we will miss
we have 2 bookings
1 adult+1 Inflant with checkin baggage
1 adult + Child

not mention what our friends 3 adults and 3 child more are in the same situation

so I called today for options which I can accept
1. BA will move us to AF1380 20:35
2. we will flight next day and BA will pay for overnight stay at CDG, not perfect because of 16 April Easter.....

so BA Guest relation said
what hotel will be on my expanses they will not cover it, but they can move us to AirFrance flight, but ticket office refused it because they can only move as to cadeshare partner...but if we will miss flight 18:10 at airport agents can move us to Air france flight what a nonsens

so we will be waiting in line at CDG to do it then BA could easy book us in advance!!

its very poor solution
and saying what I must pay for hotel for next day flight its also breaking EU law, sorry BA you cancelled flight you should take responsibility

any advice?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko
Hi
(...)
its very poor solution
and saying what I must pay for hotel for next day flight its also breaking EU law, sorry BA you cancelled flight you should take responsibility
I'm sorry, but there is no EU law stating the airline has to pay an overnight for a flight change/cancellation more than 3 months before.

I know that it's not nice; I had something similar just a couple of weeks ago with OS, that resulted in asking for refund in order to book 4 new ticket (on another airline) and adding overnight hotels. Sometimes you have to eat the extra-costs...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:35 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi

Our flight on 15 April BA327 CDG-LHR 21:00 was cancelled
BA moved us to 18.10 BA323 which we will miss
we have 2 bookings
1 adult+1 Inflant with checkin baggage
1 adult + Child

not mention what our friends 3 adults and 3 child more are in the same situation

so I called today for options which I can accept
1. BA will move us to AF1380 20:35
2. we will flight next day and BA will pay for overnight stay at CDG, not perfect because of 16 April Easter.....

so BA Guest relation said
what hotel will be on my expanses they will not cover it, but they can move us to AirFrance flight, but ticket office refused it because they can only move as to cadeshare partner...but if we will miss flight 18:10 at airport agents can move us to Air france flight what a nonsens

so we will be waiting in line at CDG to do it then BA could easy book us in advance!!

its very poor solution

any advice?
In respect of EU law, I'm afraid BA is in the right here - duty of care under EC261 does not apply to cancellations this far in advance. They are offering you an option of an earlier flight, which you can choose to take. Because this is more than two weeks ahead, you are not entitled to compensation for the time move.

Your rights under EC261 are for a re-route at the earliest opportunity under comparable conditions (for which there is no proven legal recourse of being on a different carrier, and with multiple flights per day between Paris and London on BA it's difficult to imagine a court siding with you there), later re-routing, or a refund.

It strikes me that your best bet may be to take the refund option, and re-book on the AF option you highlighted - or is there some misunderstanding here, and the CDG-LHR leg is the last flight in a bigger (single ticket) itinerary? In that case, BA would have to re-time everything for you so you could make the earlier flight.

The current day BA is not going to budge from those options, however painful or unfair it might be on the passenger.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:44 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

It strikes me that your best bet may be to take the refund option, and re-book on the AF option you highlighted - or is there some misunderstanding here, and the CDG-LHR leg is the last flight in a bigger (single ticket) itinerary? In that case, BA would have to re-time everything for you so you could make the earlier flight.
we on return from another destination (not one world)

refund and book on AF will be 200 pounds more.....
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

On a separate ticket then, by the sounds of it? If that's the case I'm afraid you have absolutely no chance of BA helping you here ...

I would have to assume there was a considerable cost saving starting ex-CDG, which you would have had to balance against the possibility of missing your connecting flight. You have zero protection on separate tickets, as I'm sure you know, so realistically you have little choice now but to eat the £200 extra and write it off to experience, or pay for a hotel and take the next morning's flight, in the hope that at least you'll still be making some saving - sorry.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:49 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
but if we will miss flight 18:10 at airport agents can move us to Air france flight what a nonsens

I don't believe BA will move you to an AF flight for free on the day if you miss your flight, why would they?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:49 am

Is the other destination flight on the same ticket or a separate ticket?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

If it's 200 GBP more in total (for all party), I would go for it. Could be less expensive & stressful than an overnight at CDG.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Sorry Pawel, unfortunately you're basically on your own. Your options are the earlier flight or a full refund.

There was another thread recently with a similar issue. No luck there either: BA changing my flights with no alternatives - options and advice?

No, it doesn't seem fair, yes, that's how it works.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:27 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

We have separate tickets

BA it's just connection on way back
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The issue of hotel accommodation under EC261 is a complex one, BA is using a reading of it which certainly suits them, namely that right of care doesn't extend to changes well in advance, but actually right of care isn't limited in terms of the Regulation's actual wording. But essentially and realistically I would assume that a hotel isn't going to happen, it would require considerable legal process to get that to happen. Maybe insurance will help. If the earlier booking is with BA you may be able to get that shifted, on an ex-gratia basis. Essentially this is the risk you take with separate tickets.

I would point out that you seem to have had a similar problem before:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-flight.html

And though it's not your fault that BA have moved the flight, it's a realistic possibility if booked well in advance. If you are back to backing, then you would have been OK, but allowing just a few hours between flights on separate tickets is something I would suggest is not a clever idea: either go the night before, or back to back at a sensible location, or leave a lot more time than a few hours. LYS should have been cheaper and do-able as a back to back location. You've had the benefit of your previous experience, and you'll have seen the copious advice put out in this forum on how to handle these bookings.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'm not sure what the bigger picture is here, but is there a late Orly flight that day? There is normally one around 19:30-20:00.

Edit: there is indeed a 19:30 flight, £52 each HBO, but they should rebook you to it. If it's cheaper than your current flight you can claim a refund and rebook.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are back to backing, then you would have been OK
I've actually been caught out on an MXP back-to-back - coming off a long haul, they've kept the outbound (ex-LHR) and so far haven't cancelled the inbound (ex-MIL).

I'm now debating whether to go for the early flight from LIN or MXP. (MXP is much easier as I have to fly into MXP, but the return leaves an hour later). It looks like my second-to-last flight of the day will actually overnight... another risk of B2B, albeit hardly the end of the world (single traveller, no checked bags!)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm sorry but this is the risk of separate tickets. It doesn't sound like an ex-EU thing, just flying into CDG on a completely separate non-OW carrier at ca 1900. A next day flight with a £200 hotel room seems like a small price to pay.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by BA6501
I'm not sure what the bigger picture is here, but is there a late Orly flight that day? There is normally one around 19:30-20:00.

Edit: there is indeed a 19:30 flight, £52 each HBO, but they should rebook you to it. If it's cheaper than your current flight you can claim a refund and rebook.
If they are landing into CDG and wouldn't make a 1800 departure then I doubt a 1930 ORY departure would work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.