Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled, bags with Airportr, advice please..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I wanted to save money - and bought a ticket ZRH-x/LHR-KUL-LHR which was cheaper than from LHR obviously. So I had to redeem an AVIOS ticket from LCY-ZRH (BA 8763 on Tue 6 Dec departing at 7am) to do a turnaround and catch the flight (BA713 departing at 1310).

Whilst going through MMB a few days ago, I found a new service called Airportr ( which BAEC members get a 15% discount) where they will send someone to come to the home to pick up my luggage and have it checked in for my flight as well. So I arranged all that and Airportr did come to where I am staying at 6pm today to collect my bags. I have to say I am very impressed at their service!

All fine and dandy and I was getting ready for bed (since I'd have to get up at the crack of dawn to catch the 7am flight to ZRH), where, lo and behold through TripCase (and not even BA.COM) I get a message advising me that BA 8763 has been cancelled !

So I called BA Executive Club and asked them what I am to do - to which I knew they would only offer an alternate flight from LHR to ZRH at 710am . To which I ask them that is not going to do as my bags are being handled by Airportr and are effectively being stored at LCY to ready to check in!

Whilst multitasking - laptop on lap, phone on call to Exec Club and mobile trying to reach Airportr, I figured that the best solution was to ask whoever to authorise my ZRH-LHR-KUL ticket to start from LHR. After getting all the facts, the agent agreed to cancel my AVIOS booking with full refund and no penalty, and to cancel ZRH-LHR and reissue that ticket to start from LHR only.

Meanwhile I am still waiting for Airport to get back to me. Basically I need them to deliver my bags from LCY to LHR now. I'll bear with the extra cost since this isn't their problem and I will claim it back from BA eventually.

So my fellow BA gurus, what sort of compensation should I get from BA. Just the price difference for Airportr's services, or more?

Under EU 261/2004:

Cancellation or denied boarding
If your flight is cancelled, and you were informed less than 2 weeks prior to the scheduled date or you're denied boarding you're entitled to:

Transport to your final destination using comparable alternative transport means or
A refund for your ticket or
Transport free of charge to your initial departure point if you have connecting flights, and
Financial compensation of EUR 250 to EUR 600 depending on the distance of your flight. If the carrier offers you an alternative flight, and you reach your final destination with a delay of 2, 3 or 4 hours depending on the length of the flight, the compensation may be reduced by 50% (see below).
In cases of re-routing, you are also entitled to care (drinks, meals, communications) and, if necessary, hotel accommodation (including transfer) depending on the length of the delay.
I'm not demanding a lot of money and yelling DYKWIA.. but rather seeing what BA can do for me since having the inconvenience of rearranging (and coughing out additional costs) for getting from Stratford to Heathrow. (Yeah, that's why I always prefer to depart from LCY).

Thank you for your information !
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I would call myself as pretty seasoned in 'tricks of the trade' but at first I thought your post was ironic.

BA have basically allowed you to get a direct LHR flight at an ex-EU flight cost without having to fly the ex-EU legs. Do you really want to go and grab an extra 50 quid from them?

If I were you I would pat myself on the back for the good result, enjoy the extra couple of hours' sleep, and write a thank you note to BA for their flexibility.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's worth saying that airpotr do have a representative on FT.

Her name is Lucy, and you can message her on here - PM AirPortr

M
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, I try not pass judgement on the mindset of some FTers, but that can be quite hard sometimes. However I hope the OP is being ironic.

But to answer the question, you won't be entitled to compensation for the delay since you were offered another flight at similar timings under Article 5.c.iii (OK, there is an argument to be had about LCY v LHR). And you didn't actually take that option anyway and voluntarily rebooked the whole trip. You could ask for the fare difference between LCY and LHR, which from Stratford is £1.60.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd walk away with the result you got, especially as it didn't require either a fight or the intervention of Special Services.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for all your answers - I'd only fight for the difference in transport fares between Stratford to LCY , which is £20 on Addison Lee vs Stratford to LHR which will be around £60, AND the difference of what AirPortr will charge me in getting my bags from LCY to LHR.

I'll message Lucy as per msm2000uk suggests.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
BA waived the extra fare that would have been involved in changing the ex-ZRH to ex-LHR despite not having to do so, and you'd claim the difference in Ad Lee and the cost of bags (which really was your choice to use)?

Pretty much asking BA to tighten up on offering any kind of flexibility for ex-Europe to those in a similar situation and turn around and say "separate booking, your problem, tough!" which they can theoretically do, is it not?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I really do not think you should look the gift horse any further in the mouth, lest you spoil this for others who come after you. Take the BA rebooking and be very grateful.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It wouldn't have been. I would have taken up on the departure from LHR at 710am it was only because AirPortr had already initiated the process of taking my bags for check in at LCY and I know that I would not have time to pick up my bags at LCY at 5am and then rush to Heathrow for that flight. Basically at 10pm, LCY was closed and I could not get hold of AirPortr through their call centre or website.

Yes, BA could have very well said , tough, your problem. And washed their hands of it. I'm glad they did bend the rules. But I'll just see what I can ask what AirPortr will do first, and their extra costs and then decide on my course of action.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
It wouldn't have been. I would have taken up on the departure from LHR at 710am it was only because AirPortr had already initiated the process of taking my bags for check in at LCY and I know that I would not have time to pick up my bags at LCY at 5am and then rush to Heathrow for that flight. Basically at 10pm, LCY was closed and I could not get hold of AirPortr through their call centre or website.

Yes, BA could have very well said , tough, your problem. And washed their hands of it. I'm glad they did bend the rules. But I'll just see what I can ask what AirPortr will do first, and their extra costs and then decide on my course of action.
Seems to me with separate PNRs that BA could just have placed you on a later flight to ZRH, and you would have then lost your ZRH-LHR-KUL-LHR-ZRH ex-EU flight and as a separate PNR , BA have no further responsibility to you.

Bearing in mind how much BAs flexibility has saved you with not needing to repurchase an EU->KUL rtn flight, surely you can quietly swallow £50-100

You got an extraordinary good result from BA , who are already adverse to ex-eu fares and could (maybe should have) played hardball. Please just be thankful for the big win, let it lie , and don't put off BA being just as helpful in future to others, which help may disapear if you are greedy and persue such a small sum after BA has already been generous.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Wow I'm surprised they reissued the ticket to be ex-LHR. I assume you've checked the paperwork and the ticket is valid etc?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Had OP taken up BA on the LHR-ZRH service, he would have been entitled to claim for the reasonable local transportation difference between LCY and LHR. But, OP chose the EC 261/2004 option of a refund of his LCY-ZRH ticket and thus the local transportation issue never comes into play and OP has no claim for that at all. His trek to LHR for his other ticket has nothing to do with the cancelled flight.

BA would not be responsible for any fees which OP pays to Airpotr to cart his luggage from LCY to LHR as that is an ancillary service which he chose to engage on his own and has nothing to do with BA. Indeed, OP chose to cancel the ticket for which the bags were taken to LCY and the only need for them at LHR is on another ticket which has nothing to do with the cancelled flight.

I suspect that if an EC 261/2004 claim were made and someone more senior took a look at the two tickets and they were audited, the agent who had waived the fees, refaring and simply reissued would be in for some discussions and retraining.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by flatlander
I really do not think you should look the gift horse any further in the mouth, lest you spoil this for others who come after you. Take the BA rebooking and be very grateful.
Exactly.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I'm sure that BA will gladly refund you the extra monies paid for transport and to the bag company.

After they have repriced the trip for ex uk rather than the much cheaper ex eu

cs
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I'm sure that BA will gladly refund you the extra monies paid for transport and to the bag company.

After they have repriced the trip for ex uk rather than the much cheaper ex eu

cs
I think you are missing the point that OP would have gladly taken Lon-ZRH had it not been due to inability of Airportr, service sold through BA, to get his bags to a new flight rebooked to LHR-ZRH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.