Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QR R class change to TP on BAEC [Confirmed as error on BA.com]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR R class change to TP on BAEC [Confirmed as error on BA.com]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You would not be paying J prices for zero earnings - you would be paying fares discounted to the level where the airline feels that the discount itself is the benefit of the fare

Would the fare be cheaper on another carrier? if so, then logically would make sense to book there anyway. If not, then you would be spending extra to effectively buy miles
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You would not be paying J prices for zero earnings - you would be paying fares discounted to the level where the airline feels that the discount itself is the benefit of the fare
Which might be fair enough from this point but not for those who purchased in good faith prior to this change.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:47 pm

Sad but not surprising, my recent ex-OSL was nearly all Brits, most of whom came of the Norwegian flight from Gatwick with me, so BA didn't even get that revenue!

One 700 quid return to Asia and a cheap CE sector to get access to lounges and other benefits for a year on 100 quid HBO fares just wasn't sustainable for BA and totally disproportionate to what they offer on their own metal

Be interesting to see if they honour pre-booked, I had one IB leg in the last deval which they honored once I sent proof of the date I booked (they can't see) - but that was 5tp not 560!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
One 700 quid return to Asia and a cheap CE sector to get access to lounges and other benefits for a year on 100 quid HBO fares just wasn't sustainable for BA and totally disproportionate to what they offer on their own metal
I always thought it was a bit out of whack that a cheap connecting J flight to Asia practically gets you Silver.

A fairer way would be to reduce rather than eliminate the TP earning for discount J, basically the same way that discount Y works.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by walkingtall
This must have been actioned from the 1st November , as my flights from the 30th/31st October have credited.
I thought the earnings changes started on Nov 30th per the table but now Im not 100% sure as the pre Nov 30th table ismissing R class as well

Now I count myself lucky I did NOT book any R class tickets for next year.

Makes my move from OW back to star alot easier...

Not so much because it would be better but rather I am just not pleased witj ONEWORLD and all these changes!

I do agree with the post that instead of ZERO they should have just done a reduced J. AA changed R to 100% instead of 125% ofcourse AA also gives elite bonuses For QR flights too
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just wish they'd decide what they're going to do and release a policy; especially concerning those who booked months ago on the basis that R earnt on BAEC.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kauppias
If its under the ba code there would be no problem I guess I am not very confident when it comes to ba
For itineraries with purely BA flight numbers, yes - but the point is that most aren't, they're a mix (certainly if North American itineraries with BA/AA are used as an example of the workings of a JV), so now BA codeshares in a given itinerary will credit but QR flights in R won't. If ticketed on BA stock, and possibly even QR stock with BA codeshares, BA would know when the booking was made.

So, there's no reason why BA couldn't honour existing bookings as they did last time - but the change in emphasis at the airline means they almost certainly won't.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:56 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I sincerely hope all the GGL/CCR runners on here will survive, now with the AA TP devaluation and QR 'R' earning nothing... how will you all cope?!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
Sad news

Due to the route changes my AKL flights end of the year changed to J and I class. So I hope they're okay.
To the experts... Does QR have to pay for the TP and Avios? I can't see the reason for them to drop R at BA. The latter are the direct effected one due to more avios circulation and more people in lounges etc? QR can just be happy to have more passengers or not?

Sorry forgot the point that of course it could be a thought from QR to push their own ffp?

Last edited by pebadian; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:13 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
For itineraries with purely BA flight numbers, yes - but the point is that most aren't, they're a mix (certainly if North American itineraries with BA/AA are used as an example of the workings of a JV), so now BA codeshares in a given itinerary will credit but QR flights in R won't. If ticketed on BA stock, and possibly even QR stock with BA codeshares, BA would know when the booking was made.

So, there's no reason why BA couldn't honour existing bookings as they did last time - but the change in emphasis at the airline means they almost certainly won't.
I thought last time they only credited the ba flights at the old rates but perhaps I misremember...

But lets hope they do honor the old rates for booking prior, I just doubt it. This does not effact me but I know many are devasted by these unannounced changes.

OW programs sure have had a rough year 2016!!!!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by rxfleming
I sincerely hope all the GGL/CCR runners on here will survive, now with the AA TP devaluation and QR 'R' earning nothing... how will you all cope?!
This change will definately thin the herd so to say of the Gold/GGL. Propably alot of silvers as well.

As a rule I think FFP should be required to inform of MAJOR changes one year and one week before hand 😀 Wishful thinking I know
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Well I can book a trip to the Maldives next year for Mrs PK and myself in QR R class for £4k for the pair of us or book on the same QR flights with via BA for £13.5k. (It is the same cost if the LHR-DOH sectors are on BA metal). The BA website however only alllows booking into J so the extra £9.5k does save me the cancellation fee of £330 per person as well as earning lots of lovely Avios. Fully flexible business on these flights booked with QR woud be £8k for the pair of us.
Now I accpet that BA chooses not to fly to MLE in late May but even if I look at JNB I save 50% by flying QR metal and foregoing the Avios rather than BA metal. Most of the cheapest QR business tickets allow refund of a large proportion of the fare, most of the cheapest BA tickets do not.
I'm increasingly unclear of the vale of the BAEC and as such there is even less incentive to fly BA.

Last edited by pomkiwi; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:19 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by rxfleming
AA TP delvaluation? Can you please elaborate more on this change?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
AA TP delvaluation? Can you please elaborate more on this change?
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...duced-tps.html
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a R class trip to Thailand coming up in February booked 6 weeks ago with QR.

I have not received any notification of the changes from BAEC. The web-site in Belgium today on the TP Avios calculator is still showing R class at 140 TPs per sector. I have taken screen shots as proof!

By the way, what has happened to Mr Hillier? Has he been enhanced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.