Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do they throttle download speeds in the lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

Slightly frustratedly trying to download something to watch on the flight and a film which should take 5 mins to download is taking 90. Annoying give the cost of data to BA.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Worcester
Slightly frustratedly trying to download something to watch on the flight and a film which should take 5 mins to download is taking 90. Annoying give the cost of data to BA.
I don't think so, but if loads of people are doing heavy downloads it could use up a lot of bandwidth ...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
No, they've just "enhanced" the entire lounge's connection speed. Apparently ISDN was 50p cheaper...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Lots of people + not enough original bandwidth... slow downloads. End of.

Airport lounges are not the place to download content IMO. The line BA are using is probably just about good enough for checking email and a little basic browsing, anything above that in any lounge is a big bonus.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
I think it's just contention, I get reasonable download speed when the lounges are quiet but much slower at busier times. I'd agree it's not the place to download content for a flight...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I was reasonably impressed with the lounge Wifi yesterday afternoon in Galleries South. 140MB file downloaded in 3 or 4 mins. I expected worse.

Didn't look like it was being shaped, just contended. It started slowly and sped up as time went on.

Depending on which airport/lounge you're in if you're stuck you could try jumping on the airport WiFi instead.

Good luck!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by CommanderB
Lots of people + not enough original bandwidth... slow downloads. End of.

Airport lounges are not the place to download content IMO.

unless you are at LBA...

6/9/16 Download 162.19Mps, upload a mere 17.20Mps

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
unless you are at LBA...

6/9/16 Download 162.19Mps, upload a mere 17.20Mps

And here was me thinking LBA didn't have much going for it!

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What speed were you getting? I don't expect that everyone in a lounge should be able to download a film in 5 minutes.
I presume you were legally downloading a film you've purchased..
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
My experience is that the lounge wifi speed is relatively generous for a 'public place' - I generally have no trouble watching videos on YouTube, for example. And it is certainly sufficient for email and web browsing.

However I would agree that a lounge is probably not the place to expect to be able to download films quickly. I've done it before myself and some lounges the speed is sufficient for this, but I wouldn't go to a lounge expecting to be able to do it.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Probably because too many people were trying to do the same?

Maybe it's worth doing that at home before you leave...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Probably because too many people were trying to do the same?

Maybe it's worth doing that at home before you leave...
But that would require common sense...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I wonder if the Q is less about the cost of connectivity per month per location to BA and more how much they'd need to pay if everyone wanted to download (film/ whatever/ doesn't matter) and expected decent throughput *at the same time*

100 passengers/ hr doing a (For the sake of argument) 1Gb file download, in a timely manner, while others also expect half decent speeds on general browsing/ email etc, is a *large* pipe.

DSLreports says it would take 3.6 Mbs to get a 1Gb file in 5 mins for one person.

http://www.dslreports.com/calculator...=0+bps&c3=Calc

You don't mention which lounge it is. Even for T5, say, 100 people trying to do that is a serious connection. For an outstation it's a big cost.

Last edited by happyintheair; Oct 25, 2016 at 12:43 pm Reason: added clarification about lots of people doing downloads at same timne
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
There is a number of data centres within minutes of Heathrow, so access to networks should not be an issue. Thinking outside the box, the fibre that is used to serve Virgin station wifi at T1-3 & 4 could be brought into the buildings and provide the backbone for an array of access points. But let's face it, Heathrow doesn't want what pax want: Heathrow want as many pax as possible and they want them to spend as much time and money in the shops as they can and not be glued to their devices.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
While there is a very well connected datacentre across the road from Heathrow just opposite the ambulance and fire station (at least until it's replaced with a taxiway to the 3rd runway), I suspect that HAL infrastructure and bureaucracy make it tricky to have an easy connection from there to the lounge.

Howver in my experience the lounge wifi is fairly speedy; several Mbit/sec is adequate for most people's uses and it's at least that fast.

Meanwhile Heathrow has fairly good wifi of its own, although they have the outmoded idea that it's not a basic resource like toilets to be included in the airport usage fee and so try to charge for it after an hour or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.