Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Problem Booking AA Codeshare on Latam with Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I booked a AA codeshare flight from LAX to SCL operated by Latam. BA.com shows availability and initially I was able to book the flight but few minutes after I got the confirmation I got another email saying that the flight was cancelled. I called the UK Gold line and asked for assistance; the representative said that the flight was cancelled and that he can rebook me. I declined and asked to cancel the booking which he did.

I then decided to try again and called the Gold line again and asked them to do the booking (after explaining the situation). The very courteous representative told me finally that because it is an AA codeshare with LATAM flight he cannot book it and that I might try directly with AA (although I'm not a member of AAdvantage).

One more piece of information that might be related - the booking is for my son. He is currently booked on AA service to SCL from DFW (also with Avios through BA.com) on the same date. I booked this one (with an additional leg LAX-DFW) because there wasn't availability on the direct flight from LAX when I booked this. The representative said that this cannot be the reason for the problem although I speculated that perhaps the system prevents booking for the same person on two flight to the same destination on the same date.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

EDIT - Talked to AA customer service; they cannot help.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Oct 22, 2016 at 11:18 am
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:20 am

Firstly the AA codeshare point is a complete red herring. If it's a Latam operated flight then you book under the Latam flight number and AA doesn't come into it.

I would suggest calling back, give them the LA flight number and ask to book that.

The DFW flight shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Firstly the AA codeshare point is a complete red herring. If it's a Latam operated flight then you book under the Latam flight number and AA doesn't come into it.

I would suggest calling back, give them the LA flight number and ask to book that.

The DFW flight shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks; I'll give a bit more information that I forgot to mention in the original post. I booked two other pax on the LA flight some two months ago. At the time BA.com showed LA availability; not it only shows AA codeshare (see screen shot) and this is what the people on the Gold line see. So I don't know how they can book on the original LA flight number although perhaps I should give it a try.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:35 am

That's weird. The prime flight number according to ITA matrix is LA603. Hopefully the Gold line will be able to see that one - do let us know.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I talked to three different agents (in sales and in another department) - no good. There is no availability on the LA flight only on the AA codeshare (ExpertFlyer does show availability on AA). Each one of the agents has a different explanation but the bottom line is the same - nothing that they can do. One even suggested that I open an AAdvantage account and transfer my Avios there

Maybe I will try to book it through IB if there is availability....

EDIT - No availability on IB....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Oct 22, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Availability gone by now
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I wonder if someone could help with that. Availability shows up every couple of days but no one in BA seems to know what to do... And to add insult to injury 30K Avios were deducted from my account but BA says they cannot see that my failed redemption (that for a couple of minutes was okay) is the reason for that. I did not attempt any other redemption so it is clearly because of this "glitch" in the system. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I didn't think you were able to book Avios tickets on codeshares?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Well, I think that's correct so why then does availability show up on BA.com? In fact also the agents in the call centre see it
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Is this an actual codeshare? Or is it LA operating the flight for AA (as American Eagle do)?

Availability does come up on codeshares, I've had two BA4xxx operated by IB booked over the phone by mistake in U, but it was always picked up and changed to the prime IB flight number by reissuing stage.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

You can see the screen shot above from the original post; it reads: Latam Airlines on Behalf of American Airlines. it is a LAN flight and I was able to book it with avios some two months ago under the LAN flight number.

There is some discrepency in the system that no one seems to understand....
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

At least I can report that I got the avios back from the first failed attempt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.