Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to make of this F menu??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That was the sort of menu I had for a daytime JFK-LHR about 18 months ago.

Given the flexibility of dine-on-demand, somehow that menu allowed me to cobble together a substantial second breakfast (after a first relatively light one in the CCR) and then a substantial lunch, followed by meek submission - well, I had to be polite, didn't I? - to the suggestion that I had to drink the entire (half) bottle of dessert wine because it would be a shame for it to go to waste.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That was the sort of menu I had for a daytime JFK-LHR about 18 months ago.

Given the flexibility of dine-on-demand, somehow that menu allowed me to cobble together a substantial second breakfast (after a first relatively light one in the CCR) and then a substantial lunch, followed by meek submission - well, I had to be polite, didn't I? - to the suggestion that I had to drink the entire (half) bottle of dessert wine because it would be a shame for it to go to waste.
Sounds like you were putty in their hands
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Philly Cheesesteak Panini is pretty low-brow, although I get the comfort food idea -- and it is a bid odd ex-JFK as New Yorkers don't have a lot of time for the city of brotherly love.

If there had been a cold, high-quality smoked salmon appetizer, that would have added a bit of luxury to the menu, or add a lobster and truffles option to the freshly made scrambled eggs.

Dover sole would also have been a high-end, but lighter main meal option.

The menu is a bit odd - the Chinese soup starter and lamb tandoori are both lunch or dinner items, yet are not what I would necessarily say are luxury nor comfort food.

Overall, it looks like a menu done with a calculator in one hand.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I try to avoid long haul flights that leave early AM as I dislike breakfast as a meal. Thus I looked with some trepidation at the menu you posted yet found what seemed to me to be a perfectly reasonable compromise for the different expectations that a day time eastbound trans-Atlantic might engender.

There are several threads on here discussing the merits of such services. Look them up and compare. I would link but am (a) incompetent and (b) tired and emotional.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:54 pm

The one thing that disappoints me is the word "or" on a first class menu.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:02 pm

I take it Newly Wed is also doing a Newly Wed Trip and F was part of it. I get the disappointment if this is their first First but at the end of the day its a plane in the air and the menu would be more than sufficient if quaffed down with some bubbly!

Enjoy the trip and don't get hung up on the minutiae!!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Wink

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
The one thing that disappoints me is the word "or" on a first class menu.
The 'or' can be ignored in First
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The 'or' can be ignored in First
Depends on the airline. CX, SQ, LH, LX, KE, JL seem to let you have anything you want. On JL once, I enjoyed one of the appetizers so much, they brought be two more, which I enjoyed instead of what I was going to have for my main. Last year in F on BA I wanted two appetizers instead of a main, and was told I needed to wait until everyone had ordered. She then came back a few minutes later and said no problem, but clearly she was concerned. This was on a 777 LHR-EWR and I think there were maybe six or seven pax in F, so fairly light load.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I disagree that "most" will eat in the CCR. One of the benefits of F is that one can arrive at JFK in fairly short order before the flight and for many that is as much of a "perk" as gorging yet again at the CCR.

But, if one does wish to arrive at the crack of dawn for a breakfast, that is one of the benefits of F. Just let the CC know and adjust your meal schedule accordingly.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't think spiced lamb with tandoori sauce with rice is particularly breakfast-like?

I wouldn't have a complaint about this menu. It's not the most interesting but it's quite OK.

The OP mentioned that he/she was expecting something more lunch-like and so it might meet that requirement along with a few other items? Not everything on the menu seems breakfast-like.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 22, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don't think spiced lamb with tandoori sauce with rice is particularly breakfast-like?
Nor a particularly high-brow F entree JFK-LHR, and alongside a Philly Cheesesteak.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Me either, but it's just a diverse menu to cater for those who've had breakfast / those who haven't; those that want to merge onto UK time / those that don't.

It's a decent menu. I'd be ok with it.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It looks pretty brunchy to me; a breakfast option, a couple of lunch options, and a couple of other things. Looks good, frankly I'd like that sort of menu on a lot of morning flights.

If I had filled up just before boarding, I would simply ask the crew to serve me a lunch option half way through the flight. If I had not had breakfast, I would ask for something after takeoff.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Nor a particularly high-brow F entree JFK-LHR, and alongside a Philly Cheesesteak.
Why does it need to be highbrow?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
It seems like for CX, JL, EK, EY, LH, LX, etc. even for long-haul flights that depart early, etc., there are still plentiful lunch/dinner type options, including luxury foods such as caviar and lobster.
On the other hand, BA are offering Balik salmon - which CX have recently stopped serving in F

At first I wondered if OP had stopped reading after the first page of the menu (which I would have found to be a disappointing offering), but once I finished all the other pages I thought that, though rather eclectic, it wasn't at all bad for a mid-haul flight

#firstworldfirstclassproblems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.