Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Meeting Arriving Flight Airside T5 - Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting Arriving Flight Airside T5 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
If you're determined to go ahead with this (and why not, I used to do it quite a lot back in prehistoric days in T4 and T1 - it's nice!) and you don't find an easy online source of arrival stand information, I recommend the following (on the assumption that staff might not want to encourage you to do what you're doing, and that therefore a bit of dissembly might be required).

Go airside to departures and, in the lounge, about half an hour from landing (flightradar etc) ask the people at the desk if they can tell you what gate your OH's inbound aircraft is arriving at. If they ask, tell them you'd like to go there (on the departures level) so that you can take a photo of his inbound aircraft arriving for him, and tell them you know about the tunnels so you're happy walking back from B or C.

Then, armed with this information, get down to the relevant arrivals level and wait for him, and hope that the stand doesn't change at the last minute (which is less likely if he's on time and the general operation is quite smooth that day). One additional challenge you have is that the B and C satellites don't have much in the way of windows on the arrivals level, so it might be a little tricky to check if/when the plane pulls up to the stand. Pray for an arrival somewhere near the middle so you can use the windows where the escalators and lifts are. For that matter, if it's the B satellite the connections staff there might have an appropriate set that will let them check if he's still meant to be arriving at the same stand, and/or if you see some Border Force personnel hanging around to check passports of arriving passengers you could ask them too.

Of course if it's a remote stand, then don't bother and just wait for him in the lounge (unless you were wanting to pop into town for the rst of the day, in which case wait for him in A arrivals just before/after the passport control!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
get down to the relevant arrivals level and wait for him,
And how would one do this?

[Yes it can be done, but if it's a C gate it will involve 3 transit trips].
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And how would one do this?

[Yes it can be done, but if it's a C gate it will involve 3 transit trips].
No-one said true love was easy!

But is it really three? Wouldn't you just take the train to C, stay on it until the doors opened on the arrivals side, and then step off and go up in the lift/stairs?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by evanderm
Thank you again for your suggestions and input!

He thinks I am arriving after him and doesn't know that I have changed to an earlier flight; so I want to catch him and surprise him by being there right when he gets off the plane before we go in to central London together. I arrive at 7:25 and he arrives at 09:50. For the time that I have to wait, I'd rather do it in comfort and have a bit of Breakfast in the Lounge (and maybe a shower), than sit in the FCC for that period of time.

If the flight arrives at a remote stand, or if I can't get the gate number, I'll try to meet him at the entrance to Fast Track Immigration, or at least somewhere where I know he will have to pass.
If your boyfirend thinks he's arriving BEFORE you then perhaps he's planning a surprise to meet you somewhere - please let us know what heppens on the day.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But as you're connecting on to an international destination, maybe he won't expect to be going through immigration at all? He might head straight for the Flight Connections area, which is on the opposite side of the immigration/connections hall. He might get nowhere near Fast Track immigration unless you give him specific instructions to do so, in which case you're close to ruining the surprise. The whole area is often heaving. You could easily completely miss him if he does something unexpected.
Originally Posted by babats
If your boyfirend thinks he's arriving BEFORE you then perhaps he's planning a surprise to meet you somewhere - please let us know what heppens on the day.
He knows we are meeting at LHR to go in to central London and he knows to go through immigration and not through flight connections. It's his first time outside of North America (let alone LHR T5) so as he is new to everything I can give him some very specific instructions on where to go. Right now the plan is that he will go to Costa Coffee at arrivals, load up on caffeine, and meet me off my original incoming flight (arr. 10:40). I would rather we have the extra time to explore London a bit, so I will drive to the airport at 4am, as opposed to 6am to catch my flight (oh the sacrifices we make).

I'll probably 'ruin' the surprise a little bit by sending him messages with picture clues as to my whereabouts so as to build some anticipation. He should get these when he turns on his phone after landing.

This all does beg a different question regarding immigration. I'm a UK/EU citizen and he is not. Can I join him in the fast track queue for non UK/EU if we are together, or do I have to go through the EU queue?

Last edited by evanderm; Sep 13, 2016 at 4:45 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Arriving back in arrivals by mistake , you could just go through flight connections again
But I assume that when they scan your boarding pass by connections, they'll see that you already went trough connections? But shouldn't make you probs.
This is most definitely something that gets flagged. When I arrived from CDG connecting to AMS somehow the flight connection system popped up I already passed them before. A few calls and 5 minutes later I was let in.

OT: This trip had the issue twice, first when I checked in at LHR to CDG a few days before the check in agent also had to do some typing to sort out my conformance. The CDG-LHR-AMS sector had the same issue at LHR.

Globalist
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globalist
This is most definitely something that gets flagged. When I arrived from CDG connecting to AMS somehow the flight connection system popped up I already passed them before. A few calls and 5 minutes later I was let in.

OT: This trip had the issue twice, first when I checked in at LHR to CDG a few days before the check in agent also had to do some typing to sort out my conformance. The CDG-LHR-AMS sector had the same issue at LHR.

Globalist
I will tell the lounge staff that I intend on going outside again. Hopefully they can remove the RtF/Conformance indicator. Failing that, I might have to call BA to cancel my check-in and then have them reissue a boarding pass either through the desks upstairs, or myself on the app.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by evanderm
I will tell the lounge staff that I intend on going outside again. Hopefully they can remove the RtF/Conformance indicator. Failing that, I might have to call BA to cancel my check-in and then have them reissue a boarding pass either through the desks upstairs, or myself on the app.
To do what you need to do, you need to use the (semi-illicit, at least unofficial) route of taking the transit to C and exiting. This is definitely not sanctioned by airport staff. So I would not recommend saying you are exiting, and instead dealing with the problem when you re-enter T5.

Possibly the bigger problem is that walking the wrong way down the Arrivals flow (or loitering for extended periods of time in that area) may eventually get you some attention of a security (or security-esque) nature - at the very least it's extremely odd.

I don't want to discourage you though. As someone who recently visited all four LHR terminals for one departure, you won't be the first to do odd things! ^
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:39 am
Original Poster

For anyone who was curious, Meeting the incoming flight was not difficult. I was able to get the arriving gate information from one of the lounge staff. She was also able to remove the conformance indicator from my boarding pass before I left the terminal. I decided I would stay on the transit train to backtrack back to A. My boyfriend's incoming flight arrived at a remote stand so I waited for him at the beginning of the immigration queue and quickly spotted him there.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:43 am

If I had just met my partner off a flight, I could think of more pleasant and romantic things to do with them then spend 11 hours in an airport.

Might I suggest that you will enjoy yourself more if you jump on a train to London or in a Cab to Windsor Castle or Saville Gardens. Get yourselves some fresh air and a decent meal.

Or if you need to rest there is always a hotel dayroom option.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim1975
If I had just met my partner off a flight, I could think of more pleasant and romantic things to do with them then spend 11 hours in an airport.

Might I suggest that you will enjoy yourself more if you jump on a train to London or in a Cab to Windsor Castle or Saville Gardens. Get yourselves some fresh air and a decent meal.

We certainly did not spend 11 hours at the airport. Took the HEX to Paddington and toured the sites from there.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Tim1975

Did you actually read any of this thread?!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Foltan
Did you actually read any of this thread?!
I was thinking the same thing, especially as there were pages asking how to meet from a flight, exit the terminal etc...

Anyway, glad it all worked out for the OP ^...hope you enjoyed London
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Yay re surprising him - glad it worked out.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chasingtheblue
Yay re surprising him - glad it worked out.
+1 - it is nice when these things do work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.