Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Redemption Cancellation

Previously when cancelling a redemption, The booking has been immediately removed from my BAEC and Avios returned

On cancelation of a flight for Monday just now, I have received an email stating-

British Airways booking reference:xxxxxx
We have received your information and are currently processing your refund.

We will refund any money owed to the card used to make the
booking and we will send you a confirmation email when it's been
done.
Is this the new world (then again I don't think I've cancelled anything in about 3 years!) or is it because the booking is only 5-6 days away?

If anyone has any experience, do they know when things may clear?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's close to departure, and/or there is non BA metal, then it may take a while for the money and Avios to come back. If you cancelled by telephone then often the Avios come back fairly quickly (a day or two). If you see a detailed quote on cash/Avios then it is normally immediate.

I don't think there have been any changes in this area recently.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's close to departure, and/or there is non BA metal, then it may take a while for the money and Avios to come back. If you cancelled by telephone then often the Avios come back fairly quickly (a day or two). If you see a detailed quote on cash/Avios then it is normally immediate.

I don't think there have been any changes in this area recently.
Thanks,

It's a single flight on BA, originally due to fly on Monday.

I'd already rebooked on another flight on the same day so not sure if that causes any complexity.

There was no detail on what would come back in the email

Otherwise I'm in no rush to get cash/ Avios back but just want to be sure it is cancelled!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
There are a whole lot of inexplicable reasons why a refund may need to be processed manually. This e-mail is nothing more than a confirmation that there is such a reason in your case. It is absolutely nothing to worry about , although the refund may take a little time to process
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Even if you see the booking in the MMB it does not necessarily mean that it is not canceled. BA does internal audit of bookings and they're kept (sometimes with a new random destination/date) until the date of departure usually.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
There are a whole lot of inexplicable reasons why a refund may need to be processed manually. This e-mail is nothing more than a confirmation that there is such a reason in your case. It is absolutely nothing to worry about , although the refund may take a little time to process
Thanks, as I say my only worry is Ill turn up at LHR and they'll tell me I still have two bookings!

At which point I suspect it would be a huge pain to get the Avios and cash back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.