Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clubworld vs First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Clubworld vs First

What are the primary differences between Clubworld and First on BA?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dashboard.html

This will tell you almost everything

See post#2 on the dashboard

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2016 at 11:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts with same link
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
In addition, have a look at the information that describes the two cabin features and services on BA.com
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
In my limited experience of both, here are the biggest differences for me:

* The seat / bed: In First, I found it was more of a "proper" sleeping experience, with the "bed" being longer and wider than in CW and with the addition of a mattress, better quilt and better pillow, plus pyjamas and slippers provided. I also felt we got longer sleeping time in First because dinner service is over faster and breakfast service can start later due to fewer passengers to serve.

* Privacy: although CW window and middle seats are very private when the screens are up, it is still quite a busy cabin, relatively speaking, and you have that awkward time facing your neighbour during take-off and landing, plus the stepping over of people to get to the aisle in many seats. In First, I felt the seats were extremely private, with high walls, nobody next to you or close by and an almost complete lack of awareness of others around you unless you purposely stand up and walk around to look or unless they are making noise of some kind. Of course, direct aisle access for everyone too.

* Dining: I didn't find the food in First to be that much better or different than in CW, but again, like the "bed", the dining experience as a whole is a notch up in terms of feeling like being in a restaurant, with dressed table, table settings, etc. And, of course, you can choose to eat when you want in First.

* Space: Obviously the First seat is a lot more spacious than the CW seat, and the attached wardrobe is great for hanging clothes and storing things for easy access rather than having to fumble about in overhead bins. Plenty of space around the seat itself too for storing gadgets, reading materials and the like.

* Toilets: Sadly, the A380 upper deck CW toilets beat the First toilets hands down, the First toilets are really no different to others on the plane. Maybe one difference, however, is that they tend to keep cleaner during the flight and are almost always available when you need them due to less passengers using them overall.

* Service: I found on First that the crew tend to "notice" what you need more and are more pro-active in providing it, like more nuts, drink top-up, knowing when to make or clear the bedding, etc.

* CW Kitchen: doesn't exist in First, so no snacking unless you bring your own.

* Concorde Room: a truly lovely place to spend time waiting for your flight in LHR, like a little oasis, I loved the time I spent on the terrace after a refreshing shower and it didn't feel crowded. The CW lounges are fine but can get crowded, with limited food and drink options too.

I wouldn't say First is streets ahead of CW but it has a lot of little refinements that add up to an overall better experience than CW in many ways. I think the seat / amount of space and room are the biggest selling factors for me as quite a tall guy.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by pollycat
I haven't been hungry the handful of times that I've flown First, usually due to eating in the CCR and then eating again on board. But I sort of always assumed that it was okay to use the CW Kitchen whilst flying First. Is that not the case?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
* Toilets: Sadly, the A380 upper deck CW toilets beat the First toilets hands down, the First toilets are really no different to others on the plane. Maybe one difference, however, is that they tend to keep cleaner during the flight and are almost always available when you need them due to less passengers using them overall.

* Service: I found on First that the crew tend to "notice" what you need more and are more pro-active in providing it, like more nuts, drink top-up, knowing when to make or clear the bedding, etc.

If you want to change into/out of the sleeper suit, the crew have never had an issue with me popping upstairs to use the larger lavatories to do so. Something to keep in mind if you want more space to change. ^

I agree fully regarding the service, it is much more attentive and proactive and personal. Definitely a noticeable difference between CW and F in this regard. Of course YMMV if you happen to catch a crew on an off day.

Regarding the Club Kitchen, you can use it as a First passenger. I don't use it often, but whenever I have, it has never been an issue with the CC. If you ask, the CC might even proactively offer to bring you what you're looking for.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
On the Kitchen - yes, definitely available. Crew will often offer to get it for you, I personally always decline, as fancy a walk.

Can be a little awkward on the 747 if its the set up where its First, WTP, then club, so you kind of appear from the WTP section to raid the kitchen. Be sure to wear your Pyjamas and slippers, maybe even wave a bag tag to prove you 'belong'
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
Originally Posted by bermyandy
On the Kitchen - yes, definitely available. Crew will often offer to get it for you, I personally always decline, as fancy a walk.

Can be a little awkward on the 747 if its the set up where its First, WTP, then club, so you kind of appear from the WTP section to raid the kitchen. Be sure to wear your Pyjamas and slippers, maybe even wave a bag tag to prove you 'belong'
Where is the CW Kitchen on the A380? Between First and CW?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Much better service
Much better food (in the main)
Much better seat
Far more flexibility in service and freedom in the cabin
Much better lounge (at LHR)
The General feeling of space (less so on 747)

All of the above are less of a factor on night flights (bar perhaps the seat)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR

* Concorde Room: a truly lovely place to spend time waiting for your flight in LHR, like a little oasis, I loved the time I spent on the terrace after a refreshing shower and it didn't feel crowded. The CW lounges are fine but can get crowded, with limited food and drink options too.

The cocktail bar in the Concorde Room... happy memories of the espresso martinis
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
The cocktail bar in the Concorde Room... happy memories of the espresso martinis
You remember..?

You weren't trying hard enough..
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
You remember..?

You weren't trying hard enough..
I remember the martinis and the pink champagne but the daiquiris and the raspberry thingies are a bit fuzzy... I promise to try harder next time!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
I thought that was an excellent comparison pollycat. WD
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for these details

* The seat / bed: In First, I found it was more of a "proper" sleeping experience, with the "bed" being longer and wider than in CW and with the addition of a mattress, better quilt and better pillow, plus pyjamas and slippers provided. I also felt we got longer sleeping time in First because dinner service is over faster and breakfast service can start later due to fewer passengers to serve.

* Privacy: although CW window and middle seats are very private when the screens are up, it is still quite a busy cabin, relatively speaking, and you have that awkward time facing your neighbour during take-off and landing, plus the stepping over of people to get to the aisle in many seats. In First, I felt the seats were extremely private, with high walls, nobody next to you or close by and an almost complete lack of awareness of others around you unless you purposely stand up and walk around to look or unless they are making noise of some kind. Of course, direct aisle access for everyone too.

* Dining: I didn't find the food in First to be that much better or different than in CW, but again, like the "bed", the dining experience as a whole is a notch up in terms of feeling like being in a restaurant, with dressed table, table settings, etc. And, of course, you can choose to eat when you want in First.

* Space: Obviously the First seat is a lot more spacious than the CW seat, and the attached wardrobe is great for hanging clothes and storing things for easy access rather than having to fumble about in overhead bins. Plenty of space around the seat itself too for storing gadgets, reading materials and the like.

I wouldn't say First is streets ahead of CW but it has a lot of little refinements that add up to an overall better experience than CW in many ways. I think the seat / amount of space and room are the biggest selling factors for me as quite a tall guy.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by AndyHall
Where is the CW Kitchen on the A380? Between First and CW?
Hi,

On the Upper Deck of the CW on the A380 the club kitchen is between the 2 CW cabins ( ie by the boarding door)

There will be one on the main deck but have not been in CW on the main deck so cannot tell you where it is. Sorry

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.