Search

Changing my outbound flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Changing my outbound flight

Hello All

I am looking to change the date and departure location on my outbound journey. I have completed the inbound. I am booked in World Traveller, and my flight goes from HOU-LHR-LGW-JER all on the same ticket.

I looked online to change it, and all I could change were the date & time for £150.

Does BA allow you to change the outbound departure point with these tickets? And if they do, would I have to pay another fee on top of the date change fee? I'm afraid I don't know the fare class.

Hope you can help. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:25 pm

I think you're confusing your terms. You've flown the outbound; you want to change the inbound.

You should be able to make the change but you'll need to pay both the £150 change fee and any difference in fare to the routing you want to take. This could be expensive - it all depends on the exact details of what you had booked and what you now want.

You'll need to call BA to do this.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that, sorry about mixing the terms - one of those days!!!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You should be able to make the change but you'll need to pay both the £150 change fee and any difference in fare to the routing you want to take.
A small point but while it is indeed possible on many cases, only to the extent that the OP wants to change to a return from a place named as compatible for half-returns pricing in the fare rules (often in the same zone).

So typically, on many restricted tickets, changing to IAH-JER // LHR-IAH or IAH-JER // AMS-LHR will be fine, trying to change to IAH-JER // SIN-IAH may not be.

And to reemphasis Ldnn1's excellent answer, only date/time changes can be handled online, anything else (itinerary notably but also regular fare upgrade, etc) can only be done via the call centre or in person. The booking fee (not the change fee) is normally waived for anything that could not be done online but it is sometimes worth checking with the agent you speak to that they have indeed waived the charge.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Ok, I Phoned the lovely people at BA , and spoke to a nice English girl.

She told me the the pricing of flying out of a different city - it will cost about £300 to change with the price increase and change fee if I worked it out correctly. This is how I worked it out:

Original RT ticket price was £563
Half of the RT would have been £281.5
New fare back to JER - single £422
Change fee £150
Fare difference £140.5

422-281.5=£140.5+£150 CF=£290 new cost to fly back to the UK? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apologies for being thick, but where is OP right now ? If in Houston, then I imagine leaving the original itinerary unchanged and simply failing to male their way to LGW would domthe trick ?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not quite but looks like you came close. BA compare original RT with new RT. They wouldn't take half of the original and compare against a new single - they backdate and quote the whole itin as if you had bought it that way from the start. Usually works in your favour, but can be worth comparing with a new oneway yourself to see whether to change or start over.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Fitch
Apologies for being thick, but where is OP right now ? If in Houston, then I imagine leaving the original itinerary unchanged and simply failing to male their way to LGW would domthe trick ?
The way I read it, they're in HOU but want to depart out of somewhere else, still returning to JER. Doesn't sound like they're looking to drop the LGW-JER.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Hi All, I just want to clarify, I am currently East Coast, and I am looking to depart from Boston as that is the closest major international airport for me.

I am still wanting to keep my JER connection.

JAXBA, they priced up a return half for me to go back to the UK through Boston. So am I missing something?

Last edited by RJD1983; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by RJD1983
So am I missing something?
Only the method

Fares aren't calculated as JER-IAH + BOS-JER, but JER-IAH + JER-BOS. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's just how it works.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

So they are basing it upon where I started from then?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:30 pm

So they are basing it upon where I started from then?
Correct - they are giving you half a return fare from JER-IAH, and half a return fare from JER-BOS, because your ticket started in JER.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:53 pm

Yep !
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

So I looked into this further as I still had some queries over the price differences. The price they quoted me was in addition to the amount I had already paid them, so I don't deduct anything.

They also said I would have to pay an extra £30 service fee for changing the flight, because I'm doing it offline. I said that I can't change the airport online, shouldn't the fee be waived, the gent said no, as you're doing a different routing.

So the price to fly from BOS-LHR-JER is almost £400, includes all fees and price difference.

Now if I fly from IAH, I would have to fly 4-5 hours to get there, pay $250 in flight costs, and accommodation. That's about £190. Is it worth all the hassle of £200 to fly backwards, to fly forwards?

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:16 pm

Now if I fly from IAH, I would have to fly 4-5 hours to get there, pay $250 in flight costs, and accommodation. That's about £190. Is it worth all the hassle of £200 to fly backwards, to fly forwards?
That's really a question for you rather than anyone else...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.