Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Transfer on 23 Hour PNR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Luggage Transfer on 23 Hour PNR?

I have a BA to LHR, LHR to JFK on AA flight coming up next week. There's an actual difference of around 20 hours between arrival in LHR and departure the next day.

Will BA check my bag through to JFK or will they make me pick it up in T5, and lug it all over London? Are the lockers an option?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's the same PNR and the scheduled timetable suggests under 24 hours at LHR then they should offer to through check it for you to New York. There are no lockers in LHR but there is a shop which for a fee will look after your bags. In T5 it's on the Arrivals level landside by Marks and Spencer.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Yes they will check it through. Normally an airline would want to divest itself of connecting luggage as soon as possible to the next airline, but in this case of a T5 to BA or AA T3 connection then the bag will normally be kept overnight in T5 bag store as it's much bigger and automated, and then sent over to T3 the next day.

I recently did MAD-FRA-LHR-MIA (LA-BA-AA) and wasn't sure that the bag had made the connection in FRA, but on arrival at LHR by the time I got through immigration the BA staff in the bag hall could see that the bag had made it, had been offloaded and was already in the T5 bag store ready to go to AA the next day, which it did no problems. Just make sure you give AA the BA tag when you do your doc check with them at T3.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
Yes they will check it through. Normally an airline would want to divest itself of connecting luggage as soon as possible to the next airline, but in this case of a T5 to BA or AA T3 connection then the bag will normally be kept overnight in T5 bag store as it's much bigger and automated, and then sent over to T3 the next day.
What about the reverse - arriving at T3 and then departing T5 the next morning? BA to BA.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's the same PNR and the scheduled timetable suggests under 24 hours at LHR then they should offer to through check it for you to New York. There are no lockers in LHR but there is a shop which for a fee will look after your bags. In T5 it's on the Arrivals level landside by Marks and Spencer.
Thanks for the response..
I get in to t5 BA at around 8PM and leave t3 (aa) at around 730 pm the next day.. so its borderline but should be completely legal.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Is it also possible to collect bags for an overnight at LHR on a DUB - LHR - MIA?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Is it also possible to collect bags for an overnight at LHR on a DUB - LHR - MIA?
Yes, if on one PNR. That's a T5 to T3 transfer, and the T3 warehouse is not as automated as T5, but otherwise it's the same process. You can either collect if overnighting, or through check in that direction. In the reverse direction it should go to DUB only. And always good to check in the lounge or the gate at T3 that all is well in terms of baggage loading.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Thank you C-W-S for your helpful advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.