Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA1402 Fri 24 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

BA1402 Fri 24 June

Was there anyone on the above delayed flight from LHR to Man???? My sister was delayed over 4 hours, and wondered if she was eligible to claim under the EU 261/2004 ruling??

Thanks

Maureen
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Was there a reason given for your delay?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's almost definitely due to the thunderstorms & or ATC strike in France? In which case neither would get compensation
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Unfortunately, on this occasion even knowing the route as well as the flight number aren't enough to allow us to guess.

The easily available delay information has now become inaccessible through ExpertFlyer because the flight was so long ago. However, at least we can use the flight number to look up what is still available. STD 1810, STA 1910; ATD 2221, ATA 2323 - ie this was probably a flight that was caught up in the late Friday afternoon systems problems at LHR.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My sister said that there were all sorts of problems!!The electronic systems werent working and the gates had to be assigned manually, All instructions were shouted out as there were no tanoys working! The were assigned one gate and then given another!! There was also a shortage of staff! The electronic check in was also not working !! and when they eventually boarded, the captain made an announcement that they had to wait a little while longer as the workers who pulled them from the gate were changing shifts!!! My sister was very accepting of the delays unlike quite a few irate passengers!!! She said there is no point getting worked up as there is absolutely nothing you can do about it!!

Is she however entitled to claim any flight delay compensation as it was a uk internal flight???

Thanks again for all the information.

Maureen
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

So Is my sister entitled to claim for this delay??? How does she go about making a claim??

Thanks again

Maureen
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jimmymcs
So Is my sister entitled to claim for this delay??? How does she go about making a claim??

Thanks again

Maureen
Have a read of this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html

Here is the form https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Whether she would get it depends on the reason for the delay. There are comments on the linked thread which describe how much of a delay is needed before EC261 is applicable, and what reasons may lead to a rejection.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by jimmymcs
Thanks for the replies. My sister said that there were all sorts of problems!!The electronic systems werent working and the gates had to be assigned manually, All instructions were shouted out as there were no tanoys working! The were assigned one gate and then given another!! There was also a shortage of staff! The electronic check in was also not working !! and when they eventually boarded, the captain made an announcement that they had to wait a little while longer as the workers who pulled them from the gate were changing shifts!!! My sister was very accepting of the delays unlike quite a few irate passengers!!! She said there is no point getting worked up as there is absolutely nothing you can do about it!!

Is she however entitled to claim any flight delay compensation as it was a uk internal flight???

Thanks again for all the information.

Maureen
Well that doesn't account for four hours of delay. Almost certainly the root cause was due to ATC or weather, so no entitlement to compensation, but perhaps someone can confirm?

The fact that it was a domestic flight wouldn't, on its own, preclude compensation.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
Well that doesn't account for four hours of delay. Almost certainly the root cause was due to ATC or weather, so no entitlement to compensation, but perhaps someone can confirm?

The fact that it was a domestic flight wouldn't, on its own, preclude compensation.
I think the French ATC was the day before, but on Friday there was a lot of disruption due to bad weather. I would agree weather is probably the root cause, but the OP may as well try.

See here for references to the bad weather across Thursday-Saturday that week
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7102966.html

Quite a few flights were cancelled that day
http://www.thebasource.com/240616-br...cancellations/
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Just had confirmation from BA that they are paying my claim for a 3 hour 2 min delay that day to Glasgow. Don't be put off by the weather and ATC arguments they are spurious and my flight captain made same claim. BA suffered multiple system failures affecting gate allocation, staff resource allocation and checkin and boarding systems. These are all within their control.
They have replied to me in 6 days accepting responsibility.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:54 am

Hi Maureen, I was on the flight and have applied for compensation. The disruption was caused by computer errors at Heathrow that were compounded by inadequate staffing to cope with the delays.

In addition, due to the chaos and breakdown in communication, BA failed to provide food and refreshment vouchers to passengers as required by the regulation. Good luck with the claim!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.