Search

1st First and finally using a 2-4-1!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
1st First and finally using a 2-4-1!

Hi all

Apologies for a post that most could probably not care less about but I am so excited and just wanted to be liberal in outpouring my thanks to BAEC FT for opening my eyes to a whole new (very addictive!) world!

I have just booked for next May to go with Mrs A406 for our 10th wedding anniversary to LAS and LAX, using a 2-4-1:

LHR-LAS in F
LAX-LHR in J

147,500 and £1,038

A few reasons for the unbridled excitement:

- This is our 1st First
- We would never have been able to afford this under normal circumstances. The value for money is just insane
- I have never managed to successfully utilise the Amex 2-4-1 for l/h premium travel despite earning one every year

The idea is we will spend 3 or 4 days in LAS and then the same in Los Angeles. We have never been to either before. I grabbed the availability I could find. For a couple of reasons we needed it also to be LAS before LAX.

I guess the only extremely mild dampener on all this is that I guess this will not be our time to sample the CCR as we will be flying out of T3 . Of course if there is a way of somehow transiting between terminals please let me know!

Again, apologies for the gratuitous post and do not feel obliged to reply/ comment but I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your collective wisdom ^^^

A406
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Enjoy, we're signed up for our 2nd 2-4-1 1st. Except this is a 2.5-4-1 as the family has grown.
There is a thread that details all the things available in 1st to take advantage of that i'm sure others can point you in the direction of.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Wow well done A406toHeathrow that is great news it is absolutely fantastic flying F to LAS. You can get sloshed (if that's your thing!) on the flight, get a decent sleep and you'll be through immigration front of the line (well after WT+!!) and in your hotel within 45 mins. Clock back 8 hours and a whole night ahead of you! Are you on the new early arrival flight or the 19.00hrs? Also, I know it's like hens teeth, but do keep an eye on F for the LAX-LHR
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Wow well done A406toHeathrow that is great news it is absolutely fantastic flying F to LAS. You can get sloshed (if that's your thing!) on the flight, get a decent sleep and you'll be through immigration front of the line (well after WT+!!) and in your hotel within 45 mins. Clock back 8 hours and a whole night ahead of you! Are you on the new early arrival flight or the 19.00hrs? Also, I know it's like hens teeth, but do keep an eye on F for the LAX-LHR
We are on the 16:40 - arrives 19:20 in LAS

It's a B747 so not the newest product but still buzzing
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
congrats, just receive my 241 voucher today.

Hopefully will do NYC in Feb, F out J back.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Good for you, I hope you have a great time!

If you want to add to your aviation, go on a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon (I recommend Maverick Helicopters).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
Hi all

Apologies for a post that most could probably not care less about but I am so excited and just wanted to be liberal in outpouring my thanks to BAEC FT for opening my eyes to a whole new (very addictive!) world!

I have just booked for next May to go with Mrs A406 for our 10th wedding anniversary to LAS and LAX, using a 2-4-1:

LHR-LAS in F
LAX-LHR in J

147,500 and £1,038

- This is our 1st First
- We would never have been able to afford this under normal circumstances. The value for money is just insane
- I have never managed to successfully utilise the Amex 2-4-1 for l/h premium travel despite earning one every year

The idea is we will spend 3 or 4 days in LAS and then the same in Los Angeles. We have never been to either before. I grabbed the availability I could find. For a couple of reasons we needed it also to be LAS before LAX.

I guess the only extremely mild dampener on all this is that I guess this will not be our time to sample the CCR as we will be flying out of T3 . Of course if there is a way of somehow transiting between terminals please let me know!

Again, apologies for the gratuitous post and do not feel obliged to reply/ comment but I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your collective wisdom ^^^

A406
Have a great time!

And when the cab driver at LAS asks if you want to go via the freeway, I would advise you say 'no thanks'...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just noticed it is your first time in Vegas. Have a look on the Vegas forum here on FT; lots of interesting information. If you fancy a treat after First you can pre arrange a stretch Limo from the airport for £100. It's not great value for two as is quite a quick journey. If not, use Uber which seems to operate normally now at LAS; despite 20 or so visits to LAS I've been ripped off by the cab drivers on occasion, and being too tired / British to moan put up and tend to grunt at the driver!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Hi all

Apologies ........
I see no need for an apology. Firstly it's great to see such enthusiasm. Secondly it's good for everyone to see that availability does exist. Thirdly it reminds me of my first 2-4-1 F with Mrs BF.

Feel free to do a trip report and let us all know what you thought.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:59 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Go see the Cirque De Soleil show called The Beatles Love @ the Mirage. It is well worth the cost of entry.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Nice

I did have my first first booked using a 2-4-1 (to St Lucia) but an impending exam meant I had to cancel.

It's now Biz to Costa Rica instead
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I understand and share your excitement (I'm flying in F for the first time too later this year) I hope you both have a great time!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Just noticed it is your first time in Vegas. Have a look on the Vegas forum here on FT; lots of interesting information. If you fancy a treat after First you can pre arrange a stretch Limo from the airport for £100
We have just come back from Vegas and had prebooked a limo cost was £65,it was well worth it for a treat,driver also took us to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign and we got out and took some pictures.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Avis Presidents Club, Majestic Platinum*
Congrats on being able to finally use the 241!

Agree the value is fantastic and regularly use them and never have too much trouble if you can be flexible a bit on dates or destination ( e.g. ATL usually has great redemption space and is a good hub for onward travel )

Enjoy Vegas - just booked using a GUF2 to go back in March - would heartily recommend Penn & Teller show at the Rio if some magic and heavy sarcasm is your thing,

Hi all

LHR-LAS in F
LAX-LHR in J

147,500 and £1,038

- This is our 1st First

A406
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Congratulations

I've also managed to get our first First using a 241 (first year trying too!), out LHR - LAS, in SJC-LHR will be interesting to compare the classic 747 vs brand new 789. However I also had your moment of slight deflation when I realised it departed T3 so no CCR. However going from flying normally at the back of the bus, and my most extravagant flight to date being Thomson Holidays Premium Economy to Cancun pretty sure I'll still be more than happy with the Flounge and maybe it'll be easier to get a spa treatment prebooked with fewer First-class passengers departing T3?

Our trip started WT+ out to SJC, back in CW and I thought I'd achieved the impossible (could never afford/justify cash J fares) but I kept lurking on ba.com and checking every now and then for F from SFO, SJC, SAN, LAX or LAS and by slightly changing the dates First availability had luckily opened up! Even the £35 ticket change fee was worth it rather than paying (*cough* being robbed by BA for *cough*) £68 each to select a seat in CW and £38 in WT+ as we don't have status and my dear other half can't face the prospect of not knowing which seat he'll be in.

If there's availability from SFO, SAN or SJC for your way back you can get some very reasonably priced domestic connections up the west coast, we're flying AA first from LAS to LAX for £112 each (need the extra luggage because I'm damned if I'm flying out BA first fretting about keeping my bag under 18kg or whatever the stupid standard limit is on a domestic flight) and if it's a special occasion may be worth the extra 20k avios if you've got them!

Last edited by xtommox; Jun 1, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.