Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 3 hour check in rule

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 11:12 am

I was, fortunately, allowed to check in at 3hr15min last time but otherwise would have just had to wait. For that journey it was a choice between leaving when I did and having a 45 minute journey or leaving 1/2 hour later and having a journey of between an hour or hour and a half (assuming no major issues on M25 to cause additional delay) risking being late. I decided that I would prefer hanging around the airport to stressing in a traffic jam! Next time my flight is at a better time so I can just leave later.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
What airports don't open check in until 90 minutes prior except maybe some very small out stations or very early in the morning? I've never seen anything under 120 minutes
It's a long list! Many of the Greek, Spanish, French and Italian airports are like this. In the case of places like JMK, JTR, KGS, RHO they don't necessarily open security and/or Ex Schengen checks until an hour before departure. Many of these are indeed small, but not all of them. Moreover when advertised as 2 hours, they may not be in full swing for a good 15 minute thereafter (LED, ALG, RAK springs to mind).
Old May 28, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
you need to be able to truthfully say that you packed it yourself and haven't been given anything to check in onboard
Is that so? It's been a couple of years since I did it, but I have on occasion checked in something packed by someone else, and I've just answered that I didn't pack it. The agent told me that it would be marked it for special screening and that was it.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Checking in at BOS (Boston) for BA214 one sunny afternoon* I was asked the has the bag been in your possession the whole time question. The nice girl looked a bit shocked when I said "No" and a bit more relaxed when I said I checked it in on 9K (Cape Air) at ACK (Nantucket) and they had it for the duration of the flight. She said that didn't count as it had been in a secure area or on a plane during that time.

*I then went to the Flounge and watched the whole game Red Sox vs the White Sox live from U.S. Cellular Field. Perfect afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.