Tried

Last edited by cmjaffe; May 5, 2016 at 6:16 am Reason: sent in error
Old May 5, 2016, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Tried a search with little luck.
My elderly aunt just passed away
She had a substantial # of avios points in her account as well as combined in our family account. What happens to her points now? Would they still be available until expiry. Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really hope the points are not lost. Hope to possibly use them to fly family in for funeral.

Tia
Sorry to hear that. The answer is not what you want to hear.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

3.12.2. upon the death of a Member, Avios points, Tier Points and Lifetime Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Whilst it's not what the rules say, there's nothing to stop you not telling BA about the death and simply leaving the account open and gradually using the miles.

Sorry for your loss.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family Long Life, and Strength during this difficult time.

As has been pointed out, the Avios will disappear when you advise BA of the loss of your Aunt.

However, as has also been advised, you could 'illegally' use the Avios before advising BA. I would not encourage this behaviour, but I understand it does happen.

My own advice - ask the Mods to remove your Post (as there are BA reps on FT who may not take too kindly to some of the advice)!

Best,

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; May 5, 2016 at 6:45 am
Old May 5, 2016, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as you keep her in your HHA no rules will be broken if you continue to use the HHA Avios balance.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
It's a shame that you can't perhaps gift the miles like some other airlines do.

Also, even if you start trying to use up her Avios, since it's in a family account it will take them in proportion to the others in the account. At least that's what's happened when I've redeemed recently. Ie if her account holds 1/3 of the points in the then they will only take 1/3 of the required points from there so you will always be trying to wind down the account. You could remove everyone else from the family account and then put them back in when you've used up her balance.

I thought some other airlines had brought in the right to leave points in your will?
Old May 5, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
She will no longer acquire TP's as you need to fly in the seat for that, so her status with the airline will gradually decline. As presumably will her avois balance as she continues to be fondly remembered for the gifts she continues to give to her family group?
Old May 5, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As long as you keep her in your HHA no rules will be broken if you continue to use the HHA Avios balance.
Oh I think rules would be broken.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I remember that the previous BA Official Rep (Nikki) used to offer to help in this situation, and that BA are actually fairly agreeable about moving the Avios to a different account (especially if part of a HHA) so it may be worth PM-ing the BA Rep about this (perhaps without giving too much info away in the first instance). My stepmother contacted BA directly following the death of her then husband and they transferred his Avios across to her account - although they were under no obligation to do so. I know someone else who just didn't close her husband's account when he died and has been spending the Avios since through their HHA. I would go with whichever option you are most comfortable with - risk vs honesty I guess.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Oh I think rules would be broken.
Which ones?

I'd just be keeping quiet as there's no obligation to inform BA.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by dddc
It's a shame that you can't perhaps gift the miles like some other airlines do.

Also, even if you start trying to use up her Avios, since it's in a family account it will take them in proportion to the others in the account. At least that's what's happened when I've redeemed recently. Ie if her account holds 1/3 of the points in the then they will only take 1/3 of the required points from there so you will always be trying to wind down the account. You could remove everyone else from the family account and then put them back in when you've used up her balance.

I thought some other airlines had brought in the right to leave points in your will?
correct. But what is the hurry to use her Avios and remove her from the HHA? I would just keep everything exactly as they are. Unless someone is going to say that your Aunt's Avios will expire if she doesn't earn some fresh ones.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Which ones?

I'd just be keeping quiet as there's no obligation to inform BA.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

3.12. Membership will terminate automatically:

3.12.2. upon the death of a Member, Avios points, Tier Points and Lifetime Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.
Therefore the OP's relative is no longer a member of BAEC regardless of whether you have actually informed them. Under 15 members can redeem avios, but there is no member now.

I think the definition of "fraud" covers it quite well - includes fraud, dishonesty and deceit. You don't think continuing to impersonate someone who is no longer a member isn't a problem?

Bear in mind that I am not advocating a course of action here, just setting out the rules. Clearly some do take the risk and continue spending the avios, and some don't. I do quite like cosmo74's suggestion though and if I were ever in this situation I think that is what I would do.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think for the vast majority of people, reporting the death of a relative to BAEC is pretty far down the list of things to do. The Avios will remain in the HHA and they'll get used, eventually. I'll wager that few people would even make the association that some of the HHA Avios are improperly there.

Tempest in a teacup.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think for the vast majority of people, reporting the death of a relative to BAEC is pretty far down the list of things to do. The Avios will remain in the HHA and they'll get used, eventually. I'll wager that few people would even make the association that some of the HHA Avios are improperly there.

Tempest in a teacup.
I would agree, and no doubt it happens just as you suggest in many cases.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Therefore the OP's relative is no longer a member of BAEC regardless of whether you have actually informed them. Under 15 members can redeem avios, but there is no member now.
Remember though that the traveller would be redeeming from their own account - and it is BA that is not following 3.12.2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.