Search

Rant: Exit row and safety briefings

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 4:55 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Rant: Exit row and safety briefings

I sat in the aisle seat of the exit row of a short haul A319 today. The passengers in the window seats both had headphones on; one I could not tell what he was doing but the chap near me was intently watching a movie. They did nod when the CC did the ‘seat back notice’ briefing, but when the main safety briefing ran, they paid no attention and did not remove their headphones.

I think this is selfish, and disrespectful to the CC and to other passengers. I wonder why the CC don’t say something to them? (This comes from someone who was told off on Easy Jet for talking during the briefing, and I was not in the exit row). I also do not see the point of having an announcement on the audio asking people to remove personal headphones; how can they hear it??

I resorted to Twitter and had this interaction:

Me @British_Airways Sitting in exit row aisle seat. Both window seats occupied by passengers with headphones on during safety briefing. #safe?

British Airways We understand your concern, XXXX, however we can't force passengers to listen to the safety briefs. It may be that they're ½
British Airways very frequent travellers with us, therefore feel confident of the procedures in the event of an emergency. 2/2

Me They should be asked by the crew to remove their headphones for the briefing IMHO, individually and directly.

British Airways Hi XXXX. we do advise passengers follow the safety briefing and make themselves familiar with the procedure. Other than that 1/2
British Airways This is not something we can enforce. 2/2

I must admit to being ‘ever so slightly disappointed’ in this interaction. I realise that the people in the social media side are probably not trained CC, but they are the public face of BA, and to appear to take such a cavalier attitude to safely is not good in my opinion.

So, am I over-reacting and/or being too sensitive?
Old May 4, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
The response you got is not an opinion. They cannot make any passenger watch the safety briefing. Even if they tried to enforce it and the request was ignored. What next?

Delay the flight and eject the passenger? with the added costs of compensation to that ejected passenger?

Not sure what more you want? BA can't change the regulations.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
It's more an issue for the passengers themselves really, isn't it? Did you ask the CC to say anything to those two passengers?

Not sure what else BA could have said in their replies to you on Twitter unfortunately.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC
They can't force them to listen but they could remove them from the exit row if they don't feel that they understand what is required of them? Sure fire way to make your GCH's unhappy (since they struggled to book exit rows in the first place!!).

When flying QF in an exit row recently, we were sat down before the briefing and asked to read over a card to make sure we understood out "duties", should we be needed.

Last edited by mrvincent; May 4, 2016 at 5:34 am
Old May 4, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I've on occasion not even been given a briefing.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:32 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I recall I started a thread on here when I was flying in CE and had my headphones in throughout the safety briefing. I was then subsequently ignored by the CC member throughout meal service until I asked her if I was going to be catered for that evening.

The responses were quite eye opening from people on here. I was called selfish and disrespectful and god knows what else.

If it was of UPMOST safety importance it would be compulsory to listen. As such, people with far greater knowledge of the airline industry and its safety have deemed it not to be and I'll trust them more than an OP/Forum warrior with a chip on their shoulder.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I can totally understand the OP's grievance that somebody in an exit row pays no attention to the safety briefing. It seems willfully selfish and irresponsible.

On the other hand, I can recite both of BA's recorded and 'live' briefings from memory so would be a bit peeved if someone actually had a go at me for 'not paying attention'.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
The request should be made twice via PA - once by the SCCM saying "we are about to [interrupt the highlife entertainment to] brief you on the safety procedures on this aircraft. We recommend that you remove your personal headphones until the end of the briefing. All hand held..."

Then on the safety vid itself "we recommend you remove your personal headphones".

I guess therefore it's not a safety requirement such as no laptops during takeoff, just a suggestion like keeping seat belts fastened at all times whilst seated. On Qantas it is mandatory to keep seat belts on at all times whilst seated. Just a different approach.

I agree it's not just about that passenger's safety, but everyone's safety - especially in an exit row!
Old May 4, 2016, 5:40 am

Isn't the safety briefing audible anyway through the headphones?
Old May 4, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It would be if they were plugged in to the IFE system.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I'm selfish then because I totaly ignore it. Probably because I hear it way too often and I could recite it too.

On my last flight Chinese seat shifters were removed from exit row because they couldn't understand any English.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Was a short haul A319 so no IFE.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by squeeler

I think this is selfish, and disrespectful to the CC
Yes I agree, however we shouldn't be surprised. You meet those sort of people in everyday life.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Indeed, just because headphones are in doesn't mean that there is actually any music etc being played.

Fuss over nothing, each to their own.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I take a serious view of this.
If they are not prepared to listen to the safety briefing, they should be moved from the Exit row. And their behaviour should be recorded on their files.

I do not want those clowns in the exit row when I am on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.