Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in FRA (LAN to BA) Query

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Connecting in FRA (LAN to BA) Query

Am sure some of the wiser minds on here would be able to help.

Am flying back from MAD to LHR this weekend, via FRA, taking in J on LAN's 787 service MAD-FRA, before coming home on the last BA flight of the night. Having never been to FRA before, could someone assist with:
- how easy is it to connect
- will the fact that LAN's MAD-FRA service being run as extra-Schengen mean I have to reclear security at FRA
- will reclearing security impact my ability to buy liquids in MAD?

As ever, assistance appreciated.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
The LAN MAD-FRA service is treated as a non-Schengen (even though it is an intra-Schengen). Also it docks at T1 in FRA, whereas your connecting BA will depart from T2.

As such you will have to pass from T1 to T2, quite probably requiring Schengen entry/exit as well as transfer across terminals via Skyline. I have never done this connection, so not sure whether you can remain airside on the Skyline, which would avoid border control

Whatever happens, there will also be gate security for LHR-bound BA flight at T2.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
My recollection of doing this last year was that the time between the LAN flight arriving and the last BA flight was uncomfortably short bearing in mind the necessary connection formalities at FRA. I ended up booking a cash LH flight instead since there was a later LH flight.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
The LAN MAD-FRA service is treated as a non-Schengen (even though it is an intra-Schengen). Also it docks at T1 in FRA, whereas your connecting BA will depart from T2.

As such you will have to pass from T1 to T2, quite probably requiring Schengen entry/exit as well as transfer across terminals via Skyline. I have never done this connection, so not sure whether you can remain airside on the Skyline, which would avoid border control

Whatever happens, there will also be gate security for LHR-bound BA flight at T2.
Indeed - had read that (hence my extra-Schengen comment); will see if I can investigate more on the T1-T2 connection ... with a UK passport, not so fussed about the clearing of border controls, although would like to try and stay airside if at all possible.

Originally Posted by KARFA
My recollection of doing this last year was that the time between the LAN flight arriving and the last BA flight was uncomfortably short bearing in mind the necessary connection formalities at FRA. I ended up booking a cash LH flight instead since there was a later LH flight.
I've got 1hr 55mins should everything run to plan ... does that seem short?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Maybe the timings have changed since last year? Doesn't seem too risky I guess with that amount of time.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've done this recently - on arrival at T1 you will have to clear immigration then follow signs to the T2 via Skyline. Skyline is a smallish train connecting terminals T1 and T2 where one carriage is for landside pax, other for airside pax. At T2 head to the JAL Sakura lounges - BA usually park very close to it and First Class lounge should be open (it opens at 16:00). Note there's a security at the gate, though they usually wait for those in the queue. Enjoy the flight - LAN's J is quite nice oh and avoid row 3 if you wish to look out through windows!
Old May 3, 2016, 7:05 am

T1 to T2 should take you no more than 10-15 minutes, it's really quick. I did it in the opposite direction - from JAL lounges to T1 - allowed 30 minutes to change terminals, still had about 20 minutes to check out Lufthansa's business class lounge (accessed as LAN's J pax).
Old May 3, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Maybe the timings have changed since last year? Doesn't seem too risky I guess with that amount of time.
Think it is a seasonal thing; I vaguely remember this wouldn't have been feasible had I undertaken the journey in the Winter timetable.

Originally Posted by megaloman
I've done this recently - on arrival at T1 you will have to clear immigration then follow signs to the T2 via Skyline. Skyline is a smallish train connecting terminals T1 and T2 where one carriage is for landside pax, other for airside pax. At T2 head to the JAL Sakura lounges - BA usually park very close to it and First Class lounge should be open (it opens at 16:00). Note there's a security at the gate, though they usually wait for those in the queue. Enjoy the flight - LAN's J is quite nice oh and avoid row 3 if you wish to look out through windows!
Great. Have fond memories of the JAL lounge in HND, and didn't realise they had one in FRA. Will definitely try and stop there, for one last hurrah before my BA Gold expires and I drop back to Silver.

Originally Posted by megaloman
T1 to T2 should take you no more than 10-15 minutes, it's really quick. I did it in the opposite direction - from JAL lounges to T1 - allowed 30 minutes to change terminals, still had about 20 minutes to check out Lufthansa's business class lounge (accessed as LAN's J pax).
Assume the LH lounge is only for departing LAN J pax?

Only item that remains unsolved - if I buy liquid in MAD duty free (Pedro Ximénez sherry is a steal price wise) and get it in the tamper proof bag, will that be ok for security in FRA (on the basis of same day connection from another EU airport)?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
According to Frankfurt Airport's website, the Skyline shuttle between T1 and T2 is suspended due to construction work from Monday to Friday until May 18. Since you are travelling at the weekend you should not be affected but 1hr 55mins should be enough even if you have to rely on replacement buses between the two terminals.

Only item that remains unsolved - if I buy liquid in MAD duty free (Pedro Ximénez sherry is a steal price wise) and get it in the tamper proof bag, will that be ok for security in FRA (on the basis of same day connection from another EU airport)?
The answer is yes as confirmed on this page about duty-free purchases in MAD.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 3, 2016 at 7:27 am
Old May 3, 2016, 7:23 am

Great. Have fond memories of the JAL lounge in HND, and didn't realise they had one in FRA. Will definitely try and stop there, for one last hurrah before my BA Gold expires and I drop back to Silver.
The First Class section is quite small but very nice, has same food offering as the business class section.

Assume the LH lounge is only for departing LAN J pax?
Correct, only for departing J pax on LAN's service.

I would assume you should have no issues - security is at the gate, so they have to allow departing pax to take their shopping on board with them.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
When I did tbe FRA-MAD a while back, the designated lounge was the landside Lux Lounge (the former AA Admirals Club). Nice that they now use LH lounge.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
I made this connection in October, albeit to the later LCY flight. I remained airside but the arrangement at FRA requires you to pass through security just before the gate - and after the lounge. On the lounge, my flight seemed to coincide with a JAL flight so the lounge was crowded (BA uses JAL's Sakura Lounge). I also found the food selection unimpressive, but this was a single experience and a few months ago.

What I was impressed by was J class on LAN's B787. Enjoy.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the assistance and guidance above; all very helpful. Looking forward to trying LAN's J class and my first 787 flight.

And a Pisco Sour.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:02 am

I did the reverse last week. Transferring T2 to T 1 was relatively simple using replacement bus service. It didn't take more than a few minutes once I'd battled through the construction site! Enjoy the 787 - I was in row 5 - and the Chilean wine! Good luck with getting TPs credited - no sign of mine yet.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland

Skyline also runs airside,so the OP would not need to clear immigration at FRA at all,only security at the gate....this is what I have done in december.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.