Wiki Posts
Search

First - Gatwick vs Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS
First - Gatwick vs Heathrow

How does First out of Gatwick compare with Heathrow flights? Obviously there is no CCR or spa, but otherwise is there any difference in the product or service?
Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:50 pm

A very small dedicated check-in area at LGW.
No free spa treatments in the lounge.
No free champagne in the lounge.
No preordering of your inflight meal.
Probably no separate jetway for boarding.

Can anyone else think of any others?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
The Concorde Room at T5
Arrivals Lounge at LHR
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For me there are two reasons why I don't use LGW (1) there are no feeder services from MAN; and (2) LGW airport. I just don't like it, there is as decidedly bucket-and-spade atmosphere (nothing wrong with that in itself, it's just that I find it more difficult to relax).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The other factor is that the equipment at LGW is somewhat older, and though it is New First, and with the added space of the 777 compared to the 747, it may be a bit less smart than the LHR services. The jets concerned are often working flat out with very little downtime.

On these routes BA also has a monopoly, there isn't much alternative in First, and none at all non-stop.

On the other hand, and despite the monopoly, First is relatively inexpensive and redemptions arguably easier to track down, depending on the route and whether it's school holiday or not. There is an element of you get what you pay for here.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Been a long time since I flew F in/out of LGW, but if CW from there is anything to go by, the aircraft interiors are a bit tired compared to most of LHR fleet, older IFE etc. Apparently some refurb is planned, but no concrete news.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I have some affection for LGW, largely because if we are there we are usually going on holiday! Hopefully they will do something nice with a new lounge in the south terminal, I think there is talk of a separate F area.

We went LGW-UVF in F last year and it was a really lovely experience: nice crew (remember the LCY-JFK crews that often get so much praise are all Gatters guys and gals!), kids well looked after, decent food, lots of space for buddy seating/eating on the 777s. I think everyone in F (more or less) was going on holiday so there was a nice atmosphere. As mentioned above, it might not be the quiet/serene F night flight that you take back from JFK before work the next morning but it's horses for courses IMHO!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
LGW crew are consistently good in my experience. I think because it's a smaller fleet the crews all seem to know each other and as a base they don't seem to have had the IR issues LHR colleagues have had. Having said that...I haven't flown from there since the latest changes. I understand a number of Cabin Managers / Pursers have left and less experienced colleagues have taken on the 'new' CSM role. Not sure how that's affected morale / 'customer experience'.

I like the 777s in F. But the Gatters fleet is getting on a bit.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
No preordering of your inflight meal.
You can now preorder meals for flights departing LGW starting tomorrow.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calum
You can now preorder meals for flights departing LGW starting tomorrow.
+1.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If it's convenient (i.e. Non stop) then take Gatwick over Heathrow. Arrive later than you might, have a quick drink then enjoy the First experience. I certainly wouldn't add hours and a connection just to depart from LHR
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC
You lost me at Gatwick... With the lounge offering as it currently stands, and the often chaotic security, I would avoid it like the plague...
Old May 1, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
You lost me at Gatwick... With the lounge offering as it currently stands, and the often chaotic security, I would avoid it like the plague...
The recent upgrade to North security with its 'taxi rank' style at the start and then booths to which trays must be moved has made that particular part quick and painless.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Premium Gatwick (fast track security) is a lottery with poor odds. Main security is fast and furious. No prisoners are taken, but it's over with very quickly. GAL have made a lot of effort on this, they want people in the shops ASAP, most of them are on a profit share to GAL.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Second that about regular security. Every single time I've flown BA from LGW the past two years I've backtracked out of "premium" security (or didn't even bother checking in the first place) and gone through the regular one in lightning speed.

If you look into the "tunnel" at premium security and you can see people queueing past the boarding pass check, avoid it at all costs - you will inevitably be better off at the regular check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.