Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling the credit card used during booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold

I got a new BA Amex back in February for the introductory avios bonus, and booked a few BA flights to hit the spending target. I've now received the bonus in my BAEC account, so would like to cancel the card, but one of the trips I paid for isn't until the end of June. I know that the rules say that you must bring the relevant credit card with you to the airport (although I've never actually had to present it), but I'm not sure what the point of that is.

Is there any risk if I cancel the card that it might cause problems when I turn up for those flights? If it helps, I could keep the physical piece of plastic after the account has been cancelled...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Cancel and keep the card in the drawer until June. Nobody will check that the card is actually still valid/working if you are asked to present it at check-in.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Don't cancel the card during booking. It could interrupt the issuance of your ticket!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the OP intends to cancel AFTER having made bookings with BA (not during the booking process)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Cancel and keep the card in the drawer until June. Nobody will check that the card is actually still valid/working if you are asked to present it at check-in.
BA regularly check that your card is still valid by applying a USD 1 charge to it about a week before flight date.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by muscat
BA regularly check that your card is still valid by applying a USD 1 charge to it about a week before flight date.
Really? I've never seen this... What happens if they find out it's not valid then?

And yes, for the pedants out there, I obviously meant that the card was used during booking, and I want to cancel it weeks later, not ring up Amex while the cogs are whirring on ba.com!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I was once asked at NRT BA check-in to show the card used when booking. I'd cancelled it and disposed of it. The Japanese aren't the sort to shirk bureaucracy, but let us proceed after I'd given name, address, telephone number, etc.

Based on that, I wouldn't worry too much, but the advice above to keep the piece of plastic in a drawer and take it with you when you fly is probably safest.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muscat
And the purpose would be?

I have never heard about any airline doing this. Whilst I understand that you may be required to present the card at check-in for verification (fraud prevention) checking whether the cc is actually functioning seems to be far streched.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SK AAR
And the purpose would be?

I have never heard about any airline doing this. Whilst I understand that you may be required to present the card at check-in for verification (fraud prevention) checking whether the cc is actually functioning seems to be far streched.
Try your search function, it's been mentioned a few times on here. Not that it means you'll in some way be rejected if the card is cancelled by that stage.

The 'threat' of the card being required at check-in is really a fraud prevention issue, to prove that you've purchased the ticket legally, and so if you've cancelled the card (but maybe still have it on you) it can't really be a big issue.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I am in a similar position as the OP. But I bought my ticket through AMEX travel (there was a £50 cash back offer). Am I correct in thinking request for credit card at check-in, is only likely to occur, if you booked the flight directly with the airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.