Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Daily Mail - "Chaos" at JFK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-overtime.html
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
That sounds dreadful. Surely this is not down to an overtime ban?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
On the BA website today's 178 is showing as 50 minutes late leaving JFK and ETA 1 hour 19 minutes late.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Given how the DM likes to report news, I would say that it is difficult to say. Regardless, this is not good PR.

H
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Feel bad for the staff. Overworked and probably given loads of grief by irate customers...
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Was it immigrants, scroungers or foreigners - and what did it do to house prices? Was it connected with Diana / AlFayed etc.

Ah, the Daily Fail, where everything is a crisis and someone must be pilloried. Agree it must have been unpleasant, but an hour delay on a single transatlantic flight... Maybe their editor was on the flight hence the end of civilisation hysteria

(Now if it was not getting first choice of meal that would have been serious )

Surprised it wasn't posted here first, or did I miss it?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:47 am
Suspended

Is BA staff at JFK now all contracted?

In that case, does the freeze in OT apply to the contractor perhaps?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Was it immigrants, scroungers or foreigners - and what did it do to house prices? Was it connected with Diana / AlFayed etc.

Ah, the Daily Fail, where everything is a crisis and someone must be pilloried. Agree it must have been unpleasant, but an hour delay on a single transatlantic flight... Maybe their editor was on the flight hence the end of civilisation hysteria

(Now if it was not getting first choice of meal that would have been serious )

Surprised it wasn't posted here first, or did I miss it?
Did they forget to mention pepsi and exit row choice?

It's all downhill and DM has missed out yet more sensationalism. If only they had a chance to read some of the threads here...then they'd have a proper article.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
For a newspaper that is so widely ridiculed, it gets quoted here too much for me not to believe you're all reading it.

Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
For a newspaper that is so widely ridiculed, it gets quoted here too much for me not to believe you're all reading it.

In my case - google alert for "British Airways" threw that one up :-)
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:54 am

I had someone at lunchtime telling me how all the migrants were going to now be coming up through Africa rather than through Greece - for sure a closet DM reader. An immigrant himself who is scared of them.. I think a lot of people don't realise how sucked in they are - my mum reads it .. also an immigrant.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
There is no contradiction between ridiculing the Daily Mail and reading it. Knowing one's opponent is half the battle. And to determine that no one should read the publication (as millions do) is contradictory to an educated and open mind.

The DM does exactly what is says on the tin; it reduces complex issues to a single opinion which construcsts an image which few who read it could ever hope to achieve. The dream of protecting your bubble and the relative safety and security it brings. Issues which concern you or might lead to that bubble being compromised are ridiculed and dismissed, and instead palatable stories, or stories which vilify a constructed enemy are promoted. In the case of the immigrant reading the Daily Mail, they have probably sacrificed so much to ensure they or their family have a better life, and they wish to preserve that. Fear is a big selling factor. The problem is, those who have the most to fear are those who are vilified rather than protected. Having spent some time around the less peaceful parts of the Middle East, there were times when lying in bed feeling the ground shake under the force of bombs made me long for my middle class existence in Europe. But it shouldn't, it should remind me that the people I was trying to help were more scared than I; at least I had a roof, medical insurance, and a passport to help.

Polemic aside, the story is not without foundation. There was a problem on one flight leaving JFK. It does not seem like a pleasant experience. Overblown? Yes. Untrue? Probably not. Unique case? Nope. Editor on board? Likely, as others said.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:18 pm

Much prefer to read the Mail, the Express or sometimes the Telegraph, than the rubbish spouted in the Grauniad, So called Independent or the Mirror
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
He doesn't appear to tweet - but the 13 accounts he follows (albeit no blue tick) made me chuckle. 10 or so journalists / news accounts (and the DM - I don't include it in that category), BBC and Guardian in there, plus:
- Gary Barlow
- Phillip Schofield
- Alan Sugar

I'll stop going omni now
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

I wonder which way your political views lean!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.