Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Hong Kong - Stick with BA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I will be moving to Hong Kong in a few months and wanted to canvas opinion on whether to continue to focus my efforts on BA and Avios or try a switch to CX and Asia Miles? I'm BA Gold, with around 200k Avios. I imagine I'll be travelling back to England only a couple of times a year with most of my leisure travel being around Asia.
I know there's a similar thread on the CX forum but I wanted to get your thoughts on the ease of collection and usefulness of Avios if based in Asia.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Originally Posted by bja200
Hi all,

I will be moving to Hong Kong in a few months and wanted to canvas opinion on whether to continue to focus my efforts on BA and Avios or try a switch to CX and Asia Miles? I'm BA Gold, with around 200k Avios. I imagine I'll be travelling back to England only a couple of times a year with most of my leisure travel being around Asia.
I know there's a similar thread on the CX forum but I wanted to get your thoughts on the ease of collection and usefulness of Avios if based in Asia.

Thanks in advance.
I'm in a similar situation to you only moving to Singapore. Will watch this threat closely.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I'm in a similar situation to you only moving to Singapore. Will watch this threat closely.
There's enough space in HK and Singapore for both of you, no need to feel threatened by it. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
If you wont get 4 BA flights , then it would make sense to move.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Main question is whether or not you'll be flying BA 4 times.

I don't know much about the CX program but haven't heard great things about it. Others have suggested looking into SQ's program.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

It'll depend partly in what cabin you'll normally be in for flights around Asia, and also what you would use miles for. If in premium cabins and making outright redemptions, and you can get the 4 BA flights, BAEC may be the better bet. If in economy and trying to upgrade it could get a bit dicier.

Note the CX program is on the verge of changing dramatically next month and I haven't heard of many categories of flyer where status will become easier to earn. It'll be a tier-point based system but without the strong scale-tilting in favor of premium cabins that feature in the BAEC TP-earnings tables.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you think you can still get status with BA based on your future flying pattern, stick with BA. This is coming from a CX status holder changing over to BA, residing in HK.

Having said that, flying economy around Asia on CX doesn't earn much avios or tier points in economy. On CX you'll earn more Asia miles but not many club points (equivalent of tier points). So let us know what your future pattern will be in a bit more detail and it might help.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Originally Posted by mrvincent
There's enough space in HK and Singapore for both of you, no need to feel threatened by it. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
But I was moving first!!

On the subject of the "4 BA flights per year". Say I never fly BA again but still credited to BA and got myself 35000 TP's - Would I be entitled to Gold for life?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:30 am

I moved to HK a few years ago. I stuck with BA, my other half moved to CX.

As a general rule, if you fly mostly long haul J and above, you're better off with CX. If you fly long haul PE and below, move to BA. For short haul it doesn't really make much difference, but you will be treated better by CX as a DM than you will by BA as a Gold.

Also factor in whether you can make the minimum 4 BA flights. I make it up on short haul connections when I'm back in the UK, but if you plan to do a plain HKG-LHR-HKG you will find it tough to walk past the CX planes on the way to the BA bird.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I think the most likely scenario is that I'll be flying PE or lower. I'm thinking of using my Avios for redemptions around Asia on CX, and paying for tickets to and from England.
I hadn't thought about the 4 BA sectors needed, although I think I can probably manage them.
I also have an Amex 2-4-1 in my account. I believe I can only use this for flights originating from the UK? Flying back to London to start my holidays from there, just to use the 2-4-1 is probably a false economy, isn't it......?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by bja200
I think the most likely scenario is that I'll be flying PE or lower. I'm thinking of using my Avios for redemptions around Asia on CX, and paying for tickets to and from England.
I hadn't thought about the 4 BA sectors needed, although I think I can probably manage them.
I also have an Amex 2-4-1 in my account. I believe I can only use this for flights originating from the UK? Flying back to London to start my holidays from there, just to use the 2-4-1 is probably a false economy, isn't it......?
In that case CX is already not great in lower classes and is about to get a lot worse. In PE you will soon need 12 LHR returns to hit DM, on BA its 8 and a bit for Gold.

If you can, keep on an open return from LHR. ex-LHR is a lot cheaper than ex-HKG, even with a change fee here and there.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The most popular course of action from those in a similar position to you is to fly CX and credit the flights to BAEC. Only flying BA in order to get the 4 qualifying flights in and to use your 2-4-1 voucher.

Doing that will allow you to come on here and bore everyone by telling us how wonderful flying CX is compared to BA.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BA EC
If you wanna redeem short haul flights from HK, Avios are more value of money.
Lets say, Hong Kong - Osaka, on the same CX flight, it requires 20000AVIOS or
30000 Asiamiles on economy.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:59 am

Also CX are excellent at recognising BA status... AllActionKen frequently travels from PEK to HKG and is almost always welcomed by name, able to book an exit seat, given bottles of water etc even though he is usually in economy.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllActionBarbie
Also CX are excellent at recognising BA status... AllActionKen frequently travels from PEK to HKG and is almost always welcomed by name, able to book an exit seat, given bottles of water etc even though he is usually in economy.
That is very true. I was astonished the first time I flew CX (I think I was only Silver at the time) when the cabin manager (not sure what the title is) came over to welcome me on board, thanked me, asked what my first choice of meal was etc. Never had anything like that recognition on BA and have had it everytime since on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.