Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying to Belfast from London - not a domestic flight?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

I was checking-in at LHR T5 last week with my 2 young children. I checked in my luggage and was asked for my passport. I said that I didn't have it with me and, as it is a domestic flight, I didn't need one. I told her that I was prepared to show her my driving license as ID, but she said that the children wouldn't be able to fly without ID.

She asked her colleague next to her for confirmation that "Belfast is like Dublin, isn't it". Her colleague said to call the helpline for confirmation.

It was at this point that I got a bit annoyed - I said that if I was travelling to Edinburgh I wouldn't need it, so why should Belfast, as part of the same country, need it. She said it was for my security .

I knew for a fact that I didn't need a passport, and had my driving license with me. Time was running a bit short and I was agitated that two employees at the home terminal both didn't know the standard requirements for travelling domestically. Of course the phone line (sentinel or something like that?) confirmed it wasn't needed, but there wasn't much of an apology for wasting my time, more a justification that it was for my own good that these things are being checked....

Maybe they should read the website

Identification on UK internal flights
If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years old do not require identification to travel within the UK.

I appreciate that different countries have different passport and visa requirements, but is this not part of the "check-in staff 101" course?!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:26 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

They can't get the rules right for lounge access. Do you really expect them to know domestic rules on flights?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Well, that made me chuckle.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Am I surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes. I certainly feel for you LondonAndy.

H
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I thought you had to show photographic ID when checking in luggage even on domestic flights?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:05 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I thought you had to show photographic ID when checking in luggage even on domestic flights?
Yes you do. Or your BA exec card. The agent however demanded OPs passport and their children's ID.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
No ID needed by BA, except if checking luggage when a BAEC card will suffice.

Do be aware that the Police at either end have been known to ask for photographic ID on occasions. Police in NI can ask for photo ID under anti-terrorist legislation though it's been ages since I've been asked even when flying. I have seen police monitoring inbound flights and they even have podiums in arrivals.

Occasionally on departure from Belfast the Home Office perform checks on those departing, even when there are only domestics leaving. This I presume is due to the open land border with the Republic acting as a potentially unguarded entry point to GB.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I never understood what is the big deal to carry a photographic ID,especially when travelling this far. For me it is just easier to give the agent my ID,than to argue with them and risk missing my flight.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:56 pm

Had to produce passport to security in T5 last month when opting out of the body scanner. I was on a Domestic.

About 18 months ago, I was detained under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act at LBA when I couldn't produce my passport. Police officer wouldn't accept that I couldn't produce what I didn't have. Off I went for 'an interview' and a thorough search.

Palmer
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I never understood what is the big deal to carry a photographic ID,especially when travelling this far. For me it is just easier to give the agent my ID,than to argue with them and risk missing my flight.
Just under one third of the UK population currently have no government issued photographic ID of any description. Either they don't have a passport, military / police ID, or driving licence, or it's out of date.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:18 pm

What ID is 'officially' required when flying without luggage domestically, any?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pazza2000
What ID is needed when flying without luggage domestically, any?
None. HBO and you don't need anything, you won't be asked for ID either, but you'd be advised to have your BAEC card handy, just in case.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Palmer
Had to produce passport to security in T5 last month when opting out of the body scanner. I was on a Domestic.

About 18 months ago, I was detained under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act at LBA when I couldn't produce my passport. Police officer wouldn't accept that I couldn't produce what I didn't have. Off I went for 'an interview' and a thorough search.

Palmer
My commiserations, horrendous piece of legislation given no need to have any suspicions and close to zero protections for the individual. If I was put through that it would probably put me off flying for a while
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Originally Posted by bd95
No ID needed by BA, except if checking luggage when a BAEC card will suffice.
Is it stated anywhere that you actually need ID if checking luggage? In the Baggage essentials section it doesn't say anywhere that you need additional ID.

I'll ask my 4 year old to get photo ID that he can carry around with him next time . I had volunteered to show my photo ID, but that wasn't enough.

Originally Posted by pazza2000
What ID is 'officially' required when flying without luggage domestically, any?
None, as posted in the first post:
Identification on UK internal flights
If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years old do not require identification to travel within the UK.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LON-BFS is one of the shortest flights in the BA network

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.