Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with an 8 year old- BA have sat us apart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold

(Probably displaying my naivety here)

Flying with my son on Sunday in CE. I stupidly believed the blurb online that BA would sit us together, and didn't (pay) to prebook seats. Checking in MMB we are in different rows, and there don't appear to be 2 seats together free.

What are the chances this will get sorted before boarding?

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
(Probably displaying my naivety here)

Flying with my son on Sunday in CE. I stupidly believed the blurb online that BA would sit us together, and didn't (pay) to prebook seats. Checking in MMB we are in different rows, and there don't appear to be 2 seats together free.

What are the chances this will get sorted before boarding?

Thanks
Fairly good I would say. I have been moved a few times to accomodate this. This should happen by OLCI or worst-case at the airport.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You won't be allowed to depart like this. SOmeone will be shifted.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by BA6501
You won't be allowed to depart like this. Someone will be shifted.
Yes, definitely 100%
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Give them a call. They may sort you out instantly and help make Saturday more relaxed.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:48 pm

Didn't we learn on here that 'next to' could include being behind or in front of your child? BA have pre-allocated these seats as there's a kid in the booking (remember that most passengers don't get these pre-allocations) but it would be a pretty poor turn of events if they didn't sort it out to your liking.

I'd give them a call now if you can be bothered, and if they can't help get it fixed at the airport.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Thank you everyone for your prompt replies

We are staying right next to LGW tomorrow night, so I may just pop over to a BA desk when we get there. I don't fancy spending an age hanging on the 'phone tonight. (lowly blue, but not for long.)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No point going tonight - I've found that they can't really access the next day's flights (at least, I've tried to get a BP printed at T5 for the next day without success, on multiple occasions).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just tell him to start crying and shouting...'I WANT MY DADDY'!!
That'll soon instigate a seat swap.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I would get on the phone if I were you. I wouldn't bank on them being able to sort it late on tomorrow.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Thank you everyone for your prompt replies

We are staying right next to LGW tomorrow night, so I may just pop over to a BA desk when we get there. I don't fancy spending an age hanging on the 'phone tonight. (lowly blue, but not for long.)
I'd still suggest calling. Wait times aren't usually too long IME, and you don't know how long it'll take at LGW.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'd still suggest calling. Wait times aren't usually too long IME, and you don't know how long it'll take at LGW.
I did call. They assured me (!) that it would be sorted out at the airport, and that we would be sat together.

If it doesn't work out, the screaming "I want my Daddy" gambit will be implemented.....

Last edited by Gastrocnemius; Feb 12, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA
Same issue here. On previous flights with our son in both Y and CE we've been allocated a seat next to him.

Next week we are off to Rome in CE from LGW (booked last year during the £150 rtn sale) and we have bafflingly been allocated three window seats, one behind the other. I say bafflingly because the aisle seat next to each of us is unoccupied.

I called BA twice today and received the same response each time "If you want to sit together you'll have to pay". Got nowhere explaining that we were currently sitting in breach of their policy.

I might just wait until OLCI. Our son is old enough to happily sit by himself. I suspect he'd prefer to!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
S Got nowhere explaining that we were currently sitting in breach of their policy.
Until you are sat on the plane they aren't in breach of anything.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:22 pm

You mean other than the policy which states that suitable seats will be allocated 3 days before the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.