Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Thank you, thought so, I am sure we will enjoy WT+, is WT + the new cabin on this route?
It depends on the aircraft.

Originally Posted by oneworldmonger
Hi all,

Sorry if this was previously addressed, but when did BA start charging their ridic surcharges TATL on AA metal? Looking at ORD-LHR for 40k avios + $729 for coach! Any workarounds? Thanks!
For a long time. The YQ is set by AA, BA charges this on awards but AA does not.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:39 am

I booked an award ticket using Avios from MAA to KUL, one way in MH business class. I paid 20,000 avios + $21.

Now I want to change it to economy class, and change the departure date to three days before. Should I call to request this change? Or cancel the original booking and make a new one?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure there is any particular advantage in changing rather than booking the new one online and cancelling this one online. I think I would just book the new one and cancel the existing one online.

You will get back all your avios for the cancelled booking but you will not get back the $21.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:30 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
hey guys and gals!

would this work with a 2-4-1 as an open jaw?

LHR-SCL
LIM-LGW

its past 8pm so I cant call gold line but since LIM goes into LGW instead of LHR does it still count as open jaw rules?

Alternative is to book separate one ways i guess but then I wouldn't book on 2-4-1 for the return to LGW which means lots more avios!

Last edited by flylikelinz; Sep 26, 2016 at 1:31 pm Reason: updated incorrect wording
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by linzbh
hey guys and gals!

would this work with a 2-4-1 as an open jaw?

LHR-SCL
LIM-LGW

its past 8pm so I cant call gold line but since LIM goes into LGW instead of LHR does it still count as open jaw rules?

Alternative is to book separate one ways i guess but then I wouldn't book on 2-4-1 for the return to LGW which means lots more avios!
Yes that should be fine but you will obviously have to call. As long as the distance between point B-C is less than that between points A-B C-A which it is. It's the same zones as in London and South America so get on the phone first thing or you can call using the numbers in the Dashboard. I am pretty sure just because it's LHR/LGW that doesn't make any difference.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes that should be fine but you will obviously have to call. As long as the distance between point B-C is less than that between points A-B C-A which it is. It's the same zones as in London and South America so get on the phone first thing or you can call using the numbers in the Dashboard. I am pretty sure just because it's LHR/LGW that doesn't make any difference.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
Great! thanks the info. Plenty availability for the dates I have in mind so I will wait till morning. Cheers!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:20 am

Sorry if this has been asked already but with it still being BST, does reward availability open up at 00.00hrs or 01.00hrs? Going to be attempting to book my first 2-4-1 next week

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Hi Everyone - quick couple of questions regarding the Reward Flight Saver program.

I just opened an Avios account (typically fly Star Alliance) in advance of a trip to South Africa. I'm planning to use Avios for several flights in Southern Africa, and have Amex membership rewards that I plan to convert to Avios.

I want to use the Reward Flight Saver program and pay the significantly lower taxes on these reward flights. I haven't collected Avios yet, so I need to collect at least one point before making any reward bookings.

Does transferring my amex points to Avios count as 'collecting'? i.e. would I be eligible for RFS as a 'regular collector' once I transfer amex points?

If not, what are some non-flight, hotel or car rental options to earn Avios in Canada?

Sorry if this has been posted already but did a few searches and couldn't find anything either here or online in general.

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aprameya
I just opened an Avios account ...
In case it makes a difference, can you clarify whether you opened an account with avios.com or with British Airways Executive Club?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
In case it makes a difference, can you clarify whether you opened an account with avios.com or with British Airways Executive Club?
I opened with British Airways Executive Club. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hi,

im trying to use avios to get to vic falls/livingstone from jnb-taxes fees seem very high-is this not a good use of avios?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
hi,

im trying to use avios to get to vic falls/livingstone from jnb-taxes fees seem very high-is this not a good use of avios?
Have you earned any Avios in your BAEC account within the past 12 months? That is a requirement in order to be able to redeem for Reward Flight Savers, which have reduced cash components.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i see - thanks-i havent..
how much does that reduce it by?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
i see - thanks-i havent..
I know that on intra-Europe RFS redemptions, the cash component for a one-way in Economy is 15 GBP, or about $27 USD. I think intra-Africa RFS redemptions have a comparable cash component.

You can transfer in Avios from Amex MR, Chase UR, or SPG to reactivate your eligibility for RFS redemptions. Or just take a survey at Rewards for Thoughts to earn a few hundred Avios to accomplish the same thing.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by guv1976
I know that on intra-Europe RFS redemptions, the cash component for a one-way in Economy is 15 GBP, or about $27 USD. I think intra-Africa RFS redemptions have a comparable cash component.
Intra-Europe, it's currently £17.50 each way in economy, £25.00 each way in Club. In southern Africa, I think it's £28.00 each way in economy, £32.00 each way in Club.

If the actual taxes, fees and charges are less than the RFS fixed amount, then you pay the lower amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.