Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2016 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Relax! It's vanishingly unlikely it was corked. I was trained to sommelier standard on a course paid for by a UK supermarket I was a wine advisor for. I would often find customers returning the last dregs of wine saying they were corked. On only one occasion was it true. It is a truly horrid smell when it is advanced and even an ignormaous would know.

Wear a pair of socks for a week then leave it the rain for another week and then dry it on a radiator. You'll get the idea. I kept that bottle to show customers what real corked wine is.

I was sent on the course because of my interest in wine and the customer service desks incapability of dealing with returned alcohol. They had a 3 litre bottle of Smirnoff returned as faulty. It had been refilled with tap water complete with floating bits. Not only did they get Ł60 for the 'faulty' bottle, but a review of the CCTV tapes revealed they had stolen it (and 3 other bottles) in the first place. Had to admire them for sheer cheek.
Sounds more like the crew member was making a subtle joke at the expense of the guy who said it was corked - if she was genuinely worried that it was corked, surely she wouldn't have continued to serve it!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I then spent the next 10/15 minutes sipping my potentially corked wine wondering whether it actually was corked and feeling like a bit of a plonker- this is the problem when you are an easily pleased simpleton like me, you could serve me ASDA value paint stripper from Belarus and pass it off as premium wine and I wouldn't be any the wiser
Not an expert in wine, I can more or less tell red from white, but real corked wine is where the cork has rotted in the bottle and the wine has an unpleasant taste and smell. I would say it's impossible for your wine to have been corked as surly bottles of wine on aircraft are all screw capped as I doubt pointy bottle openers are allowed on board. If there was a Do you know that I want you to think I am a wine expert (DYKTIWYTTIAWE) behavior it was not you.

BUt it does remind me of my own sort of DYKWIA story.

My boss was sounding off about wine, including in passing that he considered himself a ABC person (anything but Chardonnay).

Now while I know little about wine I do know what some rather nice wines are made with Chardonnay grapes. So I innocently asked him what he thought of Chablis.

We were treated then to a 5 minute monologue of how good it was, and which were the most expensive etc, which he had tried. It was rather spoiled when I then asked what sort of grapes went into Chablis...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Hahaha I love this thread. I have quite a few funny stories from over the years but am always worried that it might be someone on here. I am still waiting for the day when I hear someone actually say the famous words.

For 2016 I shall regale you with a personal DYKWIA at my own expense. Coming back from DFW a few days ago (sat upstairs) I requested a white wine only to be told that "there were three" (fair enough) and having been told what the choices were I requested the Chardonnay. I was then given a glass to taste and having done so confirmed to the CC that I thought it was fine, to which she raises an eyebrow and says "oh the gentleman across the aisle thinks it's corked". I then spent the next 10/15 minutes sipping my potentially corked wine wondering whether it actually was corked and feeling like a bit of a plonker- this is the problem when you are an easily pleased simpleton like me, you could serve me ASDA value paint stripper from Belarus and pass it off as premium wine and I wouldn't be any the wiser
That's so funny! We had a guy on a recent JFK-LHR trip that insisted the white was corked, only to be shown that the bottle was a screw-top!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:09 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's so funny! We had a guy on a recent JFK-LHR trip that insisted the white was corked, only to be shown that the bottle was a screw-top!
Brilliant!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:31 am

It can still be 'corked' if it's a screw top...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
It can still be 'corked' if it's a screw top...
This is true. One of the more fascinating things I learnt during a wine tasting experience in New Zealand. Our guide said it's not corked but 'screwed'

H
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Hoch
This is true. One of the more fascinating things I learnt during a wine tasting experience in New Zealand. Our guide said it's not corked but 'screwed'

H
Quality!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Relax! It's vanishingly unlikely it was corked. I was trained to sommelier standard on a course paid for by a UK supermarket I was a wine advisor for. I would often find customers returning the last dregs of wine saying they were corked. On only one occasion was it true. It is a truly horrid smell when it is advanced and even an ignormaous would know.

Wear a pair of socks for a week then leave it the rain for another week and then dry it on a radiator. You'll get the idea. I kept that bottle to show customers what real corked wine is.
People's sensitivity to TCA* does vary remarkably. Low levels of TCA might be undetectable for some people whilst for others it can completely ruin a wine. And it's not really related to how much of a wine geek you are either; some people can smell it in really low concentrations and others can't.

* TCA = trichloroanisole, the chemical which causes a wine to be corked.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cardelia
People's sensitivity to TCA* does vary remarkably. Low levels of TCA might be undetectable for some people whilst for others it can completely ruin a wine. And it's not really related to how much of a wine geek you are either; some people can smell it in really low concentrations and others can't.
I was very interested by Jancis Robinson's observation about this extending even to some wine professionals, when writing in the FT about wine experts versus amateurs:-
Even here, individuals vary enormously in their sensitivity to the different compounds responsible for them. Some wine professionals, for example, are unable to pick out which wines are corked, or spoilt by cork taint, because they are insensitive to trichloroanisole, or TCA, the compound responsible.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
you could serve me ASDA value paint stripper from Belarus and pass it off as premium wine and I wouldn't be any the wiser
so much for bon vivant
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Kungpo
Originally Posted by Hoch

H
Quality!
Nooo...KWALITY!!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Cardelia

* TCA = trichloroanisole, the chemical which causes a wine to be corked.
How is that pronounced - tri-chloro-anis-ole ? How appropriate!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
There are a number of things that could have gone wrong with a wine. And there are different levels of 'corked'. I've had corked wines that just seemed a bit off, when another bottle in the same case were great. Other corked wines were completely bad and undrinkable. Another thing that can go wrong is that the wine can have a metallic taste. I've sent bottles back for that, generally with a comment like: "Are you sure this wine is supposed to taste like this"?

In my experience though, I have have probably been lucky and haven't come across that many bad wines. But any wine could be corked.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Was checking in this morning for a CX flight at HKG in town check in. There were 3 counters open: 1xF ;1xJ ;1xY. There were pax being checked in at both J and F counters,but the Y counter was free.

I was behind a gentleman and when he approached the top of the queue,the agent from Y desk called him over,to which he replied:"I am a oneworld Emerald,I am entitled to First Class check in". The agent told him that she would happily check him in,as the other desks are busy processing other customers.He refused and kept waiting for the F desk to finish processing the other customer. I quickly approached the Y desk and I was done with check in before the F desk started processing him.

It would be OT,but the guy had BA Gold tags on his hand baggage.

I mean,why are some people happy to waste their time and the time of others,just to be able to check in at the F desk?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I mean,why are some people happy to waste their time and the time of others,just to be able to check in at the F desk?
It's all part of the pantomime when acquiring top airline status. Like those who as soon as they hit Gold start getting the hump when they aren't given a personal welcome on board in front of the minions. It's almost as if they think they've become God rather than Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.