Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"When I get a minute, yeah?"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

"When I get a minute, yeah?"

We were just asked to leave the first lounge at Gatwick. I'd tried to top up our champagne as we left but the single bottle was empty.

We found a pair of seats in the Galleries lounge and asked a staff member for a refill. "When I get a minute, yeah?" was the snapped response.

Is it my fault that they are so stretch. Have I set my expectations of polite service too high?

Fifteen minutes later and still waiting for that refill BTW. Too frightened to ask again.

EDIT: And there it is - it has arrived, approx 30 minutes after ordering. It's Castelnau. Not quite the refill that we had hoped for. Not the Taittinger we had enjoyed in the other lounge. Time to move on. Thankfully, BA have given us about 10 minutes to neck it before boarding.

Last edited by MSN095; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:41 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by MSN095
We were just asked to leave the first lounge at Gatwick. I'd tried to top up our champagne as we left but the single bottle was empty.

We found a pair of seats in the Galleries lounge and asked a staff member for a refill. "When I get a minute, yeah?" was the snapped response.

Is it my fault that they are so stretch. Have I set my expectations of polite service too high?

Fifteen minutes later and still waiting for that refill BTW. Too frightened to ask again.
Seems to be par for the course these days in Flounge at LGW, your experience is very similar to what I experienced on Monday morning.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Presumably there will be a whole bunch of people here looking at P45's with their January pay-packet...

It's not a good situation, but you can quite see why morale may be in the toilet.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unacceptable either way, and unusual at LGW in my experience. However I have noticed a few new members of staff who I haven't seen before. The BS staff were indeed going to be made redundant in January, there was a subsequent press report suggesting that in fact no one would be made redundant but it was unclear if that related to BA or BS staff specifically. Having said that, I doubt anyone would be unemployed for too long in that neck of the wood, particularly in Hospitality, many companies in LGW are short staffed.

Anyway, ask for the BS duty manager, or speak to the BA staff on the front desk to complain, it may not be very British but it is likely to have a better outcome than whinging online here.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't actually see anything wrong with the response. How it was said may offend some people especially if they're gasping for more drink.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

We're sat at the gate, waiting for the flight to be called. I agree with HIDDY - we were gasping after our one drink in the thirst lounge. It's our fault for turning up at the lounge with less than two hours before departure with the expectation of enjoying a couple of glasses before a long weekend. Shame on us.

C-W-S, thank you for your help, as always. We did the British thing and rather than complain, we've headed for the gate.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Next time don't be British, instead be a Flyertalker and order two glasses each once you are in club terraces (anticipating the long delay) after first mixing a stiff lounge cocktail 'traveller' from the F lounge @:-)

After all lounge runs can be thirsty work and you can't be expected to mix with regular 'club' pax without some lubrication.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm sure they were doing something far more important, which meant they couldn't help a customer with a reasonable request...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bafan
I'm sure they were doing something far more important, which meant they couldn't help a customer with a reasonable request...
Well to be fair to the GC service staff you can't expect them to drop everything just because a refugee from the F lounge turns up and requests a glass of Champagne.

I suspect if they'd added a 'Sir' at the end of their ''when I get a minute'' comment this thread wouldn't have been posted.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why were you asked to leave the lounge? Or was it quittin' time?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why were you asked to leave the lounge? Or was it quittin' time?
BA strives for the ultimate in cleanliness, so closes its Gatwick first class lounge at 3pm each day for cleaning. It opens again the next morning, and gold card holders are asked to move to the business class lounge in the meantime.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well to be fair to the GC service staff you can't expect them to drop everything just because a refugee from the F lounge turns up and requests a glass of Champagne.
So how long is an acceptable time to wait for champagne after ordering at a busy time?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Not that I've ever requested champagne before, but it's certainly not the response I would expect to hear. I would be surprised if it was meant the way it came accross, but non the less the 30 minute wait for a 30 second job is not acceptable.

The LGW staff in GC must be under increasing pressure, but compromising service standards is not the way to deal with it in my eyes. Probably not worth a complaint now, but at the time I agree that a quick word with the BS GC duty manager would probably have been the best course of action in this instance.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 710 77345
BA strives for the ultimate in cleanliness, so closes its Gatwick first class lounge at 3pm each day for cleaning. It opens again the next morning, and gold card holders are asked to move to the business class lounge in the meantime.
That's what I thought. I unfortunately fly through LGW enough that I know you are making the first bit up/trying to be funny at my expense.

ETA: in case it was't obvious (after a few G&Ts)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
So how long is an acceptable time to wait for champagne after ordering at a busy time?
Obviously 30 minutes is pushing it but I would never have sat that long anyway. I'd have assumed it had slipped her mind and enquired further or gone and poured myself a glass of wine instead.
No big deal really especially in what is just an airport lounge. I do accept others expect much higher standards of service than me though.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's what I thought. I unfortunately fly through LGW enough that I know you are making the first bit up/trying to be funny at my expense.
I would never be anything other than serious at all times here However, the next bit is absolutely true:

Originally Posted by BA when discussing the closure
The changes to the closure times are designed to have minimal impact on our Gold members of our Executive Club, meaning we can focus on refreshing, replenishing and cleaning the lounges to the high standards that our customers expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.