Search

Trouble Booking Reward Flights on Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Trouble Booking Reward Flights on Qatar

Hi,

I've had trouble booking return flights on Qatar using Avios...the BA website refuses to price them...

Rang the Gold line and they only way they could do it was to create two separate bookings...

Is this other peoples experience...??

Chris
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:23 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Chris_G

Is this other peoples experience...??
Yes, I tried to book GRU EZE on QR a couple of hours ago and that would not work online either. I am averse to phone calls so just went to the QR site and paid for it.

I think there are FTers that consider it wiser to have two separate bookings anyway. Happy you got your tix
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Didn't know that Qatar flew that route...interesting to know that...

I think there's something dysfunctional with Qatar relationship with One World and BA in particular. I hate the way that I'm denied entry to their "Al Mourjan" main Business Lounge at Doha and you're shuffled off to a lounge dedicated to One World types.

It wouldn't be too bad but for the fact that its right under a huge neon bill board sized sign, that illuminates the whole place, constantly changes colour...and threatens to induce a fit...

Limited booze and food as well...

Chris
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:50 am

Yes you are right about two apparent J lounges at DOH but I don't think that's dysfunctional, more gaming the system. I presume you mean you were flying Y but with status because I went to the Al Mourjan lounge on a CX J ticket. The OneWorld status lounge is a better option if you like to serve your self rather than be fussed over.

Of course in a parallel universe there is probably a Qatari making exactly the same argument about Galleries First and the Concorde Room at T5.

As for the award system not working, I don't have a clue why they cannot be booked online.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:31 am
Original Poster

and neither did the staff on the Gold Line who apparently have escalated this issue before to no avail...Chris
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Yes, I tried to book GRU EZE on QR a couple of hours ago and that would not work online either
I booked that route online earlier this year using Avios with no difficulties...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I think there's something dysfunctional with Qatar relationship with One World and BA in particular. I hate the way that I'm denied entry to their "Al Mourjan" main Business Lounge at Doha and you're shuffled off to a lounge dedicated to One World types.
They are just following BA's lead, where you have the CCR at LHR for BA F passengers and a separate F lounge for Emerald passengers.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I booked that route online earlier this year using Avios with no difficulties...
Must be a temporary problem then. How much was it out of interest?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:09 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The lounge access query is regularly discussed on the QR Forum. Don't be shy - come say hi.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Didn't know that Qatar flew that route...interesting to know that...

It wouldn't be too bad but for the fact that its right under a huge neon bill board sized sign, that illuminates the whole place, constantly changes colour...and threatens to induce a fit...

Limited booze and food as well...

Chris
Those neon bill boards are awful! They need to go. They are even worse when walking to arrivals as it is on a higher level and therefore you are closer to them. I have to cover my eyes until I have passed them. What with the boards and the stupid overpriced horror movie bear, the central area of DOH is not nice.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Must be a temporary problem then. How much was it out of interest?
Alt least I'm happy about the flight . Its return RUH to DOH on 31st Dec. Qatar F class out and economy back. Cost 18k and 4.5k avios respectively + about 40 quid in total (can't remember the split between the flights).

Why F class on such a short flight...?? Because the immigration queues at DOH are rubbish and on New Years eve will be even more so. However, if you fly F class on Qatar, you can simply exit stage left through a dedicated lounge with its own immigration officers .

This will save about an hour of waiting and means I shall be in the W Hotel, drink in hand and surrounded by off duty Qatar stewardess all the sooner

No point in paying for F on the way back as I've been upgraded on 2 out of 2 flights so far anyway.

Happy New Year...Chris ^
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Alt least I'm happy about the flight . Its return RUH to DOH on 31st Dec. Qatar F class out and economy back. Cost 18k and 4.5k avios respectively + about 40 quid in total (can't remember the split between the flights).

Why F class on such a short flight...?? Because the immigration queues at DOH are rubbish and on New Years eve will be even more so. However, if you fly F class on Qatar, you can simply exit stage left through a dedicated lounge with its own immigration officers .

This will save about an hour of waiting and means I shall be in the W Hotel, drink in hand and surrounded by off duty Qatar stewardess all the sooner

No point in paying for F on the way back as I've been upgraded on 2 out of 2 flights so far anyway.

Happy New Year...Chris ^
Worth noting that as a BAEC Gold, you have free access to the Al Maha Services team - who will meet you as you exit the aircraft (in any class), and take you to a dedicated immigration area.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've noticed that ba.com has a problem pricing QR reward itineraries where neither the departure or arrival point is in the UK. It's also far from uncommon for QR rewards to disappear completely on occasions. I haven't experienced the problem with 2 distinct booking though.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Worth noting that as a BAEC Gold, you have free access to the Al Maha Services team - who will meet you as you exit the aircraft (in any class), and take you to a dedicated immigration area.
OK, OK...I've got to ask...how do I arrange that...?? Chris
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:20 am

OK, OK...I've got to ask...how do I arrange that...?? Chris
You'll need to contact Al Maha Services - info on this website http://www.al-mahaservices.com/qrsos-web/services.html

Ignore the payment info, just find the email address at the bottom, and get in touch with them.

We have had mixed reports on the QR Forum, with some claiming it is only available to QR Privilege Club Gold and Platinum, and others claiming OWE have access too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.