Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 First - Incorrect USB Socket Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I appreciate that this is a) a very niche topic and b) very much a first world problem, but:

I've come to learn that despite most people being frustrated at not being able to plug a USB cable in correctly the first time around, it's actually very easy to tell which way it should go in as the logo is always printed/embossed/engraved on the 'top' of the male end of the cable.

Since learning this I've found it to be true every time (apart, of course, from when the sockets are mounted on their sides). However, on a recent trip in F on the A380, I noticed that the sockets in the cubby hole have been installed 'upside down', which meant that when I went to plug in my cable with the logo on the top, it didn't go in. A very small inconvenience and a minor detail, but it did surprise me. The team at BA who signed it off may not have been aware, but I would have thought the seat designers would have been. Or perhaps that particular seat (3A) had it the wrong way around...either way, just thought I'd share!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Well I'm glad I read that.

Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Op, that made me chuckle, thank you for brightening my day! I'll be on a 777 in f tonight so i'm going to check it out (assuming there is a usb...) just in case it is spreading....
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Blue
Can somebody create a wiki entry with a list of planes, seats and which orientation the plug is?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

We must wipe the scourge of incorrectly aligned USB sockets from the face of this planet!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA
Kathryn Doyle is the person to notify
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Doesn't a USB cable have three sides? It only works the third time for me
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Midhaul 321s have the same issue, in CW at least
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Typical BA destroying the brand, I bet EK have got them the right way round

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:54 am

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by dilpat84
I appreciate that this is a) a very niche topic and b) very much a first world problem, but:

I've come to learn that despite most people being frustrated at not being able to plug a USB cable in correctly the first time around, it's actually very easy to tell which way it should go in as the logo is always printed/embossed/engraved on the 'top' of the male end of the cable.

Since learning this I've found it to be true every time (apart, of course, from when the sockets are mounted on their sides). However, on a recent trip in F on the A380, I noticed that the sockets in the cubby hole have been installed 'upside down', which meant that when I went to plug in my cable with the logo on the top, it didn't go in. A very small inconvenience and a minor detail, but it did surprise me. The team at BA who signed it off may not have been aware, but I would have thought the seat designers would have been. Or perhaps that particular seat (3A) had it the wrong way around...either way, just thought I'd share!
Yes this is correct and a stipulation of the USB IF.

It should be this way everywhere, especially in something such as a socket fixed in this way. sockets are produced for top/bottom mount for exactly this reason.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

Well, I guess this explains why the A380's been having such poor sales.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
However, on a recent trip in F on the A380, I noticed that the sockets in the cubby hole have been installed 'upside down', which meant that when I went to plug in my cable with the logo on the top, it didn't go in. A very small inconvenience and a minor detail, but it did surprise me. The team at BA who signed it off may not have been aware, but I would have thought the seat designers would have been.
I am tickled that I now have a further item to add to me mental list of things to raise should anyone in a position of power/caring ever ask me what disappoints me about BA ;-) Following a lengthy exposition, I can now end with "and on top of all of that, you've mounted the USB sockets the wrong way round on the 380"

The more reliable way that I use is that the "seam" on the metal should always be underneath, which works for non-logo'ed plugs too! (still doesn't prevent it from needing 3 tries tho)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yep.

Definitely a winner for the absolutely most inconsequential "problem" ever posted on FT.

Quite a high bar, congratulations dilpat.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

*takes a bow*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.