BA286 SFO-LHR Oct 26 cancelled ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
BA was protecting solely their revenue

Originally Posted by mpclaw
(...)
What was really madding is that BA could provide no information about the condition of the aircraft. Certainly their maintenance department had to know something.
(...)
I see reading this board that BA's poor customer service, rudeness and arrogance continued. The continued indifference was simply breathtaking as well as the continued fictitious new departure times.
(...)
So of course the bottom line is that BA was ill equipped to handle a cancelled A380.
It seems BA was interested in protecting their revenue only, thus the multiple new depature times -- they hoped to have the aircraft repaired.
Tuesday's attempt at departure was quite mysterious, as the first reason given for delay was a luggage without the owner found on the board, then there was a missing paperwork, then 1 hr silence with no information and the lights off, and around 1-1:30am they decided to return to the gate.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Just to add to the potential fun with this particular aircraft after what appears to be a busy week for it - I'm currently in LAX where it has landed, but has been delayed for 2hrs due to technical issues - I'm currently praying for a non-repeat of the OP's issues!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
got compensated for one flight only

We received check from BA for $600 as EU compensation for two flights: the cancelled Oct. 26 flight, and 24hrs delayed Oct. 27 flight.
BA interpretation of EC261 in this particular case is as follows:

I'd like to inform you that, if a passenger’s flight has been cancelled and he has been rebooked on to an alternative flight, which gets delayed – he will be only entitled to one set of EU compensation if any of the flights are eligible for EU compensation. This means that we can't offer you any further compensation

This doesn't seem logical to me as my husband went twice through the whole departure procedure: Check-in, Receiving Boarding Pass, going through Security, Boarding the plane, the plane left the gate. He got two different boarding passes.
In each case the plane didn't leave, being cancelled on the first day, and delayed by 24 hrs on the second departure.

Is there a body in Europe overseeing the airlines if they comply with EC261, that I could complain in this particular case ?
I appreciate very much all the ideas how to get compensated for both flights.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PlatinumCat
We received check from BA for $600 as EU compensation for two flights: the cancelled Oct. 26 flight, and 24hrs delayed Oct. 27 flight.
BA interpretation of EC261 in this particular case is as follows:

I'd like to inform you that, if a passenger’s flight has been cancelled and he has been rebooked on to an alternative flight, which gets delayed – he will be only entitled to one set of EU compensation if any of the flights are eligible for EU compensation. This means that we can't offer you any further compensation

This doesn't seem logical to me as my husband went twice through the whole departure procedure: Check-in, Receiving Boarding Pass, going through Security, Boarding the plane, the plane left the gate. He got two different boarding passes.
In each case the plane didn't leave, being cancelled on the first day, and delayed by 24 hrs on the second departure.

Is there a body in Europe overseeing the airlines if they comply with EC261, that I could complain in this particular case ?
On what basis have they only paid $600 for 2 flights?

As for your 'double-dip', I'm afraid you are only entitled to one payment per passenger notwithstanding the additional delay.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by PlatinumCat
I'll just throw in the suggestion that rather than lots of us piling in to discuss that there is no mechanism it would probably help OP if we let any potential ideas fill the next few posts.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'll just throw in the suggestion that rather than lots of us piling in to discuss that there is no mechanism it would probably help OP if we let any potential ideas fill the next few posts.
And how exactly would that assist the OP?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And how exactly would that assist the OP?
This has the hallmarks of a thread / question that may produce lots of input reinforcing the same views as upthread without adding anything of actionable value. It's often nicer for all when we don't do that until a few positive contributions have been made.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
As per your other thread on this PlatinumCat (which is against the FT rules btw), there was only one booking involved so only one set of EU261 compensation due. The fact that your husband went through the whole procedure twice is, unfortunately, irrelevant. He was delivered, albeit very late, to his destination on his original booking
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
This has the hallmarks of a thread / question that may produce lots of input reinforcing the same views as upthread without adding anything of actionable value. It's often nicer for all when we don't do that until a few positive contributions have been made.
That would only serve to give the OP false hopes. I'm more concerned at why BA appear only to have paid $600 for 2 delayed passengers when they should have received considerably more than that each.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That would only serve to give the OP false hopes. I'm more concerned at why BA appear only to have paid $600 for 2 delayed passengers when they should have received considerably more than that each.
I'm not suggesting that those proposals shouldn't then be discussed, simply that we let them come forth first.

I think there was one delayed passenger: OP's husband travelling to Warsaw on single booking that suffered multiple delays across multiple issued BP. I haven't pondered whether he got the right amount for a single extended delay (which is how many view this unfortunate event), but ensuring that he did might be one of the positive angles for OP .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Feb 11, 2016 at 2:19 am Reason: Added extra text re single booking
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
You only ever seem to get compensated per direction-leg of the ticket (i.e. Outbound or inbound)

Likewise you wouldn't receive two lots of compensation if your transatlantic flight was delayed, and then your internal-european second leg flight was delayed. Stopovers or long layovers confuse this issue though.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Other comments in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...pensation.html
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Foltan
Stopovers or long layovers confuse this issue though.
The Regulation says
"final destination" means the destination on the ticket presented at the check-in counter or, in the case of directly connecting flights, the destination of the last flight; alternative connecting flights available shall not be taken into account if the original planned arrival time is respected;
So if there are directly connecting flights (which is a well-defined term in the fare conditions and airline conditions of carriage, as well as from IATA) then it doesn't matter how delayed your intermediate flights are.

In particular if you have flights AAA-BBB-CCC with a long connection (not stopover) and AAA-BBB is late but you still get on your flight BBB-CCC, you receive no compensation - no matter how long you expected to be in BBB (and perhaps how much lounge hopping, work, shopping, or whatever you intended to do there). Matching the airline fare and contract basis that you are paying for transport from AAA-CCC, compensation only applies AAA-CCC no matter what happens in between. Duty of care always applies separately.

For a stopover, the final destination can only reasonably be considered the place of stopover.

Possibly, if you had a delay so long that your stopover time was reduced to zero and you could not take your onwards flight after the stopover because you had not been transported to the stopover place in time, you could claim compensation twice. I expect this is going to cause some debate with the airline, but this is the only ambiguity I can think of offhand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.