Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Flying BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

First Time Flying BA

It will be my first time flying on BA and my Father's second time(1993 April) from SFO-LHR-BCN and DXB-LHR-SFO. My Father and I are taking a cruise via the Suez Canal. We will spend the night in Barcelona at a hotel as we have seen Barcelona. In Dubai we will spend 1 night and 2 days as the ship gets in a 6 AM on Friday and our flight leaves at 1:45 AM(although loos like it got pushed back to 2:25 AM).

On the outbound we are on the 4:40 PM flight connecting in London and arriving Barcelona around 7 on the 747 and on the return were on the 747 from Dubai and the A380 back to SFO arriving around 7 PM.

We are in World Traveler and was able to assign Bulkhead seats for all but the LHR-BCN and LHR-SFO on the return which I will try to do.

How do you find the WT Cabin on BA? It seems like the seats are decent and the IFE is at seat but was wondering if its AVOD. We requested the Kosher Meal on all flights except from DXB-LHR where I requested the vegetarian.

From what I hear BA uses Hermolis out of LHR and I was wondering what they use of of SFO? How are the Kosher meals on BA? Some reviews told me its a better meal than the regular meal and get larger portions. So I was wonderin if they combine the J/Y Meal would it be the same as the WT+ KSML?

Does BA offer 2 hot meals a Hot Dinner and Breakfast from SFO and a Hot Lunch and Dinner from LHR-SFO? From Dubai will it be a Hot Breakfast served before landing at LHR around 5 AM? What do they serve upon takeoff?

I have also read there is a snack bar setup in the galley so I am assuming there are Chocolate Bars etc. Can I get Cadburry Chocolate Bars on BA?

I also read about how BA offers a good Bar Service can anyone attest to what they serve in Y?

On the short LHR-BCN Flight from Flyertalk we leave at 16:30ish and from what I read on FT there are Band 3 and 4 Flights what do I get on this flight?

I have flown Lufthansa in Y so I am assuming BA is as good or even better than LH as on BA they give you the amenity kits with eyeshade, socks, toothbrush,toothpaste etc.

A Side Note what I find most interesting is that BA has been operating these two SFO flights at the same times for many years. As I recall my Father flew on the later flight back in 1993. How many years has BA been operating these two flights on the 747-400? Some nostalgia please as relatives of mine have been flying this route and it seems like the flight# has never changed.

Also I am crediting my miles to my AAdvantage Account as I read that the BA program gives you less credit is this true?

Your opinions are most appreciative. We are flying on a Wednesday at the beginning of October and a Sunday during the last week in October.

At SFO I will do online checkin before so I assume we just drop our bags at the Fast Bag Drop. Are lines long at this Bag Drop Counter? When do the counters open?

At Dubai how is Checkin do we need to be there around 8 PM the night before?Is it very crowded on a Saturday night. When should we plan to leave our hotel for a 1:45 AM Flight?

Thanks so much in advance for your tips on flying BA.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:49 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Congrats on the post with the most questions I have ever seen on FT - all 18 of them!

No Cadburys in the Club kitchen, and definitely not in WT, and don't get your hopes up about the amenity kit, even the J bag is a little basic!

only 16 to go...

Last edited by Beano HK; Jul 23, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The "Club Kitchen" is for Club World passengers, so forget that as well

As to what happens in WT ... I have no idea.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A lot of questions there (you may find it easier to stick to 3 or so questions in a post)!

I can help on just a few of them. BA is terribly wedded to its flight numbers. When it recently restarted its service to Kuala Lumpur, after a gap of 14 years, it promptly restored the same flight numbers that it used from ages past, BA33 out, BA34 back. I've been flying BA25/26 to/from Hong Kong since I was a very small boy and the schedule hasn't changed much over that time either.

At SFO you can safely check in 90 to 75 minutes before departure, you shouldn't be waiting too long and you won't be hanging around too long before boarding either. At DXB I would say the same or a little earlier, it is a bit of a zoo there, I'm afraid to say.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Let me chime in and give you a link describing the kosher meal experience. Albeit in Business and First, I still think it will make you feel good.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...h-airways.html

The bar service in Y is mostly granola bars and so on I believe. It has been a while.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
We're getting there, one question at a time...

Originally Posted by danielonn
Also I am crediting my miles to my AAdvantage Account as I read that the BA program gives you less credit is this true?
The Avios you earn in economy will depend on your fare class. Q, O, G are the lowest with approx 1,300 points SFO-LHR, you can double that if you're in K, L, M, N, S, or V and can do better still on full fare economy.

Also, you should remember that that's just one part of the equation and need to check how many points you need for both programs to redeem points/miles for flights and also consider taxes/fees (which will be considerably higher on BA).
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Onboard service wise.
SFO- LHR
Bar round, hot dinner, hot breakfast and Tuck boxes in the galley including Cadbury chocolate.
LHR- BCN
Small sandwich and cake, small amount of veggie ones so tell the crew once you sit down.
Combined bar and tea and coffee service.
DXB-LHR
Depending on time of departure bar round, lunch , snack or breakfast bar round snack.
No tuck boxes.
LHR-SFO
Bar round, hot lunch , mid flight snack box (all veggie) hot dinner.
Tuck boxes in the galley.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
AA or BA for miles?

"Also I am crediting my miles to my AAdvantage Account as I read that the BA program gives you less credit is this true?"

It depends.... but IMO, def AA for the mileage awards, the much fewer miles needed and the greater flexibilty, but others will disagree
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers thus far. I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wemyss
and the greater flexibilty
What do you mean by 'greater flexibility'? I can't really see how Avios bookings could offer much more flexibility? I use the AA program as well as BAEC and sometimes book with AA points and each has its advantages in different situations.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Here is a very detailed trip report on SFO-LHR in BA Y.

http://flight-report.com/en/report-8578.html
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:18 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Onboard service wise.
SFO- LHR
Bar round, hot dinner, hot breakfast and Tuck boxes in the galley including Cadbury chocolate.
I stand corrected Sir! I thought it was just Mars ( Bounty bars are the ones I recall)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's in the Club Kitchen, the WT tuck boxes contain my favourite Cadburys Fredo bars.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Special Meals in World Traveler

For our upcoming flights I have requested the Kosher Meal(KSML) from SFO-London and London-SFO. From Dubai I got the Muslim Halal Meal to LHR and I was wondering how is BA"s Catering for the Special Meals.

Does British Airways use Emerites from Dubai? I heard the Halal meal is good and yes I know its different from the Kosher Meal although we are not Orthodox I like to request the special meal so as to get something better than the Cottage Pie they serve in Y.

I have flown on Lufthansa and had great Kosher Meals. From London I read that BA uses Hermolis and was wondering how the meal is.

From SFO-LHR we are on the 16:40 PM flight so I assume we get a Hot Dinner and is it a Hot Breakfast or Cold Breakfast? If its a Cold Breakfast can we expect a Bagel with Lox or is it the same Muffin/Granola they serve for the regular meal.

From London-Barcelona I know its a sandwich so no real problems there. Again we're happy to eat whatever is served not real fussy. I had a delicious sandwich on Lufthansa so I hope its the same on BA.

Our Dubai flight leaves at 1:45 AM so do they serve a Sandwich upon takeoff and a Hot Breakfast I wonder what they serve for the Muslim Meal at this early hour. I think I'll get a couple of Bar Drinks with the Sandwich and stay up to acclimate to California time and watch the IFE or perhaps sleep.

On the London-SFO flight I know there is a hot lunch we are on the second flight arriving at 7:00 PM. Does BA serve the Afternoon Tea? I wonder what they do for the Kosher meal on this flight for the second meal.

Thanks for your help. I could not really find any information about the Special Meals on Airlinemeals.net or here on FT and would like to know how is the meals to and from SFO.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't you asked these questions before on here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.