Wiki Posts
Search

BA117 Delayed - 747 - Fri 28 Aug 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Apparently engine trouble on the starboard far engine. Tests run and engineers assessing options. Already delayed by 30 mins. Could be a long delay...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Flight gone tech. Cant get off aircraft!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by billinghamn
Apparently engine trouble on the starboard far engine. Tests run and engineers assessing options. Already delayed by 30 mins. Could be a long delay...
That would be eng no 4.

Hope we are going to get one of your interesting trip reports^
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:02 am
Original Poster

First time I ever had a flight cancellation! Made some rookie mistakes in trying to get on an earlier flight to JFK.

Key problem was lack of info from BA. The only thing I was concerned about was my AA connection to LAX in F. Looks like BA have booked me on several later AA flights with AA in F. All they needed to do was tell me.

I rang the GGL line twice and three agents around T5B and got no info that put my mind at rest.

I know there were 400 pax all in the same position, but I would have been 1 less pax hassling them if they had told me what was going on.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
G-BYGF has just lumbered slowly over Tilehurst with BA117.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Interesting experience today - I've learnt a lot. My first IRROPs and I wasn't very well prepared to be honest. However it was interesting when we got back to Gate B37 with the new plane and a revised departure time of 12:00 - it was a bit of a farce. It became pretty clear early on we weren't going to be leaving at 12:00 but the explanation for the delay seemed sketchy. BA117 eventually left close to 13:00 and there were two senior customer service reps at the gate fending off irate passengers.

Initially the reason for the follow on delay appeared to be related to food not being loaded in time, then it turned into the need for an engine test (same issue as on original plane). Once we were on board, the captain made no mention of a so called engine test, so I can only assume the real reason why we were delayed almost an hour beyond our original delay will never be entirely clear.

Anyway, the flight was fine which is the most important thing. When I arrived at JFK, AA showed how to treat passengers in an IRROPs situation. Within a minute of getting off the plane at JFK, I was met by an AA guy who gave me a new boarding pass for the 17:30 to LAX (even earlier than the first flight that BA had lined me up for). The AA rep even told me that I could use the US nationals line to get through immigration more quickly. As it happened I didn't need that since I have Global Entry and I was through in no time at all.

I appreciate AA's and BA's position on dealing with this IRROPs is different, but it would be good if BA could be as effective as AA. I've got nothing but praise for AA in the way they have handled this.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
That would be eng no 4.

Hope we are going to get one of your interesting trip reports^
Another thing I have learned today!

Latest trip report is accessible via my signature. Hope you find it interesting. [My blog is hosted outside of FT].
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:06 pm

Don't forget your claim for EU261 compensation
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
Don't forget your claim for EU261 compensation
I don't think that applies to me, since I am still going to reach my final destination (HNL) on time (Sat morning). Happy to be corrected though.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by billinghamn
My first IRROPs and I wasn't very well prepared to be honest.
how will you be better prepared next time (and how can the rest of us) ?!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
AA can be excellent. I've received emails, texts, phone calls from both their auto system and from employees with their contact details who were always very helpful, been picked up in a car at lhr from the aircraft door, booked on 4 flights to gla in one day to make sure i had a seat on my ba connection from lhr that day....when aa pay attention it is brilliant and is why i have a big soft spot for them. I was only aa plat at most back then too. They always, without fail, looked after me if problems arose. Question i should probably be asking though is why i had so many delays with aa! @:-)

Ps mr b, i ring aa to get my passid in the booking, you should get your aa ref from the usual places. Hasnt stuck yet for me but i'll see in my next block of flights (booked on aa though but nowhere to put my passid this time, maybe as it is the uk aa, can't recall, just had a green tick at secure flight info after my ba number went in). Staff also sometimes think i am trying to give them the other ref for people with dodgy names! Difficult innit!

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 29, 2015 at 1:46 am
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
how will you be better prepared next time (and how can the rest of us) ?!
In future if something goes wrong, I will remember to go straight to the lounge and ask at Guest Services to sort me out. The GGL line cant help, gate agents cant help and Customer Services in the Departures area certainly cant help. Flight Connections would also be able to help but the likelihood is that there would be a queue there.

And as someone else on this forum mentioned, and I have done previously on tight connections, know what your options are before you need them. I completely forgot about the fact that AA also fly from LHR to JFK (doh...) - all I looked at were BA flights. I appreciate you can over-analyse all of these risks and tie yourself up in knots if you are not careful.

Anyway, after all the hassle of the first 747 going tech, a Jamaican woman who was taking orders in the Starbucks queue sang to me to cheer me up! That made my day. [Shame she wasn't a good singer! ]
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
AA can be excellent. I've received emails, texts, phone calls from both their auto system and from employees with their contact details who were always very helpful, been picked up in a car at lhr from the aircraft door, booked on 4 flights to gla in one day to make sure i had a seat on my ba connection from lhr that day....when aa pay attention it is brilliant and is why i have a big soft spot for them. I was only aa plat at most back then too. They always, without fail, looked after me if problems arose. Question i should probably be asking though is why i had so many delays with aa! @:-)

Ps mr b, i ring aa to get my passid in the booking, you should get your aa ref from the usual places. Hasnt stuck yet for me but i'll see in my next block of flights (booked on aa though but nowhere to put my passid this time, maybe as it is the uk aa, can't recall, just had a green tick at secure flight info after my ba number went in). Staff also sometimes think i am trying to give them the other ref for people with dodgy names! Difficult innit!
I am always confident about AA sorting me out. I'd just like a hot line to my own agent who understands my objectives (tier point running this weekend) and will make decisions accordingly on my behalf. Probably asking a bit too much to be honest.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:03 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Funny as my experience when BA1 died in Shannon mid BA/AA Tier Point run was BA were extraordinarily helpful over the phone.

I phoned the Gold Line and once the guy understood how I'd found myself in Shannon and stated "you're having a laugh" when I explained my predicament.

He immediately found the next best intra-US flights and booked them in the correct booking class.

Essentially I think a good rule of thumb is if you're outwith T-45 of scheduled time of departure of the flight you're looking to go onto, the flight will be available to the agent. Thereafter, it'll be under airport control.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191
Funny as my experience when BA1 died in Shannon mid BA/AA Tier Point run was BA were extraordinarily helpful over the phone.

I phoned the Gold Line and once the guy understood how I'd found myself in Shannon and stated "you're having a laugh" when I explained my predicament.

He immediately found the next best intra-US flights and booked them in the correct booking class.

Essentially I think a good rule of thumb is if you're outwith T-45 of scheduled time of departure of the flight you're looking to go onto, the flight will be available to the agent. Thereafter, it'll be under airport control.
That's worthwhile knowing - thanks for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.