Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

REUTERS UK: Ryanair in talks with BA on feeding l/h flights as early as November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REUTERS UK: Ryanair in talks with BA on feeding l/h flights as early as November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire

It looks like Ryanair wants to become a s/h feeder to BA, Iberia and Aer Lingus.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0QF1OP20150810

This could become interesting.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Blimey, well that would be an interesting development, mainly for DUB, where the potential must be enormous, and a bit of LGW and MAD. I went to a Easyjet presentation a few weeks ago for their frequent flyers (and it was in a Pizza Express which still makes me laugh if one compares to the BA equivalent) and they were murmuring about doing a limited amount of transfer traffic on certain routes.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Why would someone pay for a BA long haul ticket to travel FR? They may get some price sensitive Y flyers but possibly lose most W/J/F travel that doesn't start at LHR. And is it FR to STN, or is BA planning on becoming a long haul only airline and sell their LHR slots? Not April 1 is it?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He said he had spoken with IAG "in the context if IAG were to do something long-haul out of (London) Stansted," a major operational hub for Ryanair.
This is what I have found interesting maybe moving some routes into Stansted and expanding that way.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:31 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4)

Yet another example (if one is needed) that cost-cutting is horribly addictive. If this was successful on a trial basis, the logical consequence is BA ending short haul flying, as let's face it, it will never beat FR on cost and it avoids difficult brand cannabilisation issues.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It would seem to be worth reading all of the article carefully, as origin has done, before asking oneself what the chances are of any of this actually coming to pass.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:35 am

Makes no sens at all since IAG owns a Ryanair type of carrier - Vueling.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Very unusual. One is used to hearing attention grabbing press releases from FR but I can't imagine this one is totally fabricated as it mentions the long haul carriers by name. BA at STN? FR at T5? Strange times...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Not the first time this year he has raised this, it came up in January

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...et-planes.html

One would also wonder about similar possible implications if U2 followed through on their suggestion that they would enter LHR in the event of a third runway being built.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I can see this - in a price sensitive market. FR could have a monopoly for all long haul European carriers. Short haul J could be retained in certain key routes.

It's a shame. I'm one of the very few people it seems who is willing to pay up to, say, a £75 premium for a better shorthaul Y experience or pay say £300 return supplement for a J product. The problem I find is that BA is cutting the Y product so is cutting away my justification for choosing them over U2. I will not fly FR unless there is no alternative. I don't agree with the race to bottom. Sadly, lots of consumers disagree with me and are purely price sensitive.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Makes no sens at all since IAG owns a Ryanair type of carrier - Vueling.
Look at it with East European eyes: well away from VY's footprint. Lublin-DUB-Chicago would be an example, given that would be primarily a Star Alliance routing at the moment. And there are a heck of a lot of Polish folk in Chicago. It doesn't "contaminate" BA's LHR and LGW's network, FR only fly to a few places from LGW, but it adds potential from DUB when Aer Lingus enters IAG's embrace.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Interesting - thought the Virgin reference made more sense though, given absence of shorthaul there (and in same way EI provides feed to BA etc.)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Interesting move for Ryanair, but IAG group airlines have interline agreements with a whole host of carriers.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Hello, is today the 1st April, or did I miss something? This is truly bizarre!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well if you can't spot a Ryanair publicity stunt by now....

Probability of it really happening is zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.